PDA

View Full Version : New sensor

Karena1984
April 24th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I'm actually impressed this morning! Kameryn slept like a baby last night! I checked the little graph on her pump this morning and she stayed within the good range all night!! I felt a little better sending her off to school today knowing that if she starts dropping low it will alert her!! Technology is pretty amazing!!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I am assuming the school nurse is involved with her care! Having that backup should also help you feel a bit better about not being with her. Hope things go smoothly for you all!

ilive2craft2
April 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah! What a relief - technology helping the way it should. School nurses around here are the best - I hope you have one of the good ones! :) Lisa

WendyI
April 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
That's wonderful news!!

GinnyKNC
April 24th, 2013, 11:31 AM
:icon_woohoo: Kameryn!

Karena1984
April 24th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Actually there is no school nurse. She goes to a small private school. It is 3.8 miles from my driveway! ( I calculated lol) she carries a cell phone with her all the time so if she needs anything I can be there fast. Her teachers have also sat down with me so I could teach them the signs and symptoms that they need to learn. They have been awesome! Her school is the street over from the local ems and fire dept. My fiancÚ Daniel is a firefighter with them so all of them are aware of the little diabetic down the road so the school has them on speed dial! So far there has been no issues at all so I'm hoping things will stay good! I despise the public school here. I had a meeting with the principle and the nurse as the public school. They told me kameryn would have to keep her cell and meter with the nurse. I'm not comfortable with that at all. She's only 8 but she operates that pump better than most adults! She calls me before lunch and goes through the settings and calls or texts me with her sugar numbers. I adore her school for giving her the freedom to handle this like she does. They all carry glucose tabs and juice in case she needs it! It's an odd school I send her to. The grades are combined like they were years ago. It seems to work for her! She's a year ahead of most kids her age and she's learning 5th and 6th grade stuff in 3rd grade! It's truly amazing to see how much she knows! I call it a hippy school due to the fact that they want the kids to be themselves and they teach based on the individual verses a whole! Haha sorry for babbling! I am on my 4th cup of coffee!!

buckeyequilter
April 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Actually there is no school nurse. She goes to a small private school. It is 3.8 miles from my driveway! ( I calculated lol) she carries a cell phone with her all the time so if she needs anything I can be there fast. Her teachers have also sat down with me so I could teach them the signs and symptoms that they need to learn. They have been awesome! Her school is the street over from the local ems and fire dept. My fiancÚ Daniel is a firefighter with them so all of them are aware of the little diabetic down the road so the school has them on speed dial! So far there has been no issues at all so I'm hoping things will stay good! I despise the public school here. I had a meeting with the principle and the nurse as the public school. They told me kameryn would have to keep her cell and meter with the nurse. I'm not comfortable with that at all. She's only 8 but she operates that pump better than most adults! She calls me before lunch and goes through the settings and calls or texts me with her sugar numbers. I adore her school for giving her the freedom to handle this like she does. They all carry glucose tabs and juice in case she needs it! It's an odd school I send her to. The grades are combined like they were years ago. It seems to work for her! She's a year ahead of most kids her age and she's learning 5th and 6th grade stuff in 3rd grade! It's truly amazing to see how much she knows! I call it a hippy school due to the fact that they want the kids to be themselves and they teach based on the individual verses a whole! Haha sorry for babbling! I am on my 4th cup of coffee!!

Sounds like a plan...and sounds like a wonderful school!

Karena1984
April 24th, 2013, 11:57 AM
It is! I had my doubts in the beginning with the combined grades. She's had the same teacher for three years! I have realized that three years makes for a really good bond though! Those people are like family now!

Divine Daisy
April 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
the school sound great and the new gadget too. I am sure she will do better with the new setup

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
It is! I had my doubts in the beginning with the combined grades. She's had the same teacher for three years! I have realized that three years makes for a really good bond though! Those people are like family now! I was a principal of a small Catholic School with combined grades. It was an adjustment for me to also teach in those circumstances, but research shows that "preview and review" is a benefit to most kids, they get to preview what the higher grade is learning, and review what the lower grade is learning. I also accellerated kids in my school who were definitely needing that extra challenge, and it turned out very well for the kids! Socially it worked better for the girls than the boys, but at least the school is able to meet your daughter's needs. My grandkids go to public school, and are thinking of changing to private school for this very reason. And I worked in public school long enough to know that the cellphone, meter thing would be an issue here also. And when they cut funding, the school nurses were the first thing to go. Luckily, the school where my local grandkids go has a wonderful school nurse, she has a child with a very special need, so she is in tune with others who need special attention. My granddaughter's best friend in school is diabetic and gluten intollerant, so they really have to monitor her carefully. The school helps the parents and child with managing all of that. But I'm glad you are close, and that your fiance can be there quickly, and the teachers know what to do and what to look for. It will all work out, and your daughter is so grown up to be able to manage all of this herself!

nana margaret
April 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
That's such good news to hear! Technology is certainly making life a lot more tolerable for children and adults with diabetes, years ago being diagnosed meant a life time of injections, thankfully things are changing fast, by the time your little girl is grown up there will have been further advances which can only be good news. :icon_bigsmile:

Tanya D
April 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Wonderful news! I hope this new pump makes her life much easier and stress free.

ConnieNana
April 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM
The school sounds so much like Montessori teachings. I love it that children can go at there own pace. Two of our granddaughters are in the T&G program at their public school. They are in 5th and 6th grades and are doing math, science and reading on 7th and 8th grade levels and their math and science is also accelerated. It is nice when our children can thrive in their learning enviorments.

auntiemern
April 24th, 2013, 09:13 PM
What great news. Maybe you can rest a little easier now. It's hard when our babies are sick, and harder not to worry all the time.

SallyO'Sews
April 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Your school sounds very much like the one where my husband serves as principal; must be a very nurturing place. So happy for Kameryn - hope she continues to do well!

Lisapc
April 25th, 2013, 12:20 AM
That is just wonderful. It works well for my great nephew and I hope it works that well for your daughter.