PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly Lynn? Other sisters in Oz?

Blondie
February 2nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hey sweethearts
Heard on the news today that Queensland was being evaculated due to a cyclone of our Katrina proportions. If you are on, please let us know you are high, dry, safe and sound. I have prayed for your nation quite frequently lately. Seems that y'all just can't get a break these past several months from the weather.
Blessings and hugs to each!
Blondie

craftyladysam
February 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
Blondie, I'm worried too! Storm looks bad on TV. Where are our friends? Please check-in, we love ya and are praying! Sam

toggpine
February 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Aw geeze! They just can not catch a break. I too hope you all are safe and sound.
Off to go check on my favorite stuffed animal designer. She's in Brisbane!
Prayers that it misses you all!
Cathy

quiltingtrish
February 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
I saw that on the news today too and said a prayer. It seems they are getting pounded too.

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Prayers being sent - I'm thinking we may not have a good update until the world spins about 12 hours. Lots of friends down under . . . special prayers.

Dragonfly
February 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
Thankyou for the thoughts ladies, it was pretty serious but people had time to prepare. So far no loss of life or serious injury but massive property damage. Fortunately it crossed the coast up north in a not so highly populated area but it seems two smaller towns have been all but demolished, and several others extensively damaged. Now they have to contend with yet more floods with water expected to peak this pm at about 11.5 metres so 37 feet or 12.5yds, that's a lot of water.

Cathy your stuffed animal designer will be ok, Brisbane is in the south of the state. I have 3 friends in the cyclone area but no word from them yet, we've been asked to not tie up communication channels and there is power and phone outages throughout the area.

On a bright note one lady had a baby in the storm shelter...hopefully she won't name it after the cyclone. :icon_bigsmile:

janluna
February 3rd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Saying prayers for all involved Lynn, and dragonfly. Hugs, Jan

patticakes
February 3rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
Lynn - Glad you are safe! My thoughts are with you and all your countrymen & women!

Carol_Ann
February 3rd, 2011, 02:08 AM
God bless . Our thought & prayers are with all of you .

Dragonfly
February 3rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
As an update, 3 ladies have had babies in evacuation centres, I like that the media are able to look past the doom and gloom and report some of the lighter more positive aspects. Not that I imagine delivering a baby in an evacuation centre was much joy for the mothers.

They have officially gone from cyclone alert to flood alert and the cyclone which apparently had winds in excess of Katrina is making it's way inland. Although it has now been downrated, it is still strong enough to be reaching areas that have never experienced a cyclone before, read 'do not have cyclone rated buildings'. The authorities are concerned that these people will not be prepared nor take the situation seriously enough. We are talking areas that are classified as remote so getting anyone in there to organise things is unlikely. Here's praying they have been watching what happened at the coast and play safe.

craftyladysam
February 3rd, 2011, 02:48 AM
Lynn so glad to hear from you! Stay safe quilting friend and keep us posted! Thoughts and prayers all around!! Sam

toggpine
February 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks Lynn! I figured that I may not here from her for a bit. Power & communication troubles abound in those situations.
That does not sound good for the inland areas. Thanks for keeping us posted! I LOVE how we are so connected! Before long the news will be consulting MSQC for their reports!
More prayers of thanks for your safety and of concern for your countrymen.
Cathy

EsGrandma
February 3rd, 2011, 03:21 AM
Dragonfly - thanks for all of the updates. So glad that you are safe and we will continue to pray for your country. Linda