PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hog Day !

Blondie
February 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Holidays/Groundhogs%20Day/ghnb.gif
Good Morning!
Still dark thirty here; waiting for the sun to rise and wait for Phil. I betcha there's a lot of folks just a waitin' for him to poke his head out!

Patti, I hope you are okay and NOT going to work today! Good grief, y'all are some hardy folks to get out in blizzards. I say if you can be safe, go for it; Luscious Larry says, it must be all that snow that makes folks do crazy things like trying to go to work . . .

Sandy, and the rest of our blizzard hit sisters, take advantage of this time to do what you don't normally do!
So glad all we got is some wind and rain.

Trish, still thinking of Odie. Poor fella has really been through it. Hope he and his new roomie will be getting along okay!

I made 17 blocks yesterday towards one of the quilts I am making for the sisters and their step mom. Since the dresden was so easy that is what I did. Loving my design wall for inspiration. Since their dad's shirts were all plaids, stripes and some solids, it is turning out really scrappy looking and fun. I think they will like it.

Be safe everyone, be warm, be kind to Puxy Phil.

janluna
February 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Blondie since I'm a groundhog I can tell you I didn't see my shadow! Today is my day!!
We hardly got hit by the storm. They shut schools and some businesses today in anticipation of a bad day and nothing happened. The roads are a little greasy but not a lot of snow or ice. YAY!!! My hubby got called out early and I was afraid he would have trouble with snow and ice. But nope. We got lucky again. I was hoping for the snow to make an appearance and have a nice snow storm for my birthday but it didn't show up. Oh well better luck next time. For those of you who did get hit, sorry, I prayed for it. Wow,Blondie, thats a lot of blocks in one day. Go you! I'm lucky if I get three done. At least the power didn't go off and I can sew today. Love you all, Jan L

Elaine
February 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Good morning all. Sorry about everyone in the mid-west getting hit with that horrible storm. We were very lucky in SW PA this morning. the temp here is about 40 degrees. Of course, it won't last long. By noon the temps are supposed to drop drastically and yes, they say more snow. One good thing, Punxetauney Phil didn't see his shadow this morning so bring on SPRING. Hope you all have a wonder day. Be Safe.:icon_wave: Elaine

toggpine
February 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAN!!!
I wish I was sorry that you didn't get snow for your birthday, but it sounds like everybody else got your share! I hope you have a great day and that your power stays on. Maybe that is your gift from Mom Nature!

I was having some pretty strange dreams so, I decided to get up and make my husband his lunch and coffee this morning. I used to do that every morning before I had the baby. Now it is a rare treat for him! If I was really dedicated I'd get started on some sewing project, but I think I'm gonna take an aspirin and go back to bed. I feel that niggling pain behind my eyes that indicate a headache may be approaching. So I'll give it an hour and a half and try again.

You all have a safe day out there in that wild weather.
Cathy

NM Lady
February 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Good morning!

Happy Birthday Jan.

There is -15 windchill this morning. I can't believe this weather is in my area. We're used to 50 and 60 degrees most of the time, but its ok. We needed the moisture.

Have a blessed day.

quiltingtrish
February 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHJDAY DEAR FRIEND!

I was surprised to hear that Spring was coming. If I were Phil and they pulled me out of my warm and cozy hole on a day like this, I would have given them another 6 weeks of winter. Of course, the Almanac already told me that Spring is coming early.

Haven't spoken to Odie yet but Ft. Sill, OK is closed today and I heard that all flights out of Dallas are cancelled. Another site said they are on time, so I hope he checks it out before he ventures back to the airport.

He called when he got to his room - sounds terrible. Poor thing. Just want to wrap him up to get him better.

Well, I'll be back later. They phoned at 7 this morning and said school is closed cause of the power outages. Thankfully, we have ous but pray for those that don't. Also, prayers for those that HAVE to be out in this mess no matter where it is - the ones out there helping clearing the roads and tending to accidents. One of them died this morning when she wrecked her vehicle.

I'm sewing again today. Still hope to get those photos taken.

Hugs,
TJ

stitchywoman
February 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Well, heck Trish if the Almanac says it I'll believe! That Ground Hog is not always the most reliable :icon_razz:

debinmalaga
February 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Happiest of Birthdays, Jan!

Nothing but rain here in my part of NJ. Warm (39!) temps and rain and cold ground make for fog, though, and it's about impossible to see out there on the roads, took a little longer than usual to get to work today.

Trish, I feel for you and for Odie. Poor guy, I hope he's better soon.

Hope all my quilting sisters (and brothers!) have a wonderful day.

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
This is for Jan!!

DH decided it would be okay for him to walk to the mailbox - hope he shows up soon as I'm starting to worry. Driveway is about 1/4 mile long . . . oh, there he comes.

I'm hunkered down for the day....

Stay Warm.

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hubby said it was treacherous out there - and he could have rolled down the hill - but drifts are only about 2 foot deep in our driveway. He did say he thought he was NOT going to make it back up the hill. Silly boy for even trying.

Decided to warm myself up with a Captain Morgan spiced mocha. Can't beat that for a coffee cup filler. Wouldn't want to get used to these though.

No special plans for the day. Must get the binding on tia Paz's lap quilt. Putting pieces together for my Dear MIL also . . . I work kinda scattered though, a bit here, a bit there, straighten this up, do this . . . but first . . . Should attend to household chores . . .

We're having GROUND CHUCK for dinner today. Sorry, Jan, sorry Puxy Phil.

Hugs - stay warm.

newbiequilter
February 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Deb,
Lucky you! In my part of NJ the trees are coated with ice. I took some pics and may try to post them later. Am NOT going out today!

And Happy Birthday, Jan. Groundhog Day is the day I met my DH, so we always celebrated that as our anniversary. I know the NY groundhog was 'fixed'; the mayor said a couple of days ago that he is the one who makes the call, and he would not call for more winter! :icon_bigsmile:

Pat

middlesis1966
February 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
:icon_woohoo: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAN!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_woohoo:

Well PTL we didnt lose power last night. There are several family around here that have los power. It is suppose to be even colder in the next few days. please say a prayer of safety for them. I wanted my husband to stay home from work but he wouldnt do it, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have 2 more weeks and I get to go back to work, finally. I'm about to pull my hair out. Cant say this mini vaca has been fun filled, but atleast Im cancer free!

Lynn stay safe. I hear its suppose to get nasty soon. I dont know how close you are to it but take care.

Stay safe and warm all. If its warm where you are :icon_bah::icon_bah:

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
I have 2 more weeks and I get to go back to work, finally. I'm about to pull my hair out. Cant say this mini vaca has been fun filled, but atleast Im cancer free!

Paula, I have not been following your story, but I'm pleased you have hair to pull out. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to work . . . unless you just really need the money - and most of us do . . . but hope and pray you've felt like quilting while you've been off. Stay inside today and be cozy. Let the men go out in this nasty weather and sit at home wondering why they would bother.

Life is good.

Lola2Ace
February 2nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hi all. We have our power back, but don't know for how long. It went off at 11 last night and was out all night, I slept in sweatpants and sweatshirt with tons of blankets. All we had was ice, until this morning, that is. Now it's snowing to beat the band. I just got back from town, had an appt. and then stopped at Dr. office to make an appt and they got me in right away, seems I have either a bladder/kidney infection or kidney stone. Labs sent off and won't know much till Friday afternoon or possibly not till Monday. Pain isn't severe at this time, so hopefully it will stay that way.
Paula, I sure hope you are feeling better and up to doing some sewing for your last 2 weeks off. I remember seeing that you got a port, have they started chemo?
Trish, still praying for Odie and you.
Happy Birthday JanLuna!!
Hoping everybody has a blessed day!
Lola

bakermom
February 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Left work this morning to ice everywhere. all the slush that had been on the roads during the day was solid ice. managed to get home OK but it was a challenge. now it's snowing like mad with high winds. we haven't had power go out but many in the area have. nearly half of canton's residents are without power. with the high winds and ice they are expecting more lines down. i don't plan on going out till work tonight.

middlesis1966
February 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to work . . . unless you just really need the money - and most of us do . . . Life is good.

Yea its that money thing that is what is making me go back to work. I'm luckey right now though. I just had double masectomy, and the removed the cancer, but I still have chemo to do. So Im lucky that I still have hair to pull out. I start friday on the chemo. I'm gonna search online to find patterns so I can make scarfs and such. I went to several websites and wow they want lots of $$$$$$. I figured I have this huge stash so I can make them myself.

sewsoft
February 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
What do you all think of the Deal of the day? Did you get one?

newbiequilter
February 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Here are some of the ice pictures from my home.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.chttp://forum.missouriquiltco.com/asset.php?fid=2335&uid=1401&d=1296670530om/asset.php?fid=http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/asset.php?fid=2337&uid=1401&d=12966705852334&uid=140http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/asset.php?fid=2336&uid=1401&d=12966705301&d=1296670498

newbiequilter
February 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well, that didn't work!

Sewbee
February 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Yea its that money thing that is what is making me go back to work. I'm luckey right now though. I just had double masectomy, and the removed the cancer, but I still have chemo to do. So Im lucky that I still have hair to pull out. I start friday on the chemo. I'm gonna search online to find patterns so I can make scarfs and such. I went to several websites and wow they want lots of $$$$$$. I figured I have this huge stash so I can make them myself.

Paula! I haven't followed this thread til today so want to give you my best wishes for your upcoming treatments and ongoing good health. I am a 10 year survivor from my first BC diagnosis and 5 year survivor of my 2nd BC diagnosis. Had bilateral mastectomy, chemo both times, lost my hair both times, rads both times and am doing great! I'm sure I still have some of my scarves and warm winter hats that I used when I was bald. I'd be happy to mail them to you if you can use them. Just let me know here or by private message.

debinmalaga
February 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Pat, I looked in your albums and saw your pictures of the ice. Like I wrote in your album - it sure is beautiful, and I'm so glad we didn't get it down south. I remember the ice storms of the early 90s <shudder>. I worked for Wawa at the time and we had to get to work no matter what.

Onetiredmomma
February 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Happy Birthday, Jan!

Today I think I woke on the wrong side of the bed. I'm rejoicing in today, though, as best as I can. Today is my day off from work and I'm hoping to just take it easy. I need to get moving on a baby quilt soon, but life's been so busy recently.
Have a relaxing Wednesday everyone! That's what I'm going to try and do.

Mia
February 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Great big warm hugs to those who are feeling the brunt of this huge storm. I've been watching on the news and ya'll need to get snuggled in for a long winter's nap. Oh and ........ I heard on the news also.... ol Phil's only right about 37 percent of the time. Lol.....

Hugs again
Mia

Keepstitchin
February 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Happy Birthday Jan!!!! I hope you are having an awesome day!!

Paula-Check Nancy's Notions, she used to have a free pattern for comfort caps for chemo, and my prayers are with you for your continued recovery and good health :icon_hug:

We are sunny and cool here in the Northwest again. Only about 40 today, but you won't hear any complaints out of me!! I hope all of you in the midwest and east stay warm and dry and have power back soon!!

Lots of homework to do today, blessings to all!!

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM

Prayers, prayers, prayers for you. BGF just went through chemo and radiation for bone CA and is free of CA now. I wish you total success! Wish I knew how to knit, I'd knit a bunch of cotton caps for you because it sounds like you may need them. It is all in the attitude! Keep being that tough cookie!

Monique
February 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Paula,

I know what you are going through. I myself had a masectcomy in 2006. Keep your chin up.

Best regards,
Monique

janluna
February 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Love to you all for the birthday greetings. Thank you.
Paula, keep that sense of humor going it will help you get through. Love you and praying for you everyday.
I worked on my swap blocks, I have 13 to go. I had to take a break cause my back is kicking up between sitting at the sewing machine and the weather. Other than that I'm doing fine.
We didn't get but 2 inches of snow here but now the wind is picking up and making whiteouts. So far we still have power and it's getting colder. If we can stay away from the rain we'll be ok.
Again, Love you all for the birthday greetings and Sandy thanks for the card, better you than me. lol I need to lose a few pounds. Like 50. I've lost 42 so far. Love you, Jan

Texsam
February 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone from the North Texas ice rink!

We have lots of ice and it's sticking around this time. We usually get it and by the next afternoon it's almost gone. Not this time! It hasn't been above 17 for the last two days and probably will have some snow on Friday. Although they (TXDOT) will be making sure that all the fans can get to the Super Bowl. The teams made it for their press conferences on Tuesday. They did have to shut down our airport for a while because the winds were causing problems for the deicing crews.

Glad to hear how you're doing Paula. I'll keep you in my prayers for your treatment.

patticakes
February 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi all!
First and most important - A big ol' Happy Birthday to our sweet Jan! Hope you enjoyed your day! xoxo

Yes - Blondie we are a hardy group of midwesterns! We celebrated today as Snowhog Day 2011!

First time ever in all these years the mall was actually closed today! There was no way I would have made it in from the burbs. Everything was shut down. We are finally dug out and will be out there in the freezing cold early tomorrow am!

I finally figured out how to compress my pics to show up and posted my blocks in the Black & White Swap. Need to send to Suzi soon!

Here two pics of my Latin Delight's sons, Bryan and Marc,(the two that did NOT get arrested...LOL) in the Wrigleyville area of Chicago where Bryan lives! Man what alot of snow we got!

Hope everyone is safe, warm and cuddled under a beautiful quilt!

toggpine
February 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Patti! Glad to hear that you are safe & snug in this weather!
I still can't get my pics to load. It just keeps timing me out. So here is the link to my blog with the most recent stuffed animals I made. I hope they baby boys enjoy them! http://toggpine.wordpress.com. Now to get back to some quilty sewing!
Cathy

Blondie
February 2nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Paula
Here are a few sites that offer free patterns:

http://tinyurl.com/4eo4arl

http://tinyurl.com/4emfkef

Blondie
February 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/bd%20anniv/bdm.gif

Happy Birthday, sweetie pie! Hoping it was a good day for you.

Blondie

debinmalaga
February 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I still can't get my pics to load. It just keeps timing me out. So here is the link to my blog with the most recent stuffed animals I made. I hope they baby boys enjoy them! http://toggpine.wordpress.com. Now to get back to some quilty sewing!
Cathy

Cathy, the giraffe and elephant are ADORABLE.

patticakes
February 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Cathy

Cathy - I tried to "resize" mine in "Edit" but saw something where it said I could "compress" them so I checked the box that said "for webpages" and compressed it, then saved it and it worked! I am so not technical so forgive the explaination!
Patti

toggpine
February 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks Deb! They are fun to make too! I have the aardvark pattern that I want to make soon. I have a few other things lined up first.
Patti, I have tried to resize the pics, but I can only "constrain" in my editing software. I have loaded from the same program previously without trouble. It says that the server tried to reconnect while my page was loading and the connection was lost. Who knows!
Currently I want to start gnawing on the table! I put a pot roast in the oven with some potatoes (sweet & regular), carrots and onions. It smells soooo yummy! The dough for the rolls is merrily perking along in the bread machine. I love things that work on their own and free up my hands to do other stuff! I am very sad that my smaller crockpot died a few days ago. My husband offered to get me one for my birthday. I think he has ulterior motives on that one!
Off to switch the laundry, start up the woodstove, and check on the dough.
Hugs, Cathy

quiltingtrish
February 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I saw the animals - they are so cute. I commented on your blog.

Well thankfully, Odie didn't have to fly today. He said he's been in bed all day at the hotel and is now fighting a fever. He feels so bad that he doesn't even want to talk. I told him to tell his roommate that he needs to keep an eye on him in case his fever gets any higher that he needs to get him to a hospital somehow - they say they have an inch of ice there, so - yes, I'm worried. He said they have a ticket for Thursday night at 8 PM to fly. I even told him to ask for a late checkout and that will give him that much less time at the airport waiting for the flight. When he replied to me, he said 'hi mommy'. Ahhhhh.

Looks like I have school tomorrow so I'll be keeping the phone by my side for sure.

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Cathy

Cathy, I just visited your blog and fell in love with your giraffe and elephant (or as our daughter used to say 'elpadent'. Who wouldn't love them?

toggpine
February 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments! Trish, I did see your comment on my blog. Thank you so much!
It makes my heart glad when the kids snuggle them up. These boys will be a bit young for that, but as long as they play with them, I'll be happy.

Trish, I hope Odie gets over this. He may check with the hotel to see if they have an on-call doctor. Some places do. If not the front desk may be able to help get him to an urgent care facility in the morning before his flight. Does he have a C.O. he could call to let them know of his condition? Ugh. No fun!

The pot roast was nummy and the rolls were tasty too. I have permission to make those again any time I want.
Stay warm & snug!
'Night, Cathy