PDA

View Full Version : Another drs appt for my daughter

Karena1984
April 23rd, 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm a little nervous this morning!! My baby is 8 and has been a type one diabetic for a little over a year now. She just got the insulin pump in march and today she goes in to get a sensor put on!! I'm really hoping this helps with her sugar swings!! She was 35 yesterday then was 568 later on that day!! The poor child has herself so worked up this morning that I kept her home from school! As a mother this just kills me! I tried to convince her endocrinologist to give her my pancreas but he wouldn't! It's not fair! Kids shouldn't have to worry about sugar levels or carbs!!!

Tamara J Liddell
April 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Have her in my prayers along with everyone else here that needs them.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
What a worry! I hooe you can get her regulated to prevent those swings in blood sugar. It is scary for all of you! Prayers for an nswer and for her to feel better.

Lisapc
April 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
My grand nephew was diagnosed when he was 8. It took a while to regulate his levels but the pump is like a miracle. It then took about 6 months for him to adjust to the diet changes. Now he does just fine, he is 11. He won't eat anything "extra" without asking his mother if it is OK.

No child should have to worry about this I agree. Praying she does well and continues to do so.

Karena1984
April 23rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Thank you all :) I try to stay positive! It could be worse. She's healthy and happy and I need to remind myself that! Also she's darn cute lol

GinnyKNC
April 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
I have been praying for her and wondering how she is doing. That is a big swing in a day for anyone far less a little one. She probably felt crappy all day :( Thoughts, prayers and postive energy are with her. That pancreas is a tricking thing.

sewbizzy
April 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Sending prayers her way...

Evilynn
April 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
Give her an extra hug, from me :) You are right, no child should worry about sugar levels. We are small to get treated to sweets ;) I hope she still can have a treat from time to time. Poor child! I will be thinking about her. I am thankful that medicine has advanced quite much and there are things like the insuline pump!

Hugs, Steffie

Tanya D
April 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Wow, that's a big swing! I have a friend who has a pump and she loves it.

I hope the doctor can get her stable...she will be in my thoughts today.

bakermom
April 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
I hope this works out for her. It's a scary thing for anyone to deal with,

Not to stick my nose in your business, but wanted to mention this. Are you aware there are camps just for kids with diabetes? A friend sent her DD after she was diagnosed at the same age as your DD. It made a real difference for her in how she coped. It was good for her to be around kids that were dealing with the same things she was. No one felt "different". Her DD went back as a counselor after she aged out as a camper. It might be worth looking into.

Karena1984
April 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
I hope this works out for her. It's a scary thing for anyone to deal with,

Not to stick my nose in your business, but wanted to mention this. Are you aware there are camps just for kids with diabetes? A friend sent her DD after she was diagnosed at the same age as your DD. It made a real difference for her in how she coped. It was good for her to be around kids that were dealing with the same things she was. No one felt "different". Her DD went back as a counselor after she aged out as a camper. It might be worth looking into.

I've heard about them but I've yet to find one that's close by here. I will ask the dr today if he knows of any! Thank you!

WendyI
April 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
I can't imagine how tough that must be for both of you. Hope the pump works well and things get settled. (((HUGS)))

ilive2craft2
April 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hope that things settle down with the pump. As a type 2 diabetic, I know how those swings in blood sugar make you feel and it isn't pleasant. Prayers being said for your family. Hugs, Lisa

nana margaret
April 23rd, 2013, 06:05 PM
I can totally sympathize, my daughter in law also has severe type one diabetes, diagnosed when she was 16, also ibs and fybro. She had the pump fitted three years ago and two weeks ago had the sensor fitted because she was still having terrible highs and lows but we think it's already making a big difference, I'm sure it will help your little girl too. That sense of helplessness when our children aren't well is something we all feel. Our daughter in law presented us with our first grandchild two years ago, he's perfect with no sign of diabetes. I hope your little one's sugars are soon brought under control.

Karena1984
April 23rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Well it's on!! She did fabulous!! She said it hurt but not as much as blood work!45853

New York Sue
April 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
I've heard about them but I've yet to find one that's close by here. I will ask the dr today if he knows of any! Thank you!

Bakermom, this is one GREAT suggestion!
Karena, I hope things settle down with her blood sugars. My daughters friend has a pump and he does very well. (He was diagnosed at 14 years of age).
And a camp would be OUTSTANDING! My best, chica!