PDA

View Full Version : Two-siding quilt binding

Annav
April 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
I am looking for a tutorial on two-siding binding. I can find written instructions, but I cannot wrap my head around how it is supposed to work out. The instruction I have found show cutting the front side to 1" and cutting the back to 2" and sewing them together, then attach the front and fold to the back. How does part of the back fabric not show on the front???

It might help to know that when I make my binding, I make it double fold, like the commercial stuff you find at the store. I attach all my pieces together on the diaginol, until I get my desired length, then I go to the ironing board and iron it into a double fold strip. Then I open it all back up and line up the raw edges with my quilt and use the first crease as my sewing line. I miter the corners and go all the way around and then when I flip the binding to the back, my corners are perfectly mitered, my center crease lines up perfectly with the edge of the quilt, and the back lines up with the sewing line I just created from the front. I then hand sew my binding, being sure that I cover the sewing line from the front.

Thanks!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM
I just googled two sided quilt binding and a bunch of tutorials came up. Here's one.

http://auntinicolescorner.blogspot.com/2010/08/two-sided-binding-w-tutorial.html

Momofmonsters5
April 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM
I did one on my husbands quilt. The reason it doesn't show is because you adjust your stitch so that the fold is flush with the crease of the quilt. There are no mitered corners they are square. You attach two sides then hand or machine tack them down then you attach the other two sides and hand or machine tack those. The corners are sealed by the edges. I'm getting ready to do another one for a reversable quilt. I know pictures are better but thought that might help.

Mchelem
April 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
I am looking for a tutorial on two-siding binding. I can find written instructions, but I cannot wrap my head around how it is supposed to work out. The instruction I have found show cutting the front side to 1" and cutting the back to 2" and sewing them together, then attach the front and fold to the back. How does part of the back fabric not show on the front???

It might help to know that when I make my binding, I make it double fold, like the commercial stuff you find at the store. I attach all my pieces together on the diaginol, until I get my desired length, then I go to the ironing board and iron it into a double fold strip. Then I open it all back up and line up the raw edges with my quilt and use the first crease as my sewing line. I miter the corners and go all the way around and then when I flip the binding to the back, my corners are perfectly mitered, my center crease lines up perfectly with the edge of the quilt, and the back lines up with the sewing line I just created from the front. I then hand sew my binding, being sure that I cover the sewing line from the front.

Thanks!

Two sided???

I've done a flanged binding, where you get a little peek of color on the front side. The strips are cut different widths.

Annav
April 21st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Two sided .... one fabric on the front and a different on the back. It seems like the tutorials might be that the front binding is a smaller width than the back perhaps. I experimented myself, and I ended up cutting the front and back fabrics the same width before sewing them together so that my center seam was on the edge of the fabric. I don't see why a miter won't work though just the same as any continuous binding.

Iris Girl
April 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM
I found this site when I was surfing around sounds pretty easy
http://thepatternbasket.blogspot.com/2009/12/come-bind-with-me.html

Judy~Ann
April 21st, 2013, 09:11 PM

What a great tutorial .. Thank you for sharing it. I have it bookmarked for my next quilt

Momofmonsters5
April 22nd, 2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the link! I learned out of the reversable quilt book and they don't miter so ill try this one when I bind my reverable quilt. Great tutorial!

Blondie
April 22nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Nice tutorial. I just pinned it.

MarianneK
April 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
I've done many a two-colored binding. It's not hard!