PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, February 1 - wow!

Blondie
February 1st, 2011, 06:57 AM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/Euler5853/Good%20Morning/GMMMMM13131314131313131314.gif

Welcome to the Love Month, girlfriends! Love is always in the air around here, especially since hubs is back at work, hehehe. Absence DOES make the heart grow fonder.

I haven't turned on the news yet; have just been reading all my news online and haven't even peeked at the weather situation for my middle country friends. Know you continue to be in prayers for safety and warmth. Hope that this has been a big hullabaloo for nothing.

Has anyone here made a Dear Jane? I am always looking for something to keep in my handsewing basket and wondering if that would be a project? I enjoy the cathedral windows to sew but am intrigued by the dear jane. Of course, I don't have the book or instructions but that is easily remedied.

What's up for today?

Off to get my second cup of joe. Mmmmm good. I've made some for you as well.
And for my tea imbibing friends, I always have tea on the ready, too.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/ninalovesdylan/cups.jpg

suzette58
February 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
We have a little ice right now. According to the local news today shouldn't be to bad. Tonight we are supposed to get rain. Which could be nasty once the temp drops. Most of our schools are opening late. Today is my baby's 22nd birthday. He grew up way to fast. Hopefully, today I will get some sewing time in. Have a great day!

zenkitty
February 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
We are getting freezing drizzle and the heat at work is busted. I should make a nice little chair quilt and keep it here for the next heat outage....which seems to be frequently this winter!

NM Lady
February 1st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Good morning everyone!

Well it hit, a slight smithering of snow, but the wind is blowing like a son of a gun. Not sure if the roads are icy or not, but hope not as my co-worker has to go to the hospital 40 miles away for a scope. Her tummy or ponza (sp?) as she says is not feeling too good these days.

Finished another BOM last night. I really don't love the colors on this quilt as it has way too much pink in it for my taste, but really enjoying putting together each block. It is a real learning experience.

Hope each of you has a safe and blessed day. Stay warm!!!!

Looks like a hot cup of tea day today!

God bless and take care.

Sandy Navas
February 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Right in the middle of the Heartland here, and I peeked outside about 3 a.m. to see no changes on the ground . . . almost 6:30 a.m. and still nothing but a very fine dusting of questionable substance. I don't want to open the door and check it out. Have no reason to be outside so I'll stay indoors and hope we don't lose power. If I look at the weather map I feel quite certain that most of the worst is going to creep around on both sides of us. My eternal optimistic self speaking here.

Today I am determined, one way or the other, to understand the complex threading on my serger (nick-named Sergio . . . a definite Latin lover). I really want to use this machine and see no reason why I spent good money for it and here it sits . . . a full four months later and I've only used it twice before a thread broke . . . Should I have researched more before buying and found one that was self-threading?

Almost finished tying off the lavender lap top. Need to get that in the mail - but looks like 'neither rain, nor sleet, nor dark of night . . . ' or however that line goes - will get it there any quicker than it has taken me to finish it.

Need to hit the kitchen too, making lemon-poppy seed biscotti this morning. Yummy. I'll take you up on another cuppa, Blondie!!

Hugs to everyone.

bambine007
February 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM
Today it's a cold day.
Luckely we don't have rain. We don't have snow anymore here all is gone. May it'll come again. We'll see.

I would love to stay at home and sew a little bit, but I have to work.
just 2 hours left, then I'll go home.

Unfortunatly I couldn't sew for two weeks. We renovated my sons bedroom past weekend. We bought new furniture and painted the wall. Now I have to clean up all the mess. After that I hope that I can finde more time to finish my quilts.

Have a nice day.
cu & hugs
Carmen

Elaine
February 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
From SW PA............we have rain, slippery spots for sure and not fun driving on the interstate. Wish I was home sewing today, but that will have to wait until tonight. I am working on finishing a mystery quilt that a dear friend of mine and I were working on. She passed away in October and I never did finish it. I miss her so and it sure takes a lot away from my quilting not having her around. That's why I am so happy I found this site. At least I have people to chat with and show my projects to. What is a Dear Jane? Have a great day everone, stay safe. Elaine

SummerK
February 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Yes, Blondie, what is a Dear Jane?

We're certainly iced in, but that's okay, we don't have anywhere to go. :) I'm working on some table runners today. I have the blocks made so I should be able to assemble them, unless the power goes out, but we're praying that doesn't happen.

Time to make some coffee and get it going! Have a great day everyone! :icon_wave:

Monique
February 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
So it was -26C here this yesterday morning. We are expecting a snow storm tonight into tomorrow. Looks like tomorrow will be good quilting day. A little warmer today -17C.

Stay warm, stay safe!!

Monique

debi weaver
February 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Steaming hot English Breakfast Tea warming my hugging-mug fingers, and toasty warm breakfast fogging the frost bitten window scene out my kitchen nook, cause no doubt of the coming storm! The Midwest city bracing for Blizzard 2011 began with a black icing over night, but an interrupted sleep made us aware the storm had begun when the roaring engine of a teenager's car struggled to rock from the ditch! Then in the early hours of morning, trucks with plows interrupting the darkness, made us crawl from our warm cocoons to listen to school closings as media reminded their neighbors how to handle the necessity to leave homes. Why do they choose to stand outside in the freezing winds to prove a storm?
Now, 3 hours later, and another hot cup in hand, my window shows the silent snow has crept into our region and is leaving a blanket of white stuff. They are predicting 7-8 inches by supper and more to cover tomorrow.
So, sewing will fill my quiet hours while DH is gone to office and elderly dad snoozes.
God bless each one of you and keep you safe and hopefully warm! Debi

Sandy Navas
February 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
From SW PA............we have rain, slippery spots for sure and not fun driving on the interstate. Wish I was home sewing today, but that will have to wait until tonight. I am working on finishing a mystery quilt that a dear friend of mine and I were working on. She passed away in October and I never did finish it. I miss her so and it sure takes a lot away from my quilting not having her around. That's why I am so happy I found this site. At least I have people to chat with and show my projects to. What is a Dear Jane? Have a great day everone, stay safe. Elaine

Elaine - I offer all kinds of sympathy for you - lost my very best friend almost 6 years ago and there isn't a day goes by that I don't long to talk to her. I, too, have been curious about a Dear Jane quilt . . . but also curious about your 'mystery' quilt. Do elaborate.

We're happy you found this site, too.

Sandy Navas
February 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
So it was -26C here this yesterday morning. We are expecting a snow storm tonight into tomorrow. Looks like tomorrow will be good quilting day. A little warmer today -17C.

Stay warm, stay safe!!

Monique

I am NOT going to complain about it being 12 degrees Fahrenheit here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I write that 100 times just to remind me?

Talk about cold - I hope you have no plans to go outside today - or tomorrow!!

debi weaver
February 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Blondie -
I googled "Dear Jane" quilts and found these sites. Looks complicated. Are you going to attempt this pattern? The third blog is fascinating, but also the second blog history lesson intrigued me.
Is this "dear jane" that you mentioned or am I the wrong trail?

http://www.dearjane.com/huswif.htm

http://www.dearjane.com/

http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/

Debi

Sandy Navas
February 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
The Midwest city bracing for Blizzard 2011 began with a black icing over nighti

Noticed that the KC weatherman on Channel 4 is calling this "The Blizzard of Oz'.

debi weaver
February 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Added thought - notice the blog has BOM in her right column, and advertises a book on these quilts.

I like this one:
http://www.twiddletails.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=824

:) Debi

quiltingtrish
February 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
Oh Debi - love your writings - I totally pictured myself right there with you! I hope you write a book, I'd surely buy it.

Just talked to ODIE for AN HOUR! He does has bronchitis - didn't want to tell me but his coughing gave him away. Said he is on medicine and will get more when he gets to Oklahoma. I told him that of his 3 flights today, that possibly the last one will be delayed since they are having blizzard conditions in Ok right now. He said ' oh man!' We'll be on and off the phone all day since he knows if he doesn't want his momma to go to the aslyumn for craziness, I need a check-in every time he lands. haha. Prayers for his and the other Marines flying today will be most appreciative. There are so many flying today that they had to give Odie and others another flight.

Well, off to get my sewing ready. Think I'll also throw a load of wash in and grab a shower just in case we lose electric. At least the clothes and body will be clean for awhile. Lots of ice coming later today and later tonight - not good but it happens. I am so ready for Spring as I am sure are many others. We aren't getting dumped with snow like so many, but will get a few inches.

I know several people who have done the Dear Jane quilt. There's also a Dear Hannah in which the blocks are smaller. I haven't done one myself - looks like some applique on the blocks and if I do applique, would rather do more of a wildflower type quilt someday.

Well, I'll check in later cause I'll certainly be around.

Hugs,

johnsonshouse4
February 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
The storm is supposed to start here in Illinois a little after noon so I guess I will run to the store for last minute stuff. Tomorrow there will probably be no school and my boys are like garbage cans. Maybe I can finish my fans today and tomorrow Everyone stay safe and warm.:icon_wave::icon_wave:

LynneLeavell
February 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
We just have drizzly ucky rain here in Georgia. They are predicting some snow in the north Georgia Mountain area this weekend. Man I could use a day or two off to get some quilting projects caught up that is my two beautiful grandson's would let me. Oh well guess I'll just keep checking the forum here at my desk at work.

Everyone have a safe warm dry day. Happy quilting.

Lynne

Blondie
February 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Debi and Trish
The dear jane at http://www.dearjane.com/ is the right one. I know several gals who have had it in their WIP for several years. Definitely not a quick quilt. I am seriously thinking about hand piecing it because the blocks are small and will help improve my hand stitching.
Not only that but this Southern Pollyanna thinking gal is trying to get her head around the strongly possibility that my Mom will be needing me down there at her home a whole lot if she does go under the knife for the gall bladder thing. Hoping that the dr will consider alternatives to invasive surgery. Anyway, I made a nice size cathedral while she was so ill the other year. I do much better with life situations if I feel as if I have a plan and a little control. Self deception is one of my strong points.

patticakes
February 1st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wow is right! We got about an inch of snow or so last night where I live and glad it wasn't the 2-4 inches they said we were getting. Right now the storm hype is crazy around here. Last night I was making a Shepards Pie for dinner and needed a can of creamed corn and ran to the store. It was absolutely nuts in there! People getting enough food to stay in for a week at least and me with my little can of corn in the crazy long lines!
The blizzard is supposed to start after 11 am and work up to full strength as the day goes on. The lakefront is supposed to be hit the hardest and there is even a flood warning for areas near Lake Michigan. I am not so much worried about getting home although I think the buses and trains will be packed with everyone leaving earlier but I am hoping that I can get in tomorrow. I haven't seen an old fashion snow day in a long time. That would be so nice!
Blondie - a Dear Jane looks labor intensive and beautiful! I have never done one.
Sandy - where are you exactly? not only because I am ready to come over for the biscotti! LOL I loved your "latin lover" reference. I call my BF my Latin Delight and I think that I will start calling him that on here. (Hey Blondie had Lucious Larry and I always chuckle when I read it!)
Carmen - so sorry you could not sew for two weeks! bet your rodo looks nice and bet you will feel so good once you sit down to sew!
Debi - i also thought your writing was like that of a good book! stay warm and safe in KC, my "Latin Delight's" family lives there and it is a lovely place. We always have such a good time when we visit.
Trish - so happy you heard from Odie and he is sounding better, well except for the coughing. sounds like he likes what he is going to be doing. you must be relieved at that. I love flying with military people on board. they are always so polite and make me feel safe! Due to the naval base here in chicago seems like there is always military people on board any flight I take.
Speaking of flights, so happy that my vacation next week will go on as planned!! I just can't wait to get away from it all!!
Well my yogurt parfait is now gone so I guess my break is too!
Wishing you all a safe, warm day with no one losing the power to there sewing machines!
Patti

SuzyQue
February 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Blizzard of 2011 is here! Lots of tiny, fine flakes of snow, swirling in whistling winds. Piling up and drifting on top of the thin layer of ice from last night's drizzle. Visibility is down, but it is pretty for as far as you can see. I think it is about 13 degrees with a much lower wind chill, but not the coldest mentioned on here! Hubby ventured out to the hardware store---normally about a 30 minute trek. He is crazy, but wants to make me a shelf for the new quilting table. (old, but new to me) That should keep him busy for a few days, if he has to stay in. I hope we maintain power! Be safe and stay warm! SuzyQue

bakermom
February 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM
It started about 10 pm with a light freezing rain. around 2am it changed to snow . when I left work I had to clean a good amount of ice from my car. the roads were not good but I got home OK. right now it has stopped and the plows are out. all the schools were cancelled today. most had used up their snow days in Dec. so they will be extending the school year. i think round two of this storm should hit us about suppertime.

Lola2Ace
February 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hi all
We got hit pretty hard with the ice last night, had started about 10 and I think it went on most of the night as it's a pretty thick layer. It's melting a bit now, so I am afraid the snow is on it's way here.
They are predicting 10-12 inches of the white stuff for us today thru tomorrow night. I have beef stew in the crockpot and will get to sewing here in just a bit. I need to work on laundry and as always the sweeper needs to be run....hoping since DH stayed home he'll help out and DD too as schools are closed. We haven't lost power and I surely hope it stays that way.
Take care all!
Lola

janluna
February 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
We only got an inch of snow last night. We are waiting to see now if we get Ice, snow or both. I hope snow, I hate ice storms and the awful damage they do. And for sure do not want to get put in the position of having no heat, lights, cooking, or hot water for a week while they repair downed lines. There is not a generator to be had. We will pray for this storm to be a dud. lol
Trish, so happy that you heard from Odie, but sorry he isn't feeling well. I pray he doesn't
get worse or get stranded at some airport for days.
Blondie that is some quilt. Love the history on Ms. Jane. Good luck with it.
Patti, so glad you will get your vacation. Sounds like you need one badly. BTW I love my yogurt parfait. I would live on them if I could. So refreshing!
Well, everyone you are all in my prayers that the storm doesn't make your life miserable.
If I'm not online tomorrow you'll know we lost power. I just pray we don't. I'm off to sew my blocks together for the block swap. See you later. Hugs, Jan

toggpine
February 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I am not going to tell you that it is sunny here and that we are expecting it to get to about 50 today. That would make you hate us here in Seattle's corner of the world. I will tell you that it is 37F and frosty.

Blondie, When I had my gallbladder out they went in lapriscopically (sp?) It was still uncomfortable, but nothing like an incision and invasive surgery. I will tell you that eating afterward became interesting. You just kind of rent your food for a few months afterward. Make sure Mom has easy access to a bathroom within 30 minutes to an hour after she has a meal. They forget to tell you that bit. I certainly hope they can manage your mom's surgery with only a few small holes instead of a big gash. Prayers for you all on that area.
JanL, you might want to seriously consider a wood stove in your situation with the birds. You can get small ones that do a good job of heating. If you aren't into having a big woodpile you can buy the compressed logs that burn really efficiently. My parents have a stack of them in the garage that they only use when the power goes out. They don't take up much space and they heat really well for a long period. If you get a freestanding stove you can cook on top of it once it gets heated up. I would also hit the camping section of the WalMart and pick up a small propane stove. You don't want to use it indoors, but you can put it out in the garage (with a door open) or on the porch and be able to boil water and do some cooking. We have an extra burner on our BBQ grill that we have used to cook on when we were out of power for over a week.

I managed to get the giraffe and elephant done after a last minute run to the store for polyfil. I tried to post photos to MSQC, but it times me out every time I try to upload. I'll give it another shot during the day and see if that helps. If I can't, I'll post a link to the blog when I post there so you can see how they turned out.
Now to get some banana muffins made for breakfast. Then I'll tackle the two blocks for the Around the World swap. Once those are done, I can get on to a project I wanna try.

You all have a good day and try to stay warm!
Cathy

SuzyQue
February 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
We have hit white out! Still have power! Yeah! But the world is wrapped in a swirling, whistling white batting! Wind is up, temps are down, snow is still a coming down. Many hours of this to go! Stay safe! SuzyQue

quiltingtrish
February 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Odie's 1st flight is over. He's on his 2nd right now - into Dallas. His flight to Oklahoma was cancelled for today. Nothing going in that airport - with the blizzard conditions. So now just sewing to pass the time to tell me he landed.
I'm working on a binding today.

Hugs,

Lola2Ace
February 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
Trish, thanks so much for the updates on Odie, hopefully he will have a warm bed to curl up in tonight since his last flight has been cancelled.
We are in a lull at the moment, weatherwise anyway. The temps have fallen, so all that was drippy this morning has re-frozen. We are just waiting to see what comes next. They are saying more ice for us and snow mixed in and lots of it.
Actually, looking outside the ice has started again...........
Suzyque, we usually get what you get 12-24 hours later, so I am really afraid of what is yet to come.
I am quilting away on this girly quilt, and I have a jellyroll of Hunky Dory calling my name to be made into a friendship braid, the Boutique is calling dresden,HootyHoot is calling tumbler. I am working on the courage to listen to them and start.
The stew is smelling wonderful, and I will make biscuits to go with it.
Lola

debinmalaga
February 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
For once, New Jersey is supposed to luck out and just get rain - although rain on top of all the snow on the ground can sure cause problems, too, like icing and flooding. So we'll see how this plays out. Warm wishes to all of you coping with snow and ice.

middlesis1966
February 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Well girls. The power is flickering, have plenty of ice everywhere, so it wont be long now. We are suppose to be geting snow soon. YUCK! Stay warm all. :icon_wave:

Lola2Ace
February 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Nothing but ice and more ice here. We are under a level 1, but I expect it to accelerate very soon.
When I walked the dog a bit ago, she came back to me covered in ice.
The lights have done a slight flicker several times, we have rounded up candles and flashlights so we are as prepared as we can be.
I've gotten some paperwork done and now I'm going to quilt a bit more and hope that the power doesn't go out. If it does a flashlight and some reading, crocheting or hexagons will work for me.
Trish, have you heard any more from Odie?
Lola

quiltingtrish
February 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
JUST talked to him! He is in Dallas, TX - terrible there too. Said it took over half an hour to get to the hotel, but he's in the tub and sharing the room with another guy that's going to the same school as him. So that's good. Did I mention he has bronchitis? He is exhausted too - only got about 2 hours of sleep last night. He went to bed at 10, a smoke alarm went off 30 min. later and until they let them all back in and he got to sleep, they woke the guys at 2 am to get ready to catch the 3 am bus to the airport.
Anyways, he is in. I am going to sleep a little better tonight.

Finished the garden panel, just have to hand sew the binding on the back, but sorry no photos yet. Am also working on the snowman panel adding an extra strip at the bottom and more to each side.

They called with a 2 hour delay tomorrow but if we get the ice tonight they are calling for I am thinking that they might close. If it's too icy to walk in - you don't have to worry, I wouldn't try it. There will be no way to get the car up the driveway so don't know what DH will do cause he hasn't walked in yet and just got called to go in at 11:30.

Stay warm you guys! I've got you covered in my prayers.

Hugs,

Elaine
February 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Sandy, The mystery quilt was a block of the month club that only lasted 5 months put out by Thimbelberries that my girlfriend and I joined. Each month we would get a block but didn't know what the quilt was going to look like until the last month when they gave the instructions how to put the quilt together. We were able to get the blocks done but that was as far as we got since she became ill. I am putting it together now but instead of following the directions I just framed each sqare with a 2 1/2 inch border and I am going on from there. Its not a very big quilt more like a lap quilt. Thank you for your kind words. I wish I would have found this site before, my girlfriend would have loved it. Elaine

pdjewelrylady
February 1st, 2011, 11:42 PM
Such a good day today! :icon_cool: got lots done including closing my Chase Bank checking acct, grocery store, booked 2 new home shows (premier jewelry) for this month, PASSED my Ham Radio Operators License Test (Yipppppeeee) and was gifted a very large box of very useable Tupperware!! :D

I just want y'all to know i love you and wish you could all be here with me in sunny 77 degree Central Florida! (THIS weather is WHY I live in florida!!) absolutley picture perfect day today......if i fan the laundry hanging on the line will it blow some of this warm air your way?!? :lol:

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
PASSED my Ham Radio Operators License Test (Yipppppeeee) and was gifted a very large box of very useable Tupperware!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

Looks like about as much fun as Christmas in your living room. There are a couple of those I could find good use for . . .

Didn't know there were many HAMS still out there - Hubby is a HAM but hasn't operated since we returned Stateside 8 years ago. N2BXB . . . I know he'd still like to dit-dit-dee-dah-dit (NO, I don't know Morse code) . . . but he has so many other interests. If I could just get him to quit worrying about the weather and settle in for the night.

Looking forward to some fresh FLA air.

middlesis1966
February 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
[and was gifted a very large box of very useable Tupperware!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

WOW, you hit the mother load. Im so jealous. I would love to have that stash. Lucky gal.

janluna
February 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
Such a good day today! :icon_cool: got lots done including closing my Chase Bank checking acct, grocery store, booked 2 new home shows (premier jewelry) for this month, PASSED my Ham Radio Operators License Test (Yipppppeeee) and was gifted a very large box of very useable Tupperware!! :D

I just want y'all to know i love you and wish you could all be here with me in sunny 77 degree Central Florida! (THIS weather is WHY I live in florida!!) absolutley picture perfect day today......if i fan the laundry hanging on the line will it blow some of this warm air your way?!? :lol:

Don't send warm air. We want snow not Ice! Weather man said the weather has changed and now we are getting ice. I don't like Ice it causes lights out and I can't keep my birds warm. But that's ok Suzi you get stuck with hurricanes. I'll take the snow and ice any day over hurricanes and tornados. Glad you had such a good day, Suzi. You can use all that tupperware to put quilting stuff in. :icon_woohoo:

janluna
February 2nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
JUST talked to him! He is in Dallas, TX - terrible there too. Said it took over half an hour to get to the hotel, but he's in the tub and sharing the room with another guy that's going to the same school as him. So that's good. Did I mention he has bronchitis? He is exhausted too - only got about 2 hours of sleep last night. He went to bed at 10, a smoke alarm went off 30 min. later and until they let them all back in and he got to sleep, they woke the guys at 2 am to get ready to catch the 3 am bus to the airport.
Anyways, he is in. I am going to sleep a little better tonight.

Finished the garden panel, just have to hand sew the binding on the back, but sorry no photos yet. Am also working on the snowman panel adding an extra strip at the bottom and more to each side.

They called with a 2 hour delay tomorrow but if we get the ice tonight they are calling for I am thinking that they might close. If it's too icy to walk in - you don't have to worry, I wouldn't try it. There will be no way to get the car up the driveway so don't know what DH will do cause he hasn't walked in yet and just got called to go in at 11:30.

Stay warm you guys! I've got you covered in my prayers.

Hugs,

Poor Odie. We're praying for him to get well, now we will add sleep. And will say prayers for your DH having to go out in this mess.

patticakes
February 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
A REAL blizzard here in the Chicago area!! Took me 3 hours to get home! It is snowing like crazy with white out conditions and the wind was clocked at 60 mph where I live. Lightning and thunder too.
Mall closed early at 5 pm and not supposed to open until noon tomorrow. Lake Shore Drive downtown Chicago is closed with abandoned vehicles and a bus that sat with people on it stranded for over 3 1/2 hours. So happy I was not on that bus!
Hope everyone is safe, warm and snuggled up with their favorite quilt!

Keepstitchin
February 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
As Cathy said, I won't say anything about our beautiful sunny day here in the northwest :icon_heh:

I hope all you have power and are keeping warm. Trish, I am so glad you have talked to Odie and he is safe and warm and dry, again, I don't know how you keep it together!

Stay warm and safe quilty friends!!

toggpine
February 2nd, 2011, 04:01 AM
Congrats Suzy! I got my HAM license last year. It was required for one of the volunteer organizations I work with. Sadly I haven't picked up a radio since I was licensed. I don't have a radio of my own, so I have to use theirs. I think we are doing some com practice this summer. I'll let you know if are going to do more than "local" site to site coms.

Hey Patti! Chicago is being featured on our local news right now. They are talking about Lakeshore Drive being closed. My grandmother said she had 14" of snow on top of ice at her place outside of Tulsa, OK. They kept my father and his wife in the hospital on some sort of a code after his operation, even though he was cleared to go home. They didn't want them out on the road, getting in an accident, and ending up back in the ER. I've never heard of that, but it makes some sense.

It was sunny today, but is is cold & clear here tonight and it is down to 29F already, and the temp is still falling.
The pictures of this storm from the Rockies to the East are looking pretty ugly! You all take care of yourselves!
Cathy

rebeccas-sewing
February 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm sitting here in the flat in London reading all about the U.S. weather. I told my husband, "Honey, I don't need to watch the weather channel. All I need to do is tune in to MSQC." I really enjoyed reading all about the weather back home (even if it's treacherous) and hearing all about your plans for the day or night. Right now you are all sleeping soundly, I hope. Another gloomy day in London has begun.

mamaquilt
February 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm sitting here in the flat in London reading all about the U.S. weather. I told my husband, "Honey, I don't need to watch the weather channel. All I need to do is tune in to MSQC." I really enjoyed reading all about the weather back home (even if it's treacherous) and hearing all about your plans for the day or night. Right now you are all sleeping soundly, I hope. Another gloomy day in London has begun.

I'm not sitting in London, but in Luxembourg. Yesterday a friend called from Indiana and complained about the weather conditions. I told him I knew, because of the General Chit-Chat in MSQC.

Right now it's only freezing (-4C) here in Luxembourg with a thin white layer of snow.
Keep my fingers crossed the weather won't be too bad in the US and that everybody gets all their quilting done.

greetings from Luxembourg:icon_wave: