PDA

View Full Version : Big lots jelly rolls

Mpyles
April 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM
I bought some of these, tried using them...not much success. Everything I did with them came out wonky and looked like I had quilted it before I had even added the batting and backing. Anyone else have this problem??i have 3 more so if anyone has luck I will send them your way!

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 02:02 AM
I used one of them in a baby quilt and had no problems with it. As a matter of fact I was impressed with it because I had just finished struggling with a wonky Jelly Roll I got here.

I am sorry that happened to you.

K. McEuen
April 21st, 2013, 02:06 AM
I haven't had any issues with the jelly rolls or the charm packs from big lots. I've used 3 or 4 of them now.

Madeforyouinma11
April 21st, 2013, 04:21 AM
We have a "Big Lots" here but I've never even thought of looking for fabric there...didn't even know they sold any. Will have to check it out..it's right down the street from Joann's. how are the prices on them?

Klasien
April 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM
So sorry to hear that. We don't have jellyrolls here so I am not of a big help. I wish we had some stores that did for a normal price.
The stores that carry some precuts are way out of price......I think you pay around $ 60,00 up to $ 70,00 for 1 jellyroll......

Just sorry to read that they did not work out for you!!!

Iris Girl
April 21st, 2013, 05:43 AM
sorry you had a bad one. I have used several and several charm packs with no problems. I like the way they sew up.

Granny Judy
April 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM
We have a "Big Lots" here but I've never even thought of looking for fabric there...didn't even know they sold any. Will have to check it out..it's right down the street from Joann's. how are the prices on them?

Our store here charges $7.50 for a 22 strips jelly roll. I have around 5 sitting here in front of me, waiting for me to start sewing. I'm trying to think of a new pattern and all that comes to mind is the Jelly roll race. Been there, done that. I was wanting something new, sew I'm thinking hidden well??

I haven't had much trouble with using these Rolls.. and I experiment with them all the time before getting into my stash of Expensive fabrics. Make sure you get the ones that have NOT been opened.

MayinJerset
April 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Where does Big Lots display the jellyrolls, etc.?

Last week I stopped a nearby one but didn't find any jellyrolls or charm packs - in fact no fabric items at all.
There are 2 others that I pass when visiting friends and it would be helpful to know which department to check out. May in Jersey

Bubby
April 21st, 2013, 09:38 AM
May,

My Big Lots had the jellyrolls in a smallish box near the yarn and other craft supplies. If I had blinked I would have missed them. They also had some FQs that didn't look real nice. The jellyrolls are $7.50 for 24 strips.

Mpyles
April 21st, 2013, 10:29 AM
Maybe it is me, or the pattern I was making. I did notice that the problem was always with two of the strips particularly.

CountryHut
April 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM
I had to go on a hunt in the store for the jelly rolls and charm packs ---

this is what I did with one JR . .. haven't put it all together yet . . I think I got 16 - 10 inch blocks out of one JR -

HdWench
April 21st, 2013, 10:48 AM
Got 6 the last time I was out at Big Lots - haven't tried them yet. Thought at 7.50 for 22 piece Jelly Roll if nothing else borders would be good. Only 3 or 4 colors in each, but don't bother asking the clerk! They told me no, they don't carry any fabric LOL Found it at the back by the Yarn!! Wasn't easy but hope it's worth it.

What if you starched it a bit first to keep it from getting wonky? Hope your next ones are ok, good luck those who are searching

Mpyles
April 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
I had to go on a hunt in the store for the jelly rolls and charm packs ---

this is what I did with one JR . .. haven't put it all together yet . . I think I got 16 - 10 inch blocks out of one JR -

Lol this is the exact jr I used and it is the orange and the all pink ones that seem to be my problem. Mind you they sewed together in strips fine...but when I cut them in to patches..this is where I had problems.

buckeyequilter
April 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM
I have 2 of those JR's and 4 of the green/blue ones. I am going to make quilts for my granddaughters with the green/blue and I'm going to do the string quilt with the papers, from Jenny's tutorial. I hope the JR's work out for it.

Claire Hallman
April 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM
I have 4 that I have bought and for now just looking at them, along with the jelly rolls from M*QC that are on the shelf. Those are next to the charm packs, LOL.
I plan on taking the blue/green one and making a strip quilt with the greens on the bottom grading up to blue and then I am going to applique some kites or balloons on it for a Project Linus quilt.
Someday I will do this.:icon_hi:

toggpine
April 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
I wonder if it's just the cut on the strip. If it gets a wonk-a-doodle in the strip-cutter-thingie it could be more of a bias cut. That could happen no matter if it's a Jelly you bought at Tuesday Morning or the LQS.
I bought a couple last summer and mixed them up for a patriotic swap. The ones I bought seemed decent quality as far as the weave and the feel went. I have yet to to do anything with the swapped fabrics, so I can't say for sure. I passed up several others in the box because they didn't look as good.
I have found some good deals there, and I have always found the fabrics and quilting tools in the "craft" section.

If you are a candle junkie, they have some decent prices there too. (I love to have a few on hand for quick gifts.)

Madeforyouinma11
April 21st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info....I will definitely check it out.

Our store here charges $7.50 for a 22 strips jelly roll. I have around 5 sitting here in front of me, waiting for me to start sewing. I'm trying to think of a new pattern and all that comes to mind is the Jelly roll race. Been there, done that. I was wanting something new, sew I'm thinking hidden well??

I haven't had much trouble with using these Rolls.. and I experiment with them all the time before getting into my stash of Expensive fabrics. Make sure you get the ones that have NOT been opened.

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
Granny Judy, I am doing Summer in the Park, Jellystone Park and Sweet Stars all with Jelly Rolls. I am actually missing the jelly roll race so I may have to go get more jelly rolls to do that.

ConnieNana
April 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM
I know the name brand designers of jellys are expensive. So is my time and patience. I will pay for them when I can find them on sale. I prefer quality fabric if I am going to put any effort into it.

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
Most of us that have used the Jelly Rolls from Big Lots have found they are no worse then a lot of the fabric you get at a LQS. I had less trouble with the JR I got at big lots than one I used from M* for being cut correctly. I think finding inexpensive fabric that isn't see through is a great way to stretch a quilting budget.

NanaB
April 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM

"Off Track" by Cluck Cluck Sew is a good Jelly Roll pattern. I put a neutral with the JR and have made a couple from this pattern.

shannonsaulter
April 21st, 2013, 11:31 PM
I have checked 3 dif big lots no luck here