PDA

View Full Version : Being married to a nerd means......

Divine Daisy
April 20th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Watching things and hearing about Darwin's theory endlessly

Having stuff explained about things I can't spell let alone understand.

Sitting quietly together only to have him leap up and rush off to the workshop. then have him return grumbling that 'that didn't work'

Living in a computor graveyard

Getting the maths for my quilting done for me

Listening to conversations between him and daughter that sound like blah blah blah

Anyone with any others?

K. McEuen
April 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hey, getting the math done for you makes up a lot for all the other things. I worked with different engineers for years, they have their own weird humor. It was scary because I started to get their jokes after a while.

Musical_Starling
April 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM
This is probably how The Giant feels lol I'm definitely the nerd of the family :D

Amber
April 20th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I can certainly relate to the computer graveyard. Along with the unlimited parts, cables and all the related boxes. They never want to throw a box away. What's up with that?

ncgrammie
April 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
In high school I thought today’s nerds are tomorrows bosses. I Love Nerds. My DBF can set and talk for hours about mechanical things like airplane engines and boat motors or whatever it is that those things have, and I hang onto every, un-understandable syllable that he says. I love it. I am not a nerd, but I can’t help but love them. Does that make me nerdier than nerds?

Winniesfriend
April 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I am definitely not married to a nerd but I do have a hubby that likes to keep all of the old computers and of course all of the old phone charging cables, or any other cable - you never know when you might need it ..... yeah right,,, OK I dont throw out any of my craft stuff but that is different. :).

Iris Girl
April 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
My son is the computer nerd he can talk all kinds of words and parts and things computer related that sound like jibberish to me. then he will translate to *nub* language so I can understand. LOL hubby does the same thing with mechanics. but if I put the shoe on the other foot its probaly what I sound like to them when I am rattling off names of patterns, fabrics and templates. so I guess this makes us all a little bit nerd in our own respect.

Lisapc
April 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM
These are part of my life with my nerd and our son who is his mini me.

Having stuff explained about things I can't spell let alone understand- or have any interest in.

Sitting quietly together only to have him leap up and rush off to the basement. then have him return grumbling that 'that didn't work'

Living in a computer and electronic graveyard

Getting the maths for my quilting done for me- with complaints that he knows I know how to do it.

Listening to conversations between him and son that sound like blah blah blah

Being forced to go bake or sew when I am not in the mood because of the mundane shows they watch, I can only handle so much of "how's that made, History channel and any show related to trains".

Getting that look that I get when I dare to not know or care about the wattage or software working of whatever it is they are interested in.

Being the only one in the house without an amazing eye for detail and being left to wish they would use their power for good and not the spec of dust or stray dog hair left behind after I clean something!

I dearly love them both but you reminded me that they are not perfect, mother's day is coming and they better be good to me!

buckeyequilter
April 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know if my hubby is a nerd or not....I don't listen to him.

bkthomas
April 20th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I can imagine Mr. Daisy can come up with his own list too, like;

I brag on my wife's work but it gets me into a lot of trouble!
(think oh, no trouble quilts)

Divine Daisy
April 20th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I can imagine Mr. Daisy can come up with his own list too, like;

I brag on my wife's work but it gets me into a lot of trouble!
(think oh, no trouble quilts)

LOL yes! the oh its no trouble quilts!

He has now learnt.......I dunno (think scooby doo) you better ask her

Divine Daisy
April 20th, 2013, 08:30 PM
In high school I thought today’s nerds are tomorrows bosses. I Love Nerds. My DBF can set and talk for hours about mechanical things like airplane engines and boat motors or whatever it is that those things have, and I hang onto every, un-understandable syllable that he says. I love it. I am not a nerd, but I can’t help but love them. Does that make me nerdier than nerds?

Yeah it does!

Claire Hallman
April 20th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I love that my DH who is a former machinist/machine repairman can fix almost anything and can also do "the math" if I need him to.:D He knows what all those little dots on a measuring tape mean.:0

ncgrammie
April 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM
I
Yeah it does!

LOL! I love your answer Daisy. I thought about it awhile I was reading other posts and I think I am a very serious nerd-wannabe:)

ilive2craft2
April 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM
I have to admit that I am the nerd or the geek in my family. Now I have even more terms they don't understand, but now they are quilting terms....Lisa

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM
I

LOL! I love your answer Daisy. I thought about it awhile I was reading other posts and I think I am a very serious nerd-wannabe:)

You are right though. Someone once told me when I was in Jr. High that the progression is this. A football/sports star in high school will someday being the guy pumping your gas or fixing your toilet. A maggot/rocker would be either the rich artistic type or the chooses to be poor hippy, the nerd or science guy would be the one that lends the money to the banks or owns the big companies everyone wants to work for.

I love my borderline nerd and he loves his maggot/rocker chick! If only we had the money those adults promised us we would make we would be golden!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2013, 01:34 AM
I lived in a family full of engineer/computer geeks/programmers. My late DH had a top security clearance, always told us if he told us about his work, he'd then have to kill us, so not much engineer talk around our house! One good thing is I can get my computer fixed, usualy by the DIL, who does her magic on my computer and cable box everytime she comes to visit. Too bad she lives far away, and I only see her twice a year!

Mchelem
April 21st, 2013, 01:48 AM
You are right though. Someone once told me when I was in Jr. High that the progression is this. A football/sports star in high school will someday being the guy pumping your gas or fixing your toilet. A maggot/rocker would be either the rich artistic type or the chooses to be poor hippy, the nerd or science guy would be the one that lends the money to the banks or owns the big companies everyone wants to work for.

I love my borderline nerd and he loves his maggot/rocker chick! If only we had the money those adults promised us we would make we would be golden!

That guy fixing your toilet might be grossing 2 million a year....

Just saying.

(I'm married to a plumber)

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 01:53 AM
That guy fixing your toilet might be grossing 2 million a year....

Just saying.

(I'm married to a plumber)

There is nothing wrong with a plumber. Nothing wrong with anyone gainfully employed. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone. Sorry. My Dad is a mechanic and there is no man I more respect than him and my hubby equally of course! He is brilliant and hard working. I love the smell of a garage. Brings me back to being a little girl and he provided very well for all 9 of us kids.

phoots
April 21st, 2013, 02:50 AM
My BF is a sports nerd, but he's a SEPCIFIC sports nerd. He knows everything about the Green Bay Packers, and darn near everything about the UNLV Basketball team. But don't count him out in any conversation dealing the pro football. He can hold his own! This Thursday is the NFL draft and he watches it every year. I sit and watch it with him, like the good GF that I am!!

Pam in Vegas

Evilynn
April 21st, 2013, 04:25 AM
Hubby and I are equally nerds. Sadly we're only gaming but not computer nerds lol! We can fix most of the computer issues if there happen to be any, but sometimes we look at each other, clueless. He plays a lot more than I do, tho. I have the baby around 12 hours per day with him sometimes gracefully taking her for one or two hours of those when I am seriously stressed out and need a break! That basically gives me only the times when she sleeps to sew or play. He takes Janna for the Saturday afternoon usually to give me a small weekend break. And on Sunday we take turns. It's quite okay since he is a .. Electronic nerd! :P

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2013, 05:33 AM
I live with the same. Doesn't matter what subject comes up, Joe will spill out information on the subject as if he's just read a page in the encyclopedia. It can actually be quite annoying! LOL

Sandy Navas
April 21st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Try living with a guy who has recently been chosen to 'trial run' Google Glass . . . yeah, fun conversations.

MRoy
April 21st, 2013, 01:40 PM
Between DH and me, I'm the computer nerd and our son is a bigger computer nerd than me. Son doesn't buy new computers, he buys the components and builds them. When I need a computer consult, I call him first. DH gets technical about farming practices and equipment but has me searching the internet for any information he needs.

bec
April 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
I know what you mean in a way...not that my husband is a nerd, but I have two adult children who are very knowledgeable in their fields (computer science & biology). My eyes tend to glaze over sometimes because I have noooooo clue what they are talking about! LOL My son the computer software engineer also has an unbelievable memory and has an abundance of knowledge about most anything you start talking about. Sometimes we learn more about stuff than we really want to know. LOL DH nor I can figure out where they get all those brains! LOL

MartinaG
April 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Instead of taking the groceries in the house at night, we have to stand in the yard and look at the stars. No matter how hard that man tries, I can't identify more than the big dipper, orion's belt and the 7 sisters. Everything else is pretty, blinky and bloody far away.

Once I told him that I found the giraffe. He laughed and informed me that there was no such constellation. Apparently I had confused the dragon. So I stopped trying. lol

twnkeyes
April 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM
Oh yes, I have my very own! He loves history of the world, knows dates, battles, geography, kings, queens, emperors, why & how and believes everyone else should know this information before he starts a story. He can build and weld, figure any problem out and is constantly fixing things even if they don't need it! Did I mention he also loves Quantum Physics, what the heck is that???? Does it have anything to do with Quantum Leap, the t.v. show??? He's far from boring, everyone LOVES the guy! He's the life of the party! He married waaaaaay beneath him but he treats me like a queen and I love him even when I zone out during one of his renditions. God blessed me but I'm not sure about the hubs!

Wwena
April 21st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Being the only one in the house without an amazing eye for detail and being left to wish they would use their power for good and not the spec of dust or stray dog hair left behind after I clean something!

I hope they clean too?!?

Wwena
April 21st, 2013, 06:03 PM
Oh and we are both nerds. :D

buckeyequilter
April 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM
My nerd just put the hopping foot on my sewing machine. It was supposed to go like this: take the end cover off, remove the light bulb, loosen the pressure, put the foot on, turn a screw, adjust foot, tighten screw....done and ready to go.

It went like this: take the end cover off, remove light, figure out which way to turn pressure (since I had the cover off and couldn't tell), put the foot on, hmmmm.....no screw....now what....get the nerd! After a lot of swearing and dragging tools to my room....it was actually a hex screw thingy that could barely be seen...he got it adjusted. Now for the trial.....hmmmm.....tension problems.....more adjusting....better but not there yet...and on and on. Five hours later and I think we've got it now.

WendyI
April 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM
Well sadly, I can relate to all the nerds...what's weird is I was never a nerd in school....I never picked up a book, studied on the bus on the way to school and was mostly bored to death while there...and partied...a LOT. Imagine if I'd just applied myself or been encouraged! So now, at 47 I am happily co-habitating with a nerd and we are raising a nerd son, and I love it! I'm kind of a hybrid nerd tho...I can trouble shoot a computer or change the brakes on my car if I need to, and I love sports and heavy metal music as well as orchestral symphony but detest opera....Pink Floyd is royalty and Hunter Hays kicks butt! I'm a bit of a history buff, love sociology, but math and I do NOT play nice at ALL! So I'm kind of all over the map...but working 23 years at a top Canadian University has taught me...nerds may know their stuff...but boy don't ask them to unjam a photocopier!

Lisapc
April 21st, 2013, 11:55 PM
I hope they clean too?!?

The big one does laundry and the little one cleans his up his own toys and loves to cook. I am a lucky gal!

CrazyMtnLady
April 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Mine knows EVERYTHING....just ask him! LOL..

buckeyequilter
April 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Mine knows EVERYTHING....just ask him! LOL..

Do we even dare ask them a question?

Mpyles
April 22nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Lol, this is entirely too funny!!

ConnieNana
April 22nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
My DDH is not a nerd but a geek and packrat supreme. He keeps everything....in case he might need it. Old text books, manuels of things we don't have anymore, projects galore, computers he is going to rebuild, HAM radio equipment for his ongoing hobby and a ladybug fabric stash that almost makes me want to call the exterminator. He has loved me and has taken excellent care of me for 46 years to the point that I know I am spoiled. He is an amazing math and science whiz (which really helped in school work for our seven children) and my best friend. I would not trade him for all the fabric in the world. Think I will keep him. :)

Divine Daisy
April 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
My DDH is not a nerd but a geek and packrat supreme. He keeps everything....in case he might need it. Old text books, manuels of things we don't have anymore, projects galore, computers he is going to rebuild, HAM radio equipment for his ongoing hobby and a ladybug fabric stash that almost makes me want to call the exterminator. He has loved me and has taken excellent care of me for 46 years to the point that I know I am spoiled. He is an amazing math and science whiz (which really helped in school work for our seven children) and my best friend. I would not trade him for all the fabric in the world. Think I will keep him. :)

This caused a sucking of teeth in our house!

All the fabric in the world is a LOT of fabric!

I put it to Mr D and he paused and said he would give his chances at about 60/40 in his favour. When I asked him if he would swap me for every gadget in the world he said........does that include cameras and lenses, I said yep.......... apparently my chances are about 80/20 in the camera and gadget favour. LOL

auntiemern
April 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't know what it is like being married to a nerd, geek. Mine is the ultimate jock, hunter, gatherer. I am guessing that either way can have it's own set of challenges.

debinmalaga
April 24th, 2013, 06:43 AM
LOL, Daisy, got a chuckle as my ex was a nerd and I'm a bit of one myself.

For the past 22 years I don't live with a nerd, but I do live with an automotive technician. This means:

Never worrying about car repairs costing a lot of money... I do, however, have to wait FOREVER for mine to be a priority!

My "how was your day?" being answered by "busy; you don't really want me to EXPLAIN it, do you?" (no, I don't!)

However, Mike IS an American History nerd, and will try to get me into heated conversations about the Federalist Papers, the revolution, the civil war, and the second amendment, and that's just to warm up. Since I agree with everything he says that makes for tedious conversational attempts and he gives up. I ask him, would you rather I DISagreed??