PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching - anyone else?

Wwena
April 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I started geocaching this week. Some collegues have been doing it for years and I've opted not to start until now since it seems you get really hooked lol. Last week though I decided I should give it a go, that it would be a fun way to spend a couple of lunch walks and a good way to get out with the family on weekends and in the evenings. Needless to say I really took to it. :D Six caches down, three with my collegues and three on my own or with Alice. Some I tried and couldn't find, soooo frustrating. Already went back to one of them but still not able to find it. Too much muggle activity (ie non geocachers) close by to give it a serious go...

For those who don't know (most I'm sure!) geocaching is one of the nerdiest things out there. What it is, is people hiding tiny stuff, often just a small container (think old plastic "cans" that film to your analog camaeras used to come in) that holds only a list and maybe a pen. They post the coordinates to the stash at the site and then others (like me) can go searching for it and post that they've found it. Sometimes there are hints and there is always some information about the place where it's hidden, since often it's a place worth visiting. The cache is graded on terrain (for instance you might have to climb a tree if it's graded as hard terrain) and on difficulty in finding the cache (the harder the grade, the less obvious hiding place). All the while you're supposed to be really secretive, no one is to know you are looking and of course, when you find the cache no one can see. (This I gather is both for making it more fun and for protecting the caches.)

People all over the world do this, it's great fun reading the comments other geocachers have posted about caches you've been to yourself.

www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/)

Me at my first cache (the lion is just outside where I work and it is looking at the cache!)

Any takers?

:D

Lisapc
April 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hubby and I saw a story on this about a year ago. It isn't for us but I see how it can be a fun thing to do. When I venture out I want to relax and go where the mood takes me. No missions involved in my adventures.

Have fun!

Sandy Navas
April 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
DD wanted me to do it with her several years ago but I declined. I do, however, know someone locally who is quite active. In fact, this guy asked if he could put a box at the end of our driveway - it's an unusual oddity - and we agreed. Unfortunately the girls know it is there and quite often sneak down to check it out and leave their own bits and pieces.

Wwena
April 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Lol I would love to have a cache nearby and watch people try to look inconspicuous (err) trying to find it.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 20th, 2013, 04:24 PM
We bought a GPS about 8-9 years ago, so hubs and I could find our way around our property. We were interested in doing this. But he got sick and passed away before we really did much with it. It sounds like a lot of fun! I love maps and coordinates and stuff like that. Now, I live in the city and it just doesn't seem like a place to do that, but I guess you are doing it in the city!

Evilynn
April 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
There is even stuff in Mikkeli! I just looked. Seems to be fun, perhaps Juha and I will give it a try! Thank you for the hint, Anna!

Wwena
April 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM
We bought a GPS about 8-9 years ago, so hubs and I could find our way around our property. We were interested in doing this. But he got sick and passed away before we really did much with it. It sounds like a lot of fun! I love maps and coordinates and stuff like that. Now, I live in the city and it just doesn't seem like a place to do that, but I guess you are doing it in the city!

Oh definatly! Have a look at the maps on their site and see if you can't find one! I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy it with your husband but I'm sure you could get someone else to accompany you on your secret missions. :)

There is even stuff in Mikkeli! I just looked. Seems to be fun, perhaps Juha and I will give it a try! Thank you for the hint, Anna!

Yay have fun!

I'm Wwena on that site too if you start and want to be friends there too. :)

Divine Daisy
April 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mr Daisy is a geocache nut. Wanders off to find one all the time. Several near us owing to being a wild but touristy area. Can combine a Wuthering Heights pilgrimage with a geocache.

He looks for things to leave in them that will raise a smile.

Wwena
April 21st, 2013, 04:54 AM
Mr Daisy is a geocache nut. Wanders off to find one all the time. Several near us owing to being a wild but touristy area. Can combine a Wuthering Heights pilgrimage with a geocache.

He looks for things to leave in them that will raise a smile.

I found one with some small easter chickens in it yesterday, sure made me smile! :D

Suzette
April 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
So funny you mention this. Hubby and I were hiking with our dog Piper on one of our favorite trails the other day and met a father and son who were geocaching. (They called it something slightly different, though it did have "geo" in the name, but still the exact same principle). They were having a good time and it looked like a great bonding experience for them. We had a good time chatting with them and then we all went on our way, but I think it would be great on many levels, but especially if you do this with your kids. :icon_bigsmile:

nyelphaba
April 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
I Geocache with my son. We have great times, so much fun.

Mchelem
April 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM
My kids got me involved and we love it!!

Wwena
April 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Good to hear! :D

shannonsaulter
April 21st, 2013, 11:30 PM
Oh its big here! I have done it but not much...

Evilynn
April 22nd, 2013, 04:49 AM
Juha wants when the weather is better and I feel good enough to go with me and the kid! :) He had heard about it earlier already and knew what I was talking about when I told him. Well, we shall give it a try! :)