PDA

View Full Version : The verdict is in

Meli
April 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I went to the doc today to find out what the heck I've done to my foot. After 10 days, it is still painful to walk. In fact, the farther I walk, the worse it feels. It seems when I jumped to run answer the door I managed to sprain my Achilles tendon. The pop I heard/felt was probably the sound of a small tear. I need to continue taking it easy, icing 2 - 3 times a day, and wait for the preauthorization from the insurance, followed by two weeks of physical therapy. If all goes well with the PT, then we're done. If it doesn't go well, then I get to see a podiatrist, who will likely want to operate.

It's nice to know what's wrong, finally.

sewbizzy
April 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Sending prayers your way for healing with therapy...

Winniesfriend
April 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Oh bugger, I feel for your, I tore one of my calf muscles a couple of years ago it took 6 1/2 months to get back to normal. I hope you feel better soon, you better sit back relax and do some hand sewing :).

K. McEuen
April 19th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Ugh! Achilles tendon injuries are the worst. I broke the corner off the bone that held that tendon in place. It had to be pinned back in place with a 3 inch screw, along with all the other hardware used on the other breaks. Well, that one spot hurt like a mother ... so much more than all the rest. After surgery and casts and braces, when I could finally put some weight on it, it felt so good to have my foot back to normal that I overdid and had to send my mom to the car for my crutches (thank goodness I had left them there) so I could walk out of the store. Ended up back at the doc. Seems I had sprained the Achilles tendon and had to use my crutches again for 4 weeks.

Ice it, elevate it, stay off of it, as much as possible. Baby that sucker so you don't have to go through the surgery because it hurts!

Lisapc
April 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Ouch! At least you know you have a real problem and aren't just a baby. You have pain and I hope you find some relief from it soon.

Sandy Navas
April 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Meli, I sure don't want to swipe your bad news but I have to share a story - not personal though.

I used to live next door to an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor who tore his Achilles tendon playing tennis. He had surgery, was put in a walking cast, and proceeded (humph, who says doctors are smart) to go on a vacation which would involve a lot of walking. He started swelling inside the cast to the point that his toes were turning BLUE. Being in a foreign country he went to the hotel for help and they sent him to the kitchen where they literally used an electric knife to remove the cast. Don't let this happen to you.

Once he healed up he managed to tear the opposite tendon playing tennis.

pcbatiks
April 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Meli ........now that you know what the problem is.......be sure to take care of yourself & give that foot the rest it needs!

Meli
April 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Sandy, I promise not to go on a walking tour of a foreign country. And if there is a cast in my future that needs cutting off, I'm pretty sure DH will volunteer for the job. He's sadistic like that. And I absolutely swear to you I will not be playing tennis! lol

Meli, I sure don't want to swipe your bad news but I have to share a story - not personal though.

I used to live next door to an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor who tore his Achilles tendon playing tennis. He had surgery, was put in a walking cast, and proceeded (humph, who says doctors are smart) to go on a vacation which would involve a lot of walking. He started swelling inside the cast to the point that his toes were turning BLUE. Being in a foreign country he went to the hotel for help and they sent him to the kitchen where they literally used an electric knife to remove the cast. Don't let this happen to you.

Once he healed up he managed to tear the opposite tendon playing tennis.

Meli
April 19th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Karen, so sorry you've been through this! Today, honestly, has felt MUCH better, just feeling right rather than borderline unbearable. The beginning of the week I could hardly walk! I'd never heard of a sprained AT before. NEVER want to experience this again.

Ugh! Achilles tendon injuries are the worst. I broke the corner off the bone that held that tendon in place. It had to be pinned back in place with a 3 inch screw, along with all the other hardware used on the other breaks. Well, that one spot hurt like a mother ... so much more than all the rest. After surgery and casts and braces, when I could finally put some weight on it, it felt so good to have my foot back to normal that I overdid and had to send my mom to the car for my crutches (thank goodness I had left them there) so I could walk out of the store. Ended up back at the doc. Seems I had sprained the Achilles tendon and had to use my crutches again for 4 weeks.

Ice it, elevate it, stay off of it, as much as possible. Baby that sucker so you don't have to go through the surgery because it hurts!

phoots
April 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Meli, I'm sorry to hear that! I will be praying for you! Take it easy!

Pam in Vegas