PDA

View Full Version : New Neighborhood Swimming Pools

Jean Sewing Machine
April 18th, 2013, 09:03 PM
We've had tons of rain the past few days. My neighbor across the street called in a panic, because his newly finished basement had just become a swimming pool! Another neighbor two doors down had the same thing happen.

I've been in the same situation in the past during heavy rains. We have these basement windows that are extra big, called egress windows. They are big enough that a person could escape from them if there was a fire and the regular stairs were blocked. Code says you must have an exit if someone lives in the basement. Since I have a bedroom down there and someone could live in the room where I keep my stash, the egress window was a necessity.

But, when they put in the windows, they were pretty careless about making sure the drainage near the window was well done. Mine leaked 4 times, ruining a brand new carpet. I finally just ripped it out and put in ceramic tile, then had thousands of $$$$ of outside work done to keep the window well from filling up during a heavy rain. Lucky for me, this rain did not come into my basement. Knock on wood!

So, my neighbor got every pump and vacuum I had amassed for my past water clean up duties. I am so glad to see a dry basement when others are having to deal with water in their basement. It is not a fun thing to deal with.

bkthomas
April 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Oh Dear, I feel sorry for your neighbors - but am also very glad that you are not having that problem any more!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Oh Dear, I feel sorry for your neighbors - but am also very glad that you are not having that problem any more!

Me too, he made me go down and look, and I was so scared of what I would find, but it was dry, thank heaven!

mom4him
April 18th, 2013, 09:35 PM
UGH! been there and had to do that. No fun. Nice of you to lend the equipment to them.

K. McEuen
April 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM
No basements here. Of course we very seldom have rain either! You guys get more in one day sometimes than we get all year.

Lisapc
April 18th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I know you spent a lot of money to correct the problem but I would still feel lucky to have a dry basement. Kind of you to lend out your equipment.

ilive2craft2
April 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Jean, glad you took the steps to really correct the issue. You now have proof that it was worth it. We have a small water issue in our basement - it just gets wet at one end, but no standing water. We really need to get someone in here to look at it and get it corrected. I feel sorry for your neighbors, nice of you to lend out the equipment you aren't having to use. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
April 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I know you spent a lot of money to correct the problem but I would still feel lucky to have a dry basement. Kind of you to lend out your equipment.

He tried to help me when I had my problem. It was the least I could do. He had leaks in the past, but now that his basement is finished, it is a much more serious issue. Nice new hardwood floors, now underwater. Ouch!

MayinJerset
April 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
We don't have basements in my development because of the high water table and lots of creeks nearby. We miss having that extra space but have been saved a lot of work and money not having one. May in Jersey

WendyI
April 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM
He tried to help me when I had my problem. It was the least I could do. He had leaks in the past, but now that his basement is finished, it is a much more serious issue. Nice new hardwood floors, now underwater. Ouch!

Ouch indeed! yikes! The only place in our house we have carpet is in our basement. We had water issues when our house was first built but forced the builder to take care of it. Thankfully they did but it was a total nightmare to deal with...the entire house has been a disaster...such a HORRIBLE builder we had. However, I'm so happy that you are no longer experiencing the problem. So sad for your neighbours though...how stressful. Will their home insurance cover the damage?

Jean Sewing Machine
April 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Ouch indeed! yikes! The only place in our house we have carpet is in our basement. We had water issues when our house was first built but forced the builder to take care of it. Thankfully they did but it was a total nightmare to deal with...the entire house has been a disaster...such a HORRIBLE builder we had. However, I'm so happy that you are no longer experiencing the problem. So sad for your neighbours though...how stressful. Will their home insurance cover the damage?

So sorry, it's an act of God, we don't cover that! That's what my insurance company told me!

dwil23
April 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Keep that stash dry! We don't have a basement, but my bedroom has a history of flooding during heavy rains. My DS worked very hard last summer to correct the problem. We will see......

Jean Sewing Machine
April 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Keep that stash dry! We don't have a basement, but my bedroom has a history of flooding during heavy rains. My DS worked very hard last summer to correct the problem. We will see......my stash is safe but if the room flodeed, I would lose about 200-300 patterns that are stored in cardboard boxes under the daybed. Some are vintage. Maybe I'd better get them in plastic totes.