PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on writing out this contract?

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM
If you know what I'm talking about it's a trade for a car for yard work for six months.

I David.... will do work for six months. Which includes

mowing
hauling
hedge trimming
spraying
weed wacking

etc.

This is an exchange for a Ford sedan,

I Lorie will hand this over early but I will hunt you down if you don't come back.lol

K. McEuen
April 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM
You need to state that he assumes all financial responsibility for said vehicle, up to and including getting it registered in his name, insurance as required by your state and anything else that totally removes you from liability in case anything happens while he is driving that car.

It'a basically his once you sign the title over, but you need to make sure that it is no longer registered in your name.

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Karen that happened to me before. I sold a car to a friend. He said I will take care of it (I was young and didn't know how to do it) He left it on the side of the road abandoned and I had to go to court for it. Twice!

I just need some advice on writing this out. I have so much on my plate right now and I'm stuck.

K. McEuen
April 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I don't know how it is there, but here in NM the seller retains the license plates. After you sell the car you turn them in to the Motor Vehicle Department unless you register them on another car within 30 days. I turned plates in on a car I sold and about 6 months later got a notice that it was in impound. I called the place, said it's not mine, plates were turned in. Seems the people that bought it never registered it and left it on the side of the road dead. I was free and clear because of the plates being given back. MVD had it all on record. The impound got my name off the VIN. I laughed and told them to junk it that they would never get money from the person that bought it.

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm not so worried about the car right now. I really don't care about this car anymore. I'm just concerned how to write this contract out that is fair.

Sharyn J
April 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Good advice from Karen. CYA, even if he is a good friend and good worker. You need to protect yourself and should have everything in writing, signed and dated. Many states require the plates turned in to the DMV within 30 days. Make sure you have all your "I's" dotted and "T's" crossed before you turn over the car.

WVGranny
April 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I think it is wonderful you are trying to help the young man out , he probably doen't know all the ins and outs so you may have to help him out on the title transfer, tags and all good luck to you both

Mchelem
April 18th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Karen that happened to me before. I sold a car to a friend. He said I will take care of it (I was young and didn't know how to do it) He left it on the side of the road abandoned and I had to go to court for it. Twice!

I just need some advice on writing this out. I have so much on my plate right now and I'm stuck.

In Texas, they suggest going to the tax office and personally watching the buyer switch the title, or if you are unable to do that, remove the license plates. This forces them to get it in their name to get new plates....

I honestly had to go take the plates off my daughters car 6 months after she bought it from us

And you should be worried about it. If he doesn't register it and gets into an accident, you can be held responsible. If he robs a bank and the cars in your name, you can be held responsible. If he does a hit and run, you can be held responsible. He needs to obtain the registration, insurance and everything else in his name, and your contract needs to stipulate that to protect you.

HandsOffItsMine
April 19th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Auntie Lorie, you need to listen to Karen and the others.

You know the young on the Islands are notorious of drinking and driving - getting insurance for a month and dropping it. If he doesn't get the title transferred in his name, God for bids kills someone, you can be sued, lose your home in Kauai and California.

Also you need to state that he needs to come once a week or every two weeks to do the yards work to repay the debt. Especially on the Islands, greenery grows quickly. $1500/6=$250 per month, he better work real hard if he's coming only twice a month. lol

I'm concerned about your liability the most out of this transaction, please make sure you go with him to take care of the transfer of title. Don't rely on his word, you have too much to lose.

Aloha, Ruby

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM
lol Ruby at Auntie Lorie. It took me awhile to get used to auntie. But it is a show of respect :) now I love it!

A good friend here wrote out something for me so I'm going to be very careful. I already tripped on this path before. I think he thinks he's getting this car right now but I'm going to make him work a little more to see how serious he is.

You girls are the best!