PDA

View Full Version : DH is Grounded

Meli
April 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM
As of this morning, my oldest stepson is officially done with his active duty service in the army. He's arranged for most of his belongings to be shipped home, but still has to drive from Ft. Drum, NY to Salt Lake City, UT. It's a long drive, with lots of interesting things along the way. DH and his first wife both wanted to drive home with him. So, yesterday morning, I dropped them at the airport. They made their way to Chicago with no problems. Chicago, however, was having problems. Their flight was delayed. Delayed again. And finally cancelled. They were told they could be on standby for a flight out later last night or they could be guaranteed a spot on a flight at 9:00 this morning.

DH called me last night from the hotel to give me all the details. He's disappointed not to have made it all the way to Ft. Drum, but, being a practical soul, he wasn't stressing about it.

I was hoping everything was going smoothly for them this morning, so I checked United's website to see the status of the flight. It's delayed well over an hour while they wait for the crew to arrive.

I'm starting to think DH should just stay in Chicago and have the kid meet him there!

alliek
April 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Oh how frustrating this all is for all of you. So sorry for the happiest of reunions to be stalled. Hope this situation clears soon.

CrazyMtnLady
April 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Frustrating for sure. I am sure it is all due to the storms that are going through the area.

Lisapc
April 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Sorry Meli. As long as they get home safely right?

Meli
April 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Just checked the United website again. Looks like the plane is now taxiing down the runway. Two hours late. Maybe they will make it to New York afterall.

ilive2craft2
April 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM
All the storms that went through IL today, I am surprised they weren't delayed even longer. I think those of us left at home worry more about their delays than the people experiencing them. Hope they are safely to their destination by now. Lisa

Meli
April 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Just got off the phone with DH. They arrived in Syracuse, NY and immediately went to lunch. Then the went to Palmyra, NY and the Hill Cumorah, also in New York. These are important historical sites in LDS (aka Mormon) history. Then they drove up to Niagra Falls, pulling in around 10:00pm. DH said they're going to the falls in the morning, then make their way south along Lake Erie, and will likely spend the night in Columbus, OH. DH sounds exhausted and sore, but happy. I'm so glad he is able to have this experience!

ilive2craft2
April 19th, 2013, 01:03 AM
It sounds like a wonderful experience - so glad they got there safely. Lisa