PDA

View Full Version : I am very sorry, but I have to rant...

Musical_Starling
April 17th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I don't often rant, whether here or in real life, but today we got the final straw that broke the camel's back, and I'm ready to explode. And DH is fired up about all of it as well, so if I rant at him we'll be in a yelling match and neither of us will actually be mad at the other lol So to avoid that, please bear with me as I rant... Also, although it involves politics, it's local politics so I don't think that will fire anyone else up. And if you can't read it all, I don't blame you lol

I live in Newfoundland, Canada (as most of you know) and this is a (mostly) quiet little province that also includes Labrador. Our current budget came down a few weeks ago, and it SUCKS. Cuts to education, cuts to healthcare, cuts to our justice system, tourism, libraries, you name all of the "good" stuff that nobody wants to see cut and it got slashed and hacked away like you would not believe. But there was a pocket of money that they wouldn't talk about, $90 million to be exact, and the government were being very hush-hush and wouldn't tell anyone outside of their own party what the money was for. So after cutting over 1200 government positions, cutting all of our school boards and amalgamating them into one super board, removing half of the sheriff's officers, getting rid of adult basic education and cutting everything but their own wages, today we find out what the $90 million is for.

They're bailing out the pulp and paper mill in Corner Brook, specifically the company who runs it. 90 million of OUR tax dollars are going to a company who hasn't kept their head above water in YEARS, and won't after this "loan" runs out either. I'm disgusted! DH is actually from Corner Brook and even he is disgusted. That money could have been put toward education, health care, justice, ANYWHERE but to Kruger! *sigh* And to make matters worse, they're giving away all of that money while we're still headed further into a deficit! Heck, put it toward paying that off instead...

DH and I have been considering moving away, but it's just been a bit of a "what if" up to this point. After this news today, there is no more "if". There is no future here in Newfoundland for young people like us, so I can either stay and live hand to mouth for the rest of my life and never be able to afford children, or I can move away and actually be able to live a normal life with a "normal" cash flow. I'm so sick of this current government and their stupid decisions, and I see all around me the people who have to suffer because of it. Makes me sick...

I don't expect any of you to bore yourselves reading all of this, I just needed to get it all off my chest before I BURST because I'm so po'd today I could spit fire! *sigh* Now I'm just downright depressed at what my little province has become... Not even the oil and gas revenues can haul us out of this one!

Lisapc
April 17th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Rant away!

Your government sounds like ours. Ever hear of Obama's stimulus package that sent billions to the car and banking industry?

I feel for you and commend your courage in choosing to have a better life by moving away to find it.

Here if you need me.

Musical_Starling
April 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Rant away!

Your government sounds like ours. Ever hear of Obama's stimulus package that sent billions to the car and banking industry?

I feel for you and commend your courage in choosing to have a better life by moving away to find it.

Here if you need me.

I remember the auto makers getting bailed out a few years back, was that part of it?

It totally sucks when you pay so much of your wages in taxes, especially when your wages aren't substantial to begin with, and then you see the gov't just p*ssing it away!

Thanks Lisa :)

Lisapc
April 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Yes and a few months later all the stories came out about the senior officers of those companies using it for trips, million dollar bonuses and more. All the while cutting the aid to our elderly and disabled. Our elderly pay their whole lives into social security and he just continually whittles it away.

I am done ranting myself now. It is ironic that you brought this up. Another member who isn't a US resident just told me she loves Obama. There is not a person alive I can't stomach more.

To each his own!

In our current economy I don't see how my daughter and her family will ever be able to live any better than paycheck to paycheck. That is sad and it frightens me. The only change we have seen in years is for the worse.

shannonsaulter
April 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Rant away now breath and go hug that hubby always here..I could rant everyday as I work in a gov contract and see where some of my tax $$ go..but I will leave it at that..(((hugs)))

Musical_Starling
April 17th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Yes and a few months later all the stories came out about the senior officers of those companies using it for trips, million dollar bonuses and more. All the while cutting the aid to our elderly and disabled. Our elderly pay their whole lives into social security and he just continually whittles it away.

I am done ranting myself now. It is ironic that you brought this up. Another member who isn't a US resident just told me she loves Obama. There is not a person alive I can't stomach more.

To each his own!

In our current economy I don't see how my daughter and her family will ever be able to live any better than paycheck to paycheck. That is sad and it frightens me. The only change we have seen in years is for the worse.

Seriously? They should have just said "Here's your bailout money, now take your family to Disneyland!" Oh man... I do have to admit that I like Obama too, but only because he actually seems human unlike Robo-Harper up here lol I guess it's just a matter of the grass being greener on the other side though because he certainly doesn't operate any different by the sounds of it...

Rant away now breath and go hug that hubby always here..I could rant everyday as I work in a gov contract and see where some of my tax $$ go..but I will leave it at that..(((hugs)))

I could never work for gov't, my mouth is too big lol Thanks for the hugs, right now I feel like I could use a few... And one of those ridiculously huge slushy drinks that girls always order on their first "legal" birthday... Or two... lol

Sew Perfect
April 17th, 2013, 11:43 PM
One thing I don't want to talk about on this forum is politics. However, since you brought it...it sound like you're going through what we are. I get very frustrated. Lisa already spoke for me. Thanks Lisa. Dee, rant away.

grammakim04
April 17th, 2013, 11:47 PM
I understand Dee. When I was working, I worked with many people who were forced to move from the Newfoundland area to Alberta for the reasons you mentioned....there was no choice for them.

The people I knew were able to get decent careers/good paying jobs and at least have a future to offer their children. ...but they always talked about their love of home.

We actually moved from MB to AB 17 years ago due to my husband's job, was the best move we ever did, we love it here.

Hope things work out for you and your husband...hard decisions to make.

Kim

WendyI
April 17th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Dee...so sad to hear that this is happening in NF. It's so frustrating to watch the Maritime provinces get robbed of their young people...everyone is leaving to find work elsewhere. I myself had to leave my family behind more than 20 years ago. and have been lonesome for family the entire time. I always thought I'd be able to go back some day but that is never going to happen. There is just NO work. Well and my family lives in the absolute armpit of NB where I could not stand to live. I hear you on Robotica Harper...can't STAND that man.

Musical_Starling
April 17th, 2013, 11:59 PM
One thing I don't want to talk about on this forum is politics. However, since you brought it...it sound like you're going through what we are. I get very frustrated. Lisa already spoke for me. Thanks Lisa. Dee, rant away.

I know politics is touchy, and I went back and forth in my head before I actually posted it, but knowing I'm the only active Newfie on the board (and the fact that pretty much everyone who's not a PC MHA agrees with me here in NL) I figured it was okay. But I in no way, shape, or form want to start a politics debate because that always turns out to be trouble, I just wanted to hate on my OWN government, because they're poopyheads! lol But with that being said, I know that there are a lot of other "poopyheaded" gov't out there too, I think that in some foreign language somewhere the word "government" actually translates into "brainless yes-men" lol

I understand Dee. When I was working, I worked with many people who were forced to move from the Newfoundland area to Alberta for the reasons you mentioned....there was no choice for them.

The people I knew were able to get decent careers/good paying jobs and at least have a future to offer their children. ...but they always talked about their love of home.

We actually moved from MB to AB 17 years ago due to my husband's job, was the best move we ever did, we love it here.

Hope things work out for you and your husband...hard decisions to make.

Kim

MIL and FIL are in Alberta now actually (guess where! Three guesses, first two don't count! lol) so that's kinda influencing us too because we already have them in AB, but it's mostly just knowing that there's no future here. I graduated with honours over two years ago and I haven't been able to find work. I've applied for hundreds, if not thousands of positions that I'm qualified for, I've even handed out applications to companies who aren't hiring, and nothing. I even had a workterm with one of the big oil companies here and got rave reviews and great references, I was well loved there by my superiors and all of the staff, and nothing. It's very frustrating, especially when I know I could move to Alberta and get a job before I've even unpacked my bags. The only thing I'm going to miss is Pineapple Crush and Humpty Dumpty Cheese Sticks, but if I can find them in a Newfie shop up there somewhere then I'm good to go lol

Lisapc
April 18th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Seriously? They should have just said "Here's your bailout money, now take your family to Disneyland!" Oh man... I do have to admit that I like Obama too, but only because he actually seems human unlike Robo-Harper up here lol I guess it's just a matter of the grass being greener on the other side though because he certainly doesn't operate any different by the sounds of it...

I could never work for gov't, my mouth is too big lol Thanks for the hugs, right now I feel like I could use a few... And one of those ridiculously huge slushy drinks that girls always order on their first "legal" birthday... Or two... lol

I am 42 and one of my favorite drinks is the Pina Colada. If I spelled it wrong I don't care because I only need to drink it. I have been in love with these drinks my whole life. My mother makes a mean non alcoholic version I grew up on. I only drink the ones with alcohol when hubby is around.

kensington
April 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Anyone who can add 2 + 2 can look to Canada to see where we are going. Indeed.

Our socilized medicine will tank our Social Security and Medicare. So sad.

Musical_Starling
April 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Dee...so sad to hear that this is happening in NF. It's so frustrating to watch the Maritime provinces get robbed of their young people...everyone is leaving to find work elsewhere. I myself had to leave my family behind more than 20 years ago. and have been lonesome for family the entire time. I always thought I'd be able to go back some day but that is never going to happen. There is just NO work. Well and my family lives in the absolute armpit of NB where I could not stand to live. I hear you on Robotica Harper...can't STAND that man.

All of Atlantic Canada will soon just be vacation homes. Nobody will ever be able to live here because when Ottawa isn't shagging us over our own provincial governments are. Some families left Alberta to come back to NL for the "big oil" and are regretting it. Both of my sisters moved home and have not really recovered since. One sister and her husband are working part time, barely scraping (if that), and the other sister and BIL are doing a little better, at least they're working full time and he owns his own construction company, but they won't ever be rich by any means. If it wasn't for Mom and Dad still living here on the island they never would have come back (and I don't blame them!)

Musical_Starling
April 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I am 42 and one of my favorite drinks is the Pina Colada. If I spelled it wrong I don't care because I only need to drink it. I have been in love with these drinks my whole life. My mother makes a mean non alcoholic version I grew up on. I only drink the ones with alcohol when hubby is around.

I've never had one! I was more of a Harvey Wallbanger girl in my university days and I haven't really had much alcohol since. I usually only drink while MIL/FIL are here for a visit because then I have someone to try girly drinks with lol

Let me just say, "free" healthcare ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's nice to get treated when you need it regardless of income, but because they're footing the bill (albeit with our tax dollars) then it's like going out to supper with a cheap date. Don't expect to get the lobster, because you'd be lucky if you got a hamburger and a few fries! lol

CountryHut
April 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM
-- Dee . . I totally understand your RANT . . it all comes down to -- nothing remains the same . . it may cost you alittle - it may cost you alot . . it's just gonna cost you . . *by you - meaning everyone*~ . . .I just discovered today - that those is the state of Maryland - ther are 9 counties that are PAYING a RAINWATER tax . . they are taxed by the square foot of their roof and driveway . .
WHAT THE HEY . . since when did rainwater become taxable? . . .
the chosen one in DC *not my choice*~ - has soooo many executive orders signed and many many many peeps don't - either know of - heard of - know about or dn't care to know about it all -- . . these executive orders are done when peeps are worried about other happening in the world . . .
how many peeps know - there was an executive order to shut down your cell phone - turn off your internet - or turn off the lights - at the flips of a switch? . . IF Marshall Law was ever to go into effect . . oh yes - that executive order was sign also . . giving the chosen one the power to do so . .

one of my motto's --- WAKE UP peeps -- don't drink the Kool Aid

OH WAIT this was DEE's rant . . I could rant right there with you DEE . .. .

Musical_Starling
April 18th, 2013, 12:17 AM
-- Dee . . I totally understand your RANT . . it all comes down to -- nothing remains the same . . it may cost you alittle - it may cost you alot . . it's just gonna cost you . . *by you - meaning everyone*~ . . .I just discovered today - that those is the state of Maryland - ther are 9 counties that are PAYING a RAINWATER tax . . they are taxed by the square foot of their roof and driveway . .
WHAT THE HEY . . since when did rainwater become taxable? . . .
the chosen one in DC *not my choice*~ - has soooo many executive orders signed and many many many peeps don't - either know of - heard of - know about or dn't care to know about it all -- . . these executive orders are done when peeps are worried about other happening in the world . . .
how many peeps know - there was an executive order to shut down your cell phone - turn off your internet - or turn off the lights - at the flips of a switch? . . IF Marshall Law was ever to go into effect . . oh yes - that executive order was sign also . . giving the chosen one the power to do so . .

one of my motto's --- WAKE UP peeps -- don't drink the Kool Aid

OH WAIT this was DEE's rant . . I could rant right there with you DEE . .. .

A rainwater tax? Alright, I think I've heard it all. I thought our 911-tax was going to be bad because they already charge us 911 fees for cell phones, but now every phone in the province will have to pay a 911 fee. So our house with a land line and two cell phones (and only two people) will pay three lots of tax so we can have 911 service in every little nook and cranny of our province. We already have 911 in the major centers, and the nooks and crannies can call the fire chief/police officer/ambulance driver in their area at home because they probably play bingo with his wife, so they don't really need 911 either lol Alright for visitors to our province if they get in an accident, but THEY'RE NOT THE ONES FOOTING THE BILL! :icon_angry:

Just don't get too political on me, I don't wanna get in trouble for starting a whole politics debate because that was NOT my intention! lol

CountryHut
April 18th, 2013, 12:25 AM
LOL*~ . . aaaaaw the landline fee . . I rememeber paying less than 25.00 a month for a phone line and getting a package deal on 3 phone installed . . . NOW over 75.00 a month . . at least 35% of it is taxes . . . how about paying . . portability fee and a connectivity fee . . the portability fee -- is so you can take your phone number with you . . *buzzer*~ wrong answer -- If I move to another area code area -- I can't take my landline number with me . . and the connectivity fee - is to help pay the phone company for the bills that didnt' get pay those who chose not to pay their bill . . . . . but local tax 9-11 tax - *we pay twice for that*~ . . one for police and one for fire . . *smacking forehead*~ . .
but have to BEG the county to condemn a house that is causing our homeowners insurance to go up -- because the house is a fire and hurricane hazard . . . . well finally the place is almost torn down . . they have until tomorrow to finish up or be fined 250.00 a day by the county for clean up . .

CountryHut
April 18th, 2013, 12:27 AM
OK . . where is the RANT and RAGE forum . . so we really can vent .. *LOL*~

Musical_Starling
April 18th, 2013, 12:33 AM
LOL*~ . . aaaaaw the landline fee . . I rememeber paying less than 25.00 a month for a phone line and getting a package deal on 3 phone installed . . . NOW over 75.00 a month . . at least 35% of it is taxes . . . how about paying . . portability fee and a connectivity fee . . the portability fee -- is so you can take your phone number with you . . *buzzer*~ wrong answer -- If I move to another area code area -- I can't take my landline number with me . . and the connectivity fee - is to help pay the phone company for the bills that didnt' get pay those who chose not to pay their bill . . . . . but local tax 9-11 tax - *we pay twice for that*~ . . one for police and one for fire . . *smacking forehead*~ . .
but have to BEG the county to condemn a house that is causing our homeowners insurance to go up -- because the house is a fire and hurricane hazard . . . . well finally the place is almost torn down . . they have until tomorrow to finish up or be fined 250.00 a day by the county for clean up . .

OK . . where is the RANT and RAGE forum . . so we really can vent .. *LOL*~

Where in the heck do they come up with all of these dumb fees? I mean, really! Here in Canada we have a mobile company called Koodo and they're not too bad with the extra fees and their plans are pretty reasonable so that's the company we are using for our cell phones, but for land lines we're stuck with Bell (yuck) or Rogers (double yuck) so Bell is the lesser of two evils. I'm still paying about $150 a month for a home phone and internet, then another $90 for Bell satellite TV. Same company (technically) but the phone and internet are Bell-Aliant and the TV is Bell, so we get two separate phone bills, two separate lots of taxes. Argh.

On that note I'm going to bed because if I get started on dumb fees and add-ons I'm never calming down enough to get to sleep lol Thanks for letting me rant ladies, I feel a little better at least and now I can listen to The Giant rant without gritting my teeth the whole time. I just got a root canal on Monday, I don't want to mess that baby up! :icon_giggle:

dwil23
April 18th, 2013, 12:34 AM

DITTO! And the sad thing is some of the auto companies weren't even here - one was in Finland, and some of the ones that were here are moving most of their operations away. And don't even get me started on Solyndra and the likes.

<<<Deep breath>>>

Sew Perfect
April 18th, 2013, 12:47 AM

Yep and I hurt my ankle pretty bad over a week ago but becausecof the cost of medical changing, I eouldn't go to the hospital. We have Insurance, but now it is pretty worthless.

Monique
April 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Dee, in Quebec we have Marois. Could it get any worse?

Cat n bull
April 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Rant away!

Here if you need me.

And before Obama Bush gave bailout money to the banks, who gave it as bonuses to their executives. Nice to get a FAT bonus paid by taxpayers as compensation for failing miserably at your job.

Sew Perfect
April 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
And before Obama Bush gave bailout money to the banks, who gave it as bonuses to their executives. Nice to get a FAT bonus paid by taxpayers as compensation for failing miserably at your job.

I wish I could get a bailout check.