PDA

View Full Version : Batering

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'm in a barter situation right now. Not used to it so I wouldn't be asking.

I have a yard worker right now. He is a hard worker, really nice kid, 23. So I have a car my dd's old one that I paid for. We sort of set a deal for six months of yard work for the car $1500.

Did I make a mistake?

I didn't have my reading glasses on when I wrote the title. lol

K. McEuen
April 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
How much do you normally pay for yard work there? Did you draw up some sort of contract? Does he take ownership of the car now or at the end of 6 months? If he gets it now make sure it's registered in his name and he is responsible for insurance, etc. You don't want it coming back at you if he's in a wreck. Otherwise, if you get something you need for something you aren't using, I wouldn't consider it a mistake.

rochellejay
April 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM
If he is only mowing then yes you made a bad deal! If he mowed once a week for 6 months (most yards don't need a weekly mow) that's a little over $60 a week. So I hope you got him doing some landscaping, trimming, edging, weeding, pruning, etc. More than just a mow! Have him clean the gutters and what not to help make up the difference!

jsmetcalf
April 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I'm all about bartering. My two baby goats were born a few days ago and I traded used gutters that the goat owner needed for the babies. I think when you can barter it makes sense given today's economy. What makes bartering work is that it is beneficial for both parties. I guess my question would be how much time are you asking for in exchange for the $1500? If he only has to work for 4 hours on a Saturday for 6 months, that's about 96 hours worth of time; works out to about 15.62/hour. Is that a fair wage for what you are asking him to do? Is he cleaning up leaves and pulling weeds or is he doing a complete landscaping job, putting up a stone wall, and installing a pool. (If that is what he is doing, send him my way when he's done with yours - I'm sure I can find something worth $1500 to trade him!! :) Good luck. Don't regret it - just make sure it's mutually beneficial.

Musical_Starling
April 17th, 2013, 06:51 PM
If 6 months of yard work cost me $1500, I'd have to cry lol BUT, I live in Newfoundland where we have a VERY short growing season, I only have grass and two skinny trees to care for (young maples) and I live on a lot that's 50'x100' and my house takes up 1000 sq.ft of that, then I have a 3 car driveway lol So $1500 for six months of mowing 10 mins worth of grass for ME would not be worth it lol But considering you are in Hawaii, I'm sure you have a lot more grass/trees/flowers/weeds than I do and I'm sure you live on a much bigger lot than we are squeezed into here in the 'burbs lol So $250 a month for yard work is most likely worth it in your case :D

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
He has come three times so I do trust him. I had a long conversation about his smoking. My aunt just died from lung cancer. My dad from mouth cancer. I think I got through to him a little. I gave him some red vines and said use these instead of cigs.

STOP SMOKING!

Sorry just needed to get that out. :)

BMG Gran
April 17th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Considering the COL in HA, I think you made a good deal. What are red vines though?

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Brenda it's red licorice. Think twizzlers but a different brand.

I talked to my stepdd and she thought it was a great deal. This is a huge yard. Two acres. He's is only going to take care of the front. We actually have a creek which I haven't seen for 20 yrs. lol

The back half is more than I can pay for right now. I just want my garden back right now.

kensington
April 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I like the Barter system. It works for me when someone wants my services. Money is good too.

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM
It's not just mowing. He is going to trim palms and haul some junk away. Spray weed killer. Keep it up for the six months where I can handle it myself. I was gone for a year and no one touched it, so I came back to a jungle.

I'm going to write out a contract and have him sign it. He's a good kid but I want to cover myself too.

K. McEuen
April 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Tell him you will throw in a tank of gas if he will tame the chickens for you.

buckeyequilter
April 17th, 2013, 10:13 PM
If he is only mowing then yes you made a bad deal! If he mowed once a week for 6 months (most yards don't need a weekly mow) that's a little over $60 a week. So I hope you got him doing some landscaping, trimming, edging, weeding, pruning, etc. More than just a mow! Have him clean the gutters and what not to help make up the difference!

If I were to barter for mowing in exchange for a car...they would probably get they short end of the stick. Ours needs mowed, if we have a normal season, a couple times a week and it's 8 acres with a "steepish" river bank and trees to mow around.

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM
lol Karen. I actually fed them yesterday so I'm the culprit for that. I threw out a bunch of old cereal. Darn chicks are so cute! Then I put my bird feeder back up. My kitties are going a little crazy right now. lol

WendyI
April 17th, 2013, 10:37 PM
lol Karen. I actually fed them yesterday so I'm the culprit for that. I threw out a bunch of old cereal. Darn chicks are so cute! Then I put my bird feeder back up. My kitties are going a little crazy right now. lol

Ok..wait...what? Chickens? I clearly missed something here. LOL!

I think bartering is great but I always seem to lose out on the deal. I've done a few websites for people...well one and one in progress and I really won't EVER do that again! Websites are a total pain!

I think it's awesome that you are helping him figure out his first car! If he's a good kid, then I think you did just fine. I do think a contract and making sure ownership is properly transferred is a good idea though.

Mchelem
April 17th, 2013, 10:38 PM

where I live, we pay 20.00 for someone to mow our front and back yard....

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Wendy chicks have been traveling all over the forum. You didn't notice? lol

It's not his first car. He has a really nice work truck that hauls his riding mower on a trailer. He wanted a car that burned less gas. Sort of a go down to the store kind of car. He has a girlfriend and two girls. 1 1/2 and 4. He started young! I'm good with the deal now after I had time to settle it in my head.

WendyI
April 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Wendy chicks have been traveling all over the forum. You didn't notice? lol .

Wow..I AM clueless....I have NO idea what you are talkin about...although I do recall Handsome Ryan posting about a chicken coop??

It's not his first car. He has a really nice work truck that hauls his riding mower on a trailer. He wanted a car that burned less gas. Sort of a go down to the store kind of car. He has a girlfriend and two girls. 1 1/2 and 4. He started young! I'm good with the deal now after I had time to settle it in my head.

Well I'm glad...sounds like a very responsible guy for 23 wow! Having his first child at 19 and sticking around...good for him! And good for you for helpin him out. xox

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the love Wendy. I posted a chicks pic in my yard, and Sandy changed her avatar to a chicken. lol
I'll let you know how it goes. Oh another rhyme. lol

rebeccas-sewing
April 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Hearing your explanation of what he's going to do in your yard sounds like it's probably a good deal for both of you. As was mentioned regarding the car, just make sure you sign over the title and send in your portion so you release yourself of any liability. Obviously, the car goes to him at the end of the six months. Right now, I would write up a list of what I expected to have done in the yard during that six month period so there will be no surprises. I'd make sure he is okay with what you expect. Even though you've already made a deal you should still provide it to him in writing. It's the fair thing to do.

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I forgot to mention he is going to trim the hedges. They have to be chain sawed down. The last guy's made them all uneven. And it's about 1600 ft. . I could use the money to pay that darn taxes on my rental but I would have to pay this guy anyway too. The car did it's duty and it has some problems. I told him as is.

I'm going to make the list today and he is coming tomorrow. Sit down with a beer and sign a paper. :)

HdWench
April 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
That is so nice of you Lorie!!! Hey if you are happy and he keeps working (and you get to work on him quitting smoking :-) then it's a good deal for both!

Debbie

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Debbie:) and this has been one of the most discombobulated threads I ever did. lol