PDA

View Full Version : I had a I Love Lucy moment!

mom4him
April 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Ok, I have baked for years. I had a bakery in our home for about 5 yrs but then realized I was going to have to make some choices as it was growing and taking way more time than I was willing to give. Going BIG was not a desire so I closed it. That was about 15 yrs ago.

When we adopted our two youngest by the time our son was about 3 we realized there was problems much bigger than a strong will. Long story but we eventually went on what is called Specific Carb. Diet and saw great healing in our son. It was soooo much work and all the recipes I had perfected in my bakery were out the window as there are NO grains what so ever in this diet. Through trial and error, lots of error, I learned to back with nut flour and once again perfected recipes to feed my family. We followed this diet very strictly for 6 yrs. About 2 1/2 yrs ago I felt we needed to start exploring a bit more relaxed diet and see what would happen so we very slowly introduced a glutten free diet. Well I have been working since then to find cookie, cake, muffin, etc recipes and was successful. The only one that I could never find was a good bread recipe. I found one that had been recommended about 3 months ago but was a big coward. I really just didn't feel like I had the energy to put the time, energy and money into another batch only to throw it out because no one would eat it. Working with gluten free grain is so much different than working with wheat!

Finally Sat. I told myself I simply had to give it a try and keep trying until I could get it right. To by a small loaf of GF bread it anywhere from $5.50 and up so quite spendy. I made the batch and IT WAS WONDERFUL! This morning we ate the final 3 slices and I told myself,"Time to bake again. I don't want to do this several times a week! No problem, I will just double my recipe."

My mixer has an 8 qt. bowl so I really didn't think it would be a problem. I didn't seem like much in it on Sat. but. well. I......... had.... dough.......... rolling.... over.. the top........ You would not believe the mess. LOL I quick got my largest mixing bowl and started putting dough in it.(I still didn't have everything in the mixer bowl yet). Mixing back and forth, back and forth. Oh, it was a sit. As it looks not though I think I will have some nice bread despite my crazyness. I have 4 lg. loaves rising and 42 buns baking.

As I was trying to catch the dough as it was rolling over the side of my mixer bowl, all I could think of was the I Love Lucy show where she cooks macaroni and it is rolling out the apartment door. LOL I remember watching it as a girl and thinking, "Oh, for goodness sake, no one would do something that dense!"

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 08:13 PM
LOL! I can just imagine you doing that!

Care to share your bread dough recipe?

MartinaG
April 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM
When I got my stand mixer I had no idea how powerful it was. My first cake from that contraption literally exploded all over the oven. Let's just say there was a lot of laughter involved and of course - no desert. At least you get to keep your bread. I had to clean the oven. lol

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Oh, I can just picture this! I do silly stuff like this all of the time. Would love to have some of your recipes. My cousin has celiac, so has to eat gluten free. Would love to surprise her with something. :) Lisa

mom4him
April 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
LOL! I can just imagine you doing that!

Care to share your bread dough recipe?
Wendy, this is the link.
http://www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2013/01/low-fructose-sorghum-sandwich-bread.html
Sat. I increased the recipe 4 times. and used the sorghum flour. I am now out of that so today I used rice and it seems to be just fine. Let me know if you make it and what you think. Are you gluten free?

alliek
April 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I laughed when I read your story, I can picture it! Glad you now have all this bread and rolls from your recipe. Good thing you are an experienced baker!

mom4him
April 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Oh, I can just picture this! I do silly stuff like this all of the time. Would love to have some of your recipes. My cousin has celiac, so has to eat gluten free. Would love to surprise her with something. :) Lisa

Martina, I am going to have a bit to clean up also as my loaf pans ran over. UGH! Nothing to compare with my kitchen mess before the oven though. LOL

Mary Ruth
April 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I can understand the issue of a rising dough attack. It is just made for an I Love Lucy episode.

Many, many years ago as a young bride I asked a friend for a bread recipe that I could make for Thanksgiving. I wanted to really impress folks and I certainly did. I still haven't lived that episode down.

My friend gave me her recipe and plainly explained to me that I needed to cut it in half or better yet in fourths. This was the recipe that she used for functions at her church. (It was a BIG church, I might add.) Well a couple of weeks passed and it's now time to make the bread. I remember the bit about dividing the recipe but reversed the instruction. I doubled the recipe. I was savy enough to realize that I had a lot of flour and called my mother. She assured me that making bread would require more flour than just making biscuits. Bottom line: I had two sinks full of rising dough along with every pan I had. My friend (who was also my next door neighbor) came home and smelled yeast bread. She ventured to my door, explained to me what happened, and divided the mess up to share with neighbors. Everyone on the street had fresh baked rolls for Thanksgiving that year. Our whole neighborhood smelled like a bakery. I get messages, cards, and calls every year just before Thanksgiving to ask if I'm making enough bread for everyone.

mom4him
April 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Lisa, if you want to send me a pm with your email I will send you some other recipes.

mom4him
April 16th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I can understand the issue of a rising dough attack. It is just made for an I Love Lucy episode.

Many, many years ago as a young bride I asked a friend for a bread recipe that I could make for Thanksgiving. I wanted to really impress folks and I certainly did. I still haven't lived that episode down.

My friend gave me her recipe and plainly explained to me that I needed to cut it in half or better yet in fourths. This was the recipe that she used for functions at her church. (It was a BIG church, I might add.) Well a couple of weeks passed and it's now time to make the bread. I remember the bit about dividing the recipe but reversed the instruction. I doubled the recipe. I was savy enough to realize that I had a lot of flour and called my mother. She assured me that making bread would require more flour than just making biscuits. Bottom line: I had two sinks full of rising dough along with every pan I had. My friend (who was also my next door neighbor) came home and smelled yeast bread. She ventured to my door, explained to me what happened, and divided the mess up to share with neighbors. Everyone on the street had fresh baked rolls for Thanksgiving that year. Our whole neighborhood smelled like a bakery. I get messages, cards, and calls every year just before Thanksgiving to ask if I'm making enough bread for everyone.

How funny! At least you have the excuse of being inexperienced. LOL

Lisapc
April 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I hate it when that happens! At least you appreciate the humor in it.

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Lol, sounds like a funny moment for sure!

GuitarGramma
April 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
How funny! That really is an I Love Lucy moment.

And I know how it feels. One day, I drove up to a drive-through-it-yourself car wash. I rolled down the window to put in my pre-paid code and the auto car wash started and grabbed my front tires. This particular car would occasionally refuse to roll its windows back up. And with three inches left, it refused.

Water started spraying in those three inches. I held my played hands up to the window desperately trying to stave off the water. I grabbed a church bulletin and held it up. All the while, the auto car wash kept slowly pulling me through, pulling me through, water spraying with perfect aim at my open window. My mouth formed that perfect Lucy "O" because there is no other reaction available on earth.

I drove home, sopping wet. My DH took one look at me, and he had a perfect Ricky Ricardo reaction himself, waiting for me to do some 'splainin!

Ah, what's life if we can't laugh at ourselves!

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Wendy, this is the link.
http://www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2013/01/low-fructose-sorghum-sandwich-bread.html
Sat. I increased the recipe 4 times. and used the sorghum flour. I am now out of that so today I used rice and it seems to be just fine. Let me know if you make it and what you think. Are you gluten free?

Thank you for that. I am not gluten free but both my husband and myself have been experiencing IBS and I've had enough. I've been to hospital twice with the pain from it and had a colonoscopy (now THAT was a special treat!) and all they can tell me is IBS...which is really just a bull**** word for "we have no idea what's wrong with your bowels but you have annoyed them".

So I'm considering some glutten-free alternatives and want to start with bread since I am a bread-aholic.

BMG Gran
April 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM
So I guess you remember the episode with the 6ft loaf of bread coming out the oven door. We have all had our 'Lucy' moments at one time or another. Unless you're perfect, and I don't know anyone like that. LOL

shannonsaulter
April 16th, 2013, 11:54 PM
LOL there was also the episode where they went and trried to do things like old times and she did bread to and it went out of the oven all long ...lol...good ol shows!

Suzyq
April 17th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Now you got me started on my Favourite I Love Lucy shows....remember the one where her and Viv are trying to eat all the chocolates on the conveyor belt? Too funny! We still get to see her show on TV here... And I laugh as hard as I did when I first saw them!

mom4him
April 17th, 2013, 12:28 AM
How funny! That really is an I Love Lucy moment.

And I know how it feels. One day, I drove up to a drive-through-it-yourself car wash. I rolled down the window to put in my pre-paid code and the auto car wash started and grabbed my front tires. This particular car would occasionally refuse to roll its windows back up. And with three inches left, it refused.

Water started spraying in those three inches. I held my played hands up to the window desperately trying to stave off the water. I grabbed a church bulletin and held it up. All the while, the auto car wash kept slowly pulling me through, pulling me through, water spraying with perfect aim at my open window. My mouth formed that perfect Lucy "O" because there is no other reaction available on earth.

I drove home, sopping wet. My DH took one look at me, and he had a perfect Ricky Ricardo reaction himself, waiting for me to do some 'splainin!

Ah, what's life if we can't laugh at ourselves!

Oh, Toni, that is so funny! One of my worst night mares. LOL I have always hated those things.

mom4him
April 17th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thank you for that. I am not gluten free but both my husband and myself have been experiencing IBS and I've had enough. I've been to hospital twice with the pain from it and had a colonoscopy (now THAT was a special treat!) and all they can tell me is IBS...which is really just a bull**** word for "we have no idea what's wrong with your bowels but you have annoyed them".

So I'm considering some glutten-free alternatives and want to start with bread since I am a bread-aholic.

Well, you have a jump start. I have been buying GF bread once in a while but it is so expensive and my kids love it so a loaf last about long enough to get it in the house. We had some of the buns tonight with our hamburgers and they were sooooo good! I bought a couple different brands of hamburger buns and they were both so bad we just eat our burgers plain. My youngest asked if he could have a second bun and make a peanut butter and honey sandwich. I don't thing he has had one of those for over 8 yrs. I am excited, can you tell?
Enjoy!

mom4him
April 17th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Yup, Lucy really was funny. They simply don't do shows like that any more. Most of the new ones are so icky that we just don't watch.