PDA

View Full Version : Another book recommend....

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I was just visiting the Diana Gabaldon thread and thought of another series of books you all may enjoy.

The author is Jack Whyte...here is a link to his site:

http://www.camulod.com/arthuriancycle

The first book in the series and it's called Skystone. Now, if you don't like Arthurian legend then you won't like these books. And there really isn't a lot of romance. There's a lot of Roman military history but it's not mind numbing by any means and I'm a bit of a Roman history buff anyway so I was okay with it.

What is awesome about this series is the depth of the characters and how he is not afraid to have a main character die! BUT he replaces that character almost immediately with another that has just as much depth. You learn how Camulod could have come to be and how Merlyn the magician could really have existed as the sorcerer people thought he was.

I LOVE this series as much as the DG books. I re-read them fairly regularly (same as the DG books). If anyone else has read them I'd love to know! What is weird is that I did not find the same level of writing in the next series of books that he wrote and did not enjoy them at all.

Oh and I am also a huge lover of the Game of Thrones books!

MartinaG
April 16th, 2013, 08:24 PM
You actually have time to read?

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Haven't read those, will have to add them to my list. I read when I am putting off doing other things or when I don't feel good.... also a great way to get my mind to slow down so that I can go to sleep. :) Lisa

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM
You actually have time to read?

LOL!. Well admittedly...it's been a while since I read a really good book....been in a bit of a slump because I haven't found anything in quite a while that I truly enjoyed as much as DG and JW. So if anyone has a good recommend, I"m all ears!

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Have you read the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card? It is sci fi and fantasy, but very well written. He has also written some other series that are good (Alvin Maker and Pathfinder/Ruins).

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Room by Emma Donoghue is an awesome read!

Remember the store of Jaycee Dugard, kept in a room after being kidnapped and she had kids with her kidnapper? Same kind of storyline but its told from the 5 year old's perspective. I couldn't put it down and read it in a weekend.

Suzyq
April 17th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Just finished " Good Graces" by Lesley Kagen which is hilarious! Lots of fun, couldn't put it down. It's about two sisters growing up in Milwaukee and the antics they get themselves into. ..definitely a pick me up...of course, for mystery, the James Patterson books are great...

Madeforyouinma11
April 17th, 2013, 12:51 AM
I will have to show this to my husband. Definitely something he would read. I must have missed a post...who is DG.
Oh, we love Game of Thrones but haven't gotten to the books yet.
I was just visiting the Diana Gabaldon thread and thought of another series of books you all may enjoy.

The author is Jack Whyte...here is a link to his site:

http://www.camulod.com/arthuriancycle

The first book in the series and it's called Skystone. Now, if you don't like Arthurian legend then you won't like these books. And there really isn't a lot of romance. There's a lot of Roman military history but it's not mind numbing by any means and I'm a bit of a Roman history buff anyway so I was okay with it.

What is awesome about this series is the depth of the characters and how he is not afraid to have a main character die! BUT he replaces that character almost immediately with another that has just as much depth. You learn how Camulod could have come to be and how Merlyn the magician could really have existed as the sorcerer people thought he was.

I LOVE this series as much as the DG books. I re-read them fairly regularly (same as the DG books). If anyone else has read them I'd love to know! What is weird is that I did not find the same level of writing in the next series of books that he wrote and did not enjoy them at all.

Oh and I am also a huge lover of the Game of Thrones books!

Madeforyouinma11
April 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Oops sorry, just retread and seen her name. Hahaha. Will look her up to.

Lisapc
April 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM
One questions Wendy. Do you sleep?

aliaslaceygreen
April 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM
oh, thanks! This does sound Iike a good series!!

Iris Girl
April 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I read before bed it makes me sleepy .. sometimes I only get a sentence or 2 or a paragraph read and hubby will find me with the book on my chest , wakes me up asking if I have grown eyes there to read with...LOL. I have hundreds of books on my kindle will have to look into these

Roxanne
April 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Room by Emma Donoghue is an awesome read!

Remember the store of Jaycee Dugard, kept in a room after being kidnapped and she had kids with her kidnapper? Same kind of storyline but its told from the 5 year old's perspective. I couldn't put it down and read it in a weekend.
I am going to get this book for my kindle. It sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the recommendation!

Roxanne
April 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Ok, I just downloaded Room and also Outlander. Now, the decision is which one to read while hubby is away???