PDA

View Full Version : Thursday January 27

Blondie
January 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/angwbc/Good%20Morning/SA1186.jpg

Morning ladies
Running real late this morning. I am not used to sharing a bathroom in the mornings. School is on delay - icy roads again. I say once again, I am so over winter. Okay, no more whining this morning.
Other than work, not a whole lot going on.
Hoping that everyone has a wonderful day and enjoys some time sewing.

debi weaver
January 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Good morning, Blondie! Sharing the bathroom? Someone visiting or snow day changes the schedule?
Sorry about all the cold...but agree with you, Spring looks good! Cannot wait, but not complaining. We've had the snow, but lots of sunny days in between, making roads clear and dry. All is going well here, but my, oh, my...my list of "to do's" is so long!
May You have a blessed day in an awesome Presence! Debi

Sandy Navas
January 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Looking forward to today. My dear brother and wife, sister and hubby, are coming for lunch today. I have to get busy and put on a huge pot of homemade beef stew - serving with fresh green salad, homemade biscuits, and topping it off with GOOSEBERRY pie. Thank you Mar-Con.

That means, I don't make pies - but Mar-Con does - fairly local company that stocks some of the groceries around here.

Last night DH and I stretched the lap quilt that I'm making for his aunt. Having never used a quilting frame, it was stop and go for a while. We did learn that cooperation is ESSENTIAL, and stretching a quilt is a TWO-PARTY operation. But what a relief it will be to sit down and stitch . . . nothing today though.

Yesterday was a non-sewing day - chiropractor, hair salon, grocery shopping, grandkids to choir . . . I was BEAT. This old body just can't take all this fun and excitement. I really tried to beg out of taking the girls to choir - but finally gave in. After sitting there half an hour waiting for someone to show, a guy from another area came and told us the choir had been cancelled . . . about 9 parents/grandparents weren't too happy about that (me included). And Emily (6) who has been anxiously awaiting her first choir session, cried all the way home.

Quilters/sewers (PRONOUNCED SO-ERS, NOT SUE-ERS), either stitch or cook. I'm off to cook today.

quiltingtrish
January 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'm here with my coffee! Looks like we got about 4-5 inches so am walking in and back again today. They do clear the main roads, but it's these back ones I won't drive on. I do get offered rides, but if I'm already bundled up, I may as well keep walking and get my exercise in. DH says it is a wet snow so there's an inch hanging on top of everything - trees, bushes, etc. So pretty. But, like several of you, I've seen it - it's gorgeous, I'm ready to move on to Spring!

No news from Odie. We were lucky to get 2 letters in the past month. By reading the parent board, there are several of the guys who ended up with pneumonia. Those parents got phone calls. Luckily we haven't. Tomorrow is their 9 mile hike back to the base with full packs on. In fact, they have been wearing their full packs for the past month everytime they take a step. Would like to give him a hug and a good rub down.

Got a call from the dentist this morning asking me if I wanted to come in this morning since there is a 2 hour delay so I won't have to miss school next week for my cleaning. Uh - no. I hate the dentist so much even for a cleaning that I have to spend a week ahead of time talking myself into going. I make my kids go every 6 months so they need to see me go too. I take 2 advils an hour before my appointment time and get the earliest time possible. I read where your pain tolerance is highest earliest in the morning. Not that there is any pain or I have any troubles with my teeth, it's mostly state of mind. hehe.

Got my next wholecloth quilt block layered and started stitching on it last night. It's a holly wreath design on dark green with a pretty, silky, shiny, green thread. It's so pretty it keeps me going to get it finished.

Off to get my day started. The sun is out so the walk in should be chilly, but gorgeous. Have a great safe day out there in our Land of the Free!

Hugs,

patticakes
January 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Morning!

Thanks for the cuppa again this am Blondie. Sorry about the bathroom-sharing, anything that throws my morning schedule out of whack makes me feel like I forgot something all day!

Sandy - Gooseberry Pie!! Oh my that sounds just wonderful! Happy cooking, that's my second favorite hobby!

Trish, no news is good news. Is Odie feeling more positive these days? I sure hope so, I know he has been in many of our minds and prayers. Have a safe walk in...I have this picture of you bundled up like the brother in "A Christmas Story" that plays every holiday season. The one who falls over and can't get up. LOL...sorry, I just do!

No sewing last night. BF has been in the doldrums over no work/jobs and therefore no cashola and right before we go on vacation, so I took him to KFC to cheer him up. Fast food chicken always works for him! He talked my ear off after being alone all day and I did not have the heart to leave him for my sewing machine.

Off to get some work done before the day officially starts!

Safe travels to all who have to go out today!

newbiequilter
January 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Lucky you, QuiltingTrish, ONLY 4-5 inches. Looks like 10 here on top of the one or two yesterday. Waiting for the plow guy. I've got a pot of coffee too, but when we have a big snow and I do some shoveling I reward myself with a cup of cocoa.

I guess we should all be making things with spring-like fabrics - flowers, yellows, greens, to keep remembering that it really will be spring again.

debinmalaga
January 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Good morning all! We got about 8 inches of snow in our part of New Jersey. Bank opening late because of it so I've had a nice morning at home with the dog, did a bit of snoozing in front of the morning news and some housework, cut out a few squares for a table runner.

Trish, your project sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see it!

Quilters guild cancelled again last night due to weather... hopefully February will be better. I'm so nervous about going by myself that it kind of stinks to get myself all geared up to go - and then have Mother Nature intervene.

janluna
January 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Good morning everyone. No extra snow here, thank goodness. We are supposed to get hit Saturday and Sunday. No big deal though. Blondie I hate having my morning screwed up makes me feel like nothing is going right.
Well, ladies, I got my blades all cut out, now just need the rest of my 1/4" circles and I'll be ready to sew!!! YAY. Sewing I can handle, it doesn't hurt me to sew. Just the cutting does that. But I must admit that doing all the cutting myself makes me feel proud of myself. My friend Dawn helped me get my 10 x 10 blocks done. She showed me how and I did all the cutting. So I learned what she taught me and accomplished the job and did it right! Do I hear another YAY? She is so good to me. I will finish my blocks in time to ship them. I was so afraid I would hold everyone up and now I'm confident that I won't. This will be the first thing that I actually finished in a goodly amount of time. Now I can't wait to finish the quilt or wall hanging I plan on making. If my son will upload my photos for me I'll show you what I did.
Trish Odie will write soon, he will finish in good standing, I'm sure. Your whole cloth quilt sounds so pretty. What is the pattern that you are quilting? I love working on that. Of course mine is simple I got the tulip one so I couldn't goof it up.
Maybe! LOL
Sandy, you did invite me to lunch didn't you? I was sure that you did. Yum it sounds really good. I haven't made stew in forever. It's such a good cold weather dish. I love making biscuits to go with it. mmm hot biscuits with melting butter on them and a touch of honey. A girl can dream. I'm trying to be good about not eating biscuits with honey and anything else that is fattening. It's a never ending battle.
Well guys, I know spring is about 7 weeks away and that is good but I remember that February is the longest shortest month of the year. It always seems to drag its feet. Well have a good day all I'll be sewing later today and can't wait to get it all finished and in the mail. love and prayers for all, Hugs, Jan L

Keepstitchin
January 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Good morning Quilty Friends!

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and good wishes, it is very comforting to know how much everyone cares and how supportive everyone here is. :icon_hug:

It is very very foggy here this morning, I think I have only heard one plane take off, so the airport must be a mess, oh wait, there is one now....I am praying for an early spring for all of us this year!

Lots of studying to do today, and a test to take, no stitching in sight...I hope to get some stitching in this weekend.

I wish all of you a warm and safe day!!

sewsoft
January 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hello Ladies:icon_wave:

toggpine
January 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Morning All!
So sorry to hear about all of your winter weather troubles out east! Ugh! You guys are getting slammed. It will make spring all the more enjoyable when it does arrive.
Laurie is correct. We are fogged in here today. I like the way it looks drifting through the trees. The sun is supposed to be out strong enough to burn it off later.
I've been trying to get two more of the Funky Friends stuffed toys done. The are needed by the 1st for a gift for twin baby boys. No sewing until tonight. It is speech therapy day x 2, and I'm snack mom in pre-school class today, then I have to get the barn cleaned out so I can bring in a fresh load of hay. (Thank God I found some this late in the season. Who knew he answered prayers about hay?!?)
Gotta run, or I'm gonna be behind before I ever get started! You gals have a great day and take care of yourselves!
Cathy

janluna
January 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Cathy He answers prayers about everything, even if he says no. He still answers. I'm glad you got your hay and I'm sure your animals are too. Nothing like a warm fresh bed! LOL Love ya, Jan

NM Lady
January 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Good morning everyone! Have a blessed day.

roseytoes
January 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm new here so I hope I can join you. We woke up to 16 inches of snow! I watched as DH & DS
cleared off the driveway. Of course the snowblower had to go and break, nothing major though,just the shoot. No, I didn't help:icon_bigsmile: I plan on doing some sewing later this afternoon. I'm doing Barbara Brackman's Civil War block of the week. I am 2 behind so I'd better catch up. Have a good rest of the day:icon_wave:

bakermom
January 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
We just got a light dusting overnight. Just enough I had to clean the windsheild to drive. we're supposed to get several more inches tomorrow though. today's the day I grocery shop for my mom and get her dinner so i won't get to do much else. hope to sneak off upstairs and sew a bit before it's time to go.

Blondie
January 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/Snapesita/PANDA%20MANIA/yequetal.jpg

Good Afternoon Ladies!
Done with hair for the day and now gonna get started on the shake and rattle of the pots and pans. Making Chicken Riggies tonite. Yum.

Glad you popped in Rosie! I am also working on BB's Cival War Blocks. I have made the three of them already but am not satisfied with the second one -(Catch me if you can?). It was not going together right for me. Will try to make another one to get it right!

Sandy, love the lunch - sounds yummy and you always have nice company too!

Trish, glad that you haven't heard bad news - isn't no news good news? Glad that the snow mostly missed us yesterday. We had lots of rain and then the snow came down fast and furious and covered the ground. Biggest snow flakes I have seen I think! Didn't last on the ground but the black ice this morning is now gone. The sun is shining, it is a balmy 40 degrees and I am definitely thinking spring! During the snow shower yesterday we had a LOT of thunder. I don't know about y'all but the old folks round here say that if you hear thunder in the winter there is going to be more weather in a week or less . . .

Cathy, isn't the Lord amazing? He meets our needs before we even ask. Big smiles here for that.

Jan, glad you got your blocks worked on. You are blessed with a good friend.

Off to start the dinner. It is easy enough, just takes some time to prepare.

Check in later.

Blondie

toggpine
January 27th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Jan, It would be one thing if it were bedding straw, as we could use shavings or even bedding pellets that look a lot like wood stove pellets. This is the stuff they eat. We usually have it all put up no later than September. With our weird and wet summer weather the second cutting that we were counting on for the last 300 bales, just didn't get cut. The farmer needs 3 to 5 days of dry weather between 70 & 90 degrees for optimum hay quality. By the time the grass was high enough to cut, we didn't have the temps for it. I am so thankful that I was able to find some decent stuff and the price is the best I have seen it. So I am thankful. I guess the Lord doesn't want his animals to go hungry either! I was starting to really worry. The hay pile was getting really slim. I guess this is another lesson in patience and his time versus mine.
I am glad to see that so many of you are getting some sewing done. I drug a bit of cross stitch with me to the morning's therapy appt. My daughter does better if I walk her to the room, and then wait out in the little alcove by the elevators. I finally remembered something to do with my hands instead of looking at the old magazines that I recycled there weeks ago! I am going to have to make a "travel pocket" for the hand work. Another thing on the "to do" list!
Well, I was just popping in to see how everybody's day was going. I am picking up the snacks and heading back to pre-school. I love to be in class with the kids. Today we are having pretzel thins (they look like somebody ironed a pretzel flat), string cheese, juice, and maybe some M&Ms.
:icon_popcorn:
You ladies have a GREAT day!
Cathy

quiltingtrish
January 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I'm back home and warming up my toes :)
Not much going on tonight so think I will get some french toast and bacon made for dinner, then work on the February calendar and bulletins for Sunday.

I'll be around if anyone needs anything!

Hugs,

janluna
January 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Cathy can you tell I don't have horses??lol I thought they used hay but I guess they eat hay and sleep on straw right. And they eat oats and apples and carrots. I used to ride in California. My Aunt owned horses, but its been a long time since I helped take care of them and I forgot. Sorry. The blessing is bigger then isn't it. Straw is important but hay is essential! Hugs, Jan

sally
January 27th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hey gang...I am away for work purposses but hoep to head home tonight although it is probably going to be late. i have tomorrow off and have a bunch of running around before my DH and I leave on our big trip. Jan I hope the snow holds off as we are flying east to Toronto and then....wait for it...THE BAHAMAS. We have been saving for years for this and I never said anything earlier in fear of jinxing it...I am knocking on wood right now. Now I just want to get home safely, catch up on my sleep so I don't catch a cold.

middlesis1966
January 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Oh Shauna you lucky duck. I bet the gal here who live on the East coast would love to stow away in your bags right now.
I hope you all take care in this snowy weather right now. I havent seen this much snow for a very long time. Stay safe all.
Well Im off to do as little as possible. I got my port put in so I have to take it easy today. Is not like Ive done much anyway, lol. I think I will move from one side of the couch to the other side just to mix things up a bit, lol.
Happy sewing all!

mamaquilt
January 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone of you,

Instead of reading a book, I looked in on the forum. It is really interesting for me to follow all the comments, blessings, teaching, cheering up etc. in English.

Today I did not sew very much, as the weather here in Luxembourg was pretty good in the morning. We did go to the Fitness Center and had a nice aquagym lesson in the outside swimmingpool, although is was only +1 degree, which is just above freezing. Don't know in Fahrenheit.

Yesterday I saw the first daffodils coming out, they were about 2 inches high already. So don't worry spring is coming; but there is still some snow in the air.

Now I better get to bed and quit quilters forums altogether.

Have a good night and God bless:icon_wave:

quiltingtrish
January 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
The first mention of spring flowers popping through the ground! Did you all hear that? Awesome!

Hugs,

Keepstitchin
January 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Lucky girl Shauna!! Have an awesome trip!!

Sandy Navas
January 28th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Hey gang...I am away for work purposses but hoep to head home tonight although it is probably going to be late. i have tomorrow off and have a bunch of running around before my DH and I leave on our big trip. Jan I hope the snow holds off as we are flying east to Toronto and then....wait for it...THE BAHAMAS. We have been saving for years for this and I never said anything earlier in fear of jinxing it...I am knocking on wood right now. Now I just want to get home safely, catch up on my sleep so I don't catch a cold.

How wonderful. I've been dreaming of warm sunny beaches all day long. Enjoy for each of your friends here - THE BAHAMAS! Dream vacation.

craftyladysam
January 28th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Congrats on the trip! Nows the time to go. Get away from the cold and snow! Be safe and have fun!
I got a call to come in to work at the preschool and all we got was rain yesterday but when I tried to open the car door it wouldn't open! I tried locking and unlocking and then finally realized the doors were frozen shut! Got in the car and wouldn't you know it the windshield was covered with ice! Late? Noooo not me! I'm ready for spring!!! Weatherman says maybe in the 50's Saturday! Yeah!!! Glad to to see all yous on here! LOL:icon_wave: Got half my black and white blocks done! Wheee! See you later sweet potatas, Sam

janluna
January 28th, 2011, 01:31 AM
YAY Shauna, Have a super good trip! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your trip of a lifetime.
God Bless you. Love you, Jan :icon_woohoo:

toggpine
January 28th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Mamaquilt - Glad to have you here on the forum! I can just imagine how much fun you are having trying to translate some of our comments! I'd offer my German, but I haven't used it since high school, and after 20 years it probably sounds horrible!

Shauna - Have fun & get some sun on those wonderful beaches for us! We will be looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Safe Travels!

Well gals, I got the barn all cleaned out and ready for the hay tomorrow. I've got the young'un in the tub, & will hit the shower myself after she is out. I'd go now, but Daddy is sacked out on the couch and wouldn't hear her if she needed him.
Have a good night & I'll talk you tomorrow!
Cathy

rebeccas-sewing
January 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I'm new here so I hope I can join you. We woke up to 16 inches of snow! I watched as DH & DS
cleared off the driveway. Of course the snowblower had to go and break, nothing major though,just the shoot. No, I didn't help:icon_bigsmile: I plan on doing some sewing later this afternoon. I'm doing Barbara Brackman's Civil War block of the week. I am 2 behind so I'd better catch up. Have a good rest of the day:icon_wave:

Hi,

I noticed you're from Downingtown, PA. My parents lived in Parkesburg approx. 1964-1992. I'm a 69er from Octorara High. Small world, isn't it? I remember some wonderful snowstorms growing up there. Sixteen inches is a boat load of snow. Stay warm!!!!

debinmalaga
January 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Shauna, have a wonderful time in the sun!! Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back.

Paula, your trip to the other side of the couch sounds good, too! Hang in there!

Alexander
July 11th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I take 2 advils an hour before my consultation some time to get at the first try possible. I read where your pain threshold is maximum very first in the morning.