PDA

View Full Version : Sick day.

kensington
April 15th, 2013, 09:29 PM
What a bad day. I woke up this morning around 3 or so, not feeling good at all, not able to get back to sleep. And around 5 I started tossing my cookies. (I hate throwing up). Then the chills and shakes really bad. It went on for hours and hours, aching all over, shakes, tossing cookies. DH came home from work at lunch to be with me.

Our grandson was here this weekend, and the first night, he woke up throwing up in the night. The next day his mom told us that his brother had been sent home from work on Wed, not feeling good and he was throwing up. So.. it stands to reason, the bug came in with the kids.

Now I am worried my dh or other grandkids will get it. I haven't eaten anything today, my stomach is still very queasy, and I'm so tired. I guess I will go back to bed now for a while. Ugh... I just hate throwing up.

Lisapc
April 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I really hope you feel better. Kids are germ factories and it always seems to get the adults harder!

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Ha, you sound like me. I hate barfing.

Coke, not Pepsi, not RC, not any off brand, but actual Coca Cola has an ingredient in it that helps calm nausea. I used to remember which one it was, but it escapes me now. It was a lifesaver when I did before and after school Campfire with the kids. And it does not have to be flat Coke. Sip it, don't gulp it. Soda crackers are usually a good thing to nibble on to kill the acid of an empty stomach as well.

Once you feel like trying something a bit more substantial remember the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Fairly bland and sits well on a quivery tummy.

kensington
April 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM

Coke, not Pepsi, not RC, not any off brand, but actual Coca Cola has an ingredient in it that helps calm nausea. I used to remember which one it was, but it escapes me now. It was a lifesaver when I did before and after school Campfire with the kids. And it does not have to be flat Coke. Sip it, don't gulp it. Soda crackers are usually a good thing to nibble on to kill the acid of an empty stomach as well.

Once you feel like trying something a bit more substantial remember the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Fairly bland and sits well on a quivery tummy.

Thumbs up to this post. Thanks. I may ask dh to go get some coke. I've had shaved ice twice today, my mouth has been sooooo dry. To scared to take anything else. DH has offered bananas. I remember the kids pediatrician tell me about that BRAT diet when they were little.

kensington
April 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I really hope you feel better. Kids are germ factories and it always seems to get the adults harder!

Ain't that the truth. I always get the bug last, and I get it the worse. ugh...

Suzyq
April 15th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Kensie, take care of yourself.... We've all been there .... Do take clear fluids as you have to replace the ones you've lost, otherwise you'll dehydrate....rest and be kind to yourself...

Musical_Starling
April 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's funny that you say you hate "tossing your cookies" because my Dad got sick back just before Easter and he woke up at 2AM and had to make a run for it and the whole day he was so pitiful, even after taking Gravol, and my Mom was making fun of him because he HATES throwing up and it's like the world is going to end when it happens lol So as she's telling me the story and laughing at how "silly" my Dad is I pipe in with "Thanks Mudder, because I'm the EXACT SAME WAY!" and then she proceeds to make fun of me too and tell me I always was a wuss... :icon_bah:

Granny Judy
April 15th, 2013, 10:25 PM
If you continue to "toss cookies".. try some HOT TEA with honey.. only take a couple teaspoons every 10-15 minutes. It helps to have something that will come up.. and NOT having the dry heaves.

Loonwatcher
April 15th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I sure hope you are feeling better soon. Although you can't stomach eating, try to get some fluids in so you don't dehydrate. I'll be sending all my good thoughts your way.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 15th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Poor baby, it is miserable to have that sickness. Get better soon!

auntiemern
April 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Ematrol and Pedialite.

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Rest and fluids - even if it is just a sip every so often, don't want to get dehydrated! Sorry the grandkids brought germs along for their visit.

lilmouse
April 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I have been queasy all day....only had one cup of coffee and I live on the stuff....today I sipped on warm Sprite with lime in it...didn't toss my cookies but I didn't eat either just in case.....liquid is much easier to deal with at that time...and I plan on going to bed just as soon as I am caught up on the forum! Sorry you are so sick and hope you feel better soon!

bhaggerty
April 16th, 2013, 12:11 AM

The magic ingredient is real ginger - and you are better off just using Canada Dry Ginger Ale

Bubby
April 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Things like this have to run their course...feel better soon. I eat crystalized ginger when I have tummy troubles.

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM
It sucks having the flu...feel better soon!

kensington
April 16th, 2013, 01:33 AM
My hubby made me some Ramien Noodle soup. It was so good on my empty stomach, I managed to eat it and it has stayed down. I think the worst is over.

But, what happens when you leave men to fend for themselves? He made him some Noodle soup too, and put a can of tuna in it. I thought the smell would make me toss, I had to ask him to leave the room with it. He really thought he had cooked himself something up. YUCK!

I still am very cold, the aches and shakes are hanging on, but the rest seems to have tapered off. Now, I am just praying he doesn't get sick. Cause the only thing I hate worse then tossing my cookies, is dealing with someone else who is tossing their cookies. I'm one of those people that if I see you throw up, I throw up. Such a wimp. LOL.

Lisapc
April 16th, 2013, 01:49 AM
This is kind of mean but I have to tell you anyway.

When my hubby was going through chemo he one time ran down the stairs to head to the bathroom to throw up. I don't know how he made it down the stairs without falling because he was so weak at the time. Anyway, he ran into the kitchen and realized he couldn't make it to the bathroom. He threw up all over the clean dishes drying in the dish rack and the dirty dishes in the sink I was about to wash.

I got to wash them all, and then again and again and again because I was so grossed out! It didn't smell like vomit it was a nasty chemical smell which was the chemo. I actually had to throw out my sons sippy cups because of the possible exposure. It was gross!

I hope you could laugh at that. I am laughing while thinking of it and at the time I just cried my way through it.

kensington
April 16th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Oh... that is gross Lisa. So gross. Your poor husband. Still gross.

Iris Girl
April 16th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I always did gingerale and dry toast when my tummy gets queezy

rebeccas-sewing
April 16th, 2013, 06:03 AM
What's even better than coke is coke syrup. I think they still sell it. Call your pharmacy. My mom always gave us coke syrup when we were kids. It really helps. I hope you feel better soon. Vomiting is no fun, that's for sure! The following link actually says do not drink carbonated beverages to reduce vomiting.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Vomiting

nana margaret
April 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Hope you feel better soon and it's just one of those 24hour bugs. My husband and I, son, daughter in law and our little grandson all had the same thing a few weeks ago, it's horrible but short-lived, I hope yours is too.

Wwena
April 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I hope you feel better soon! Many of these bugs are horrible but you feel much better after a day or two. Try and drink small sips of rehydration drinks as often as you can manage.

CrazyMtnLady
April 16th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Hope you are feeling better today. I like drinking ginger ale when I am not feeling well.
Get well soon.

SallyO'Sews
April 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Kensington, I'm sorry you were so ill, and hope you're better by now.

Looking at all these posts, I'm thinking Wow - 'tis the season to be queasin'! England, Wisconsin, Missouri... even here in Connecticut! My 16-year-old babysat a little girl on Friday p.m. whose mom informed us just 1/2 an hour before I dropped her off that the little one had been vomiting all afternoon. So of course my daughter was "iffy" all day Saturday & stayed home from church on Sunday. :(

Think I'll go wash my hands... :0

Lisapc
April 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM
There is no escape from this type of virus. I think gingerale with a spoonful of sugar to neutrilize the bubbles works great!

kensington
April 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Well, I passed out last night sometime around 2 am. And was just GONE until this afternoon. I have not slept that hard in a long time. I'm a light sleeper, getting up mulitple times in the night to potty or get a drink. Not last night... just OUT.

Dh worked today, but came home not feeling good. He has been holding on all afternoon. Now in bed asleep wrapped up in blankets. He wanted no dinner. I have offered him soup, but we shall see how the evening progresses on. Poor daddy... I hate when he is sick.

I appreciate the support and all the tips on nausea and upset stomachs. You all are great!