PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how much fabric I could buy?

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2013, 08:07 PM
With the money I just sent to the federal and state for taxes?

A little game I play sometimes ... take a certain amount of money, say $100,000.00 or whatever you decide on and plan a dream vacation on Yahoo Travel or buy something that you'd never buy otherwise because it's not a necessity. It's all make believe money, but it's a fun waste of time.

Well, I just finished my taxes. Yes, I waited until the last day.

So, I decided to see what the amount I sent in would buy me at MSQC. I looked in the "just in precuts" category.

I never got past this one. I'll take 8 please. Maybe I can find a couple layer cakes too.

http://missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/11592

Madeforyouinma11
April 15th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Very pretty! We did ours as soon as we could...did really well and got money back..unfortunately most of it went to bills and the little bit I had tucked away the dog used when he decided to head butt a car....lol. Oh well, easy come easy go..:)

Lisapc
April 15th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Well, you certainly chose a beautiful fabric. Too bad about the taxes. It is offensive. Why is it the working folk who are not millionaires have to pay the most? I do what you do in a different way. I add up what we pay at tax time and what we pay throughout the year and after 10 yrs we could build an addition 1/3 the size of our home. Next year I am sure it will get even bigger.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
That is reallypretty faric! Go crazy, girl!

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2013, 08:19 PM
That is reallypretty faric! Go crazy, girl!

Haha, crazy would have been ordering that fabric and not sending the checks to the IRS. I know with my luck they'd be knocking on my door in a week. Yet I know people that owe them thousands and haven't bothered to pay taxes in years.

I feel like I'm bad for waiting until the 15th.

WendyI
April 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
ooooooo!! Those are REALLY NICE!! Good thing you sent the cheque BEFORE you looked!

Bubby
April 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM
We never get a refund...it's always a matter of how much we have to send each year.

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM
We never get a refund...it's always a matter of how much we have to send each year.

I used to have my taxes done before the end of January. Then one year I did them and had to pay $100.00. I was so mad that I've put it off ever since. I've pretty much had to pay ever since too. Last year we got a refund, but that was only because I sent too much in on estimated taxes. This year I didn't send as much and had to pay now. Can't seem to get it just right.

auntiemern
April 15th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a fun little game. With the $ we have paid in over the years, I could have bought my DD a very nice house with plenty of room for the GK's to burn off some of their energy. Me, I don't want anything bigger. That would just mean more to keep clean.

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Would much rather send them a check at this time of year, rather than giving them even more of my hard earned money and waiting on them to refund it to me. Don't want to think about how much fabric it would buy or I might not mail them the check.....lol :)

Sandy Navas
April 15th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Haha, crazy would have been ordering that fabric and not sending the checks to the IRS. I know with my luck they'd be knocking on my door in a week. Yet I know people that owe them thousands and haven't bothered to pay taxes in years.

In my state we call those congress members!!!!!!!!!!

K. McEuen
April 16th, 2013, 01:01 AM
In my state we call those congress members!!!!!!!!!!

I think that is on the list of requirements, isn't it?

Mchelem
April 16th, 2013, 02:58 AM

We wait until the last minute every year. In fact, I filed an extension this year! GASP! Lol

dwil23
April 16th, 2013, 03:31 AM

If you're bad, I'm right there with you. I NEVER send them a dime until the last minute. Yes, I sure could have had fun with that money shopping for fabric.

K. McEuen
April 16th, 2013, 03:58 AM
We wait until the last minute every year. In fact, I filed an extension this year! GASP! Lol

The bad thing about filing an extension, if you owe them you'll have to pay interest for those months. And you know they get a better rate than we do at the bank.

grammakim04
April 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM
What even bites worse is when you work for the Income Tax Dept and you have to pay taxes, seemed to hurt twice as bad :( (not anymore...I'm retired now) in Canada anyways. I worked in the good area though...I helped people resolve their problems, actually really enjoyed my job, did it for over 20 yrs.

Lady T
April 16th, 2013, 12:03 PM
We always pay in every year. We figure it that way.
Why give the IRS 'extra' money so they can just hand it back at the end of the year? When WE can have it in our paycheck, deposit it in bank and earn interest on it....The IRS isn't paying any interest.

MartinaG
April 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hubby got a payout of a retirement account last year. He decided to take care of the taxes with this year's declaration. SURPRISE SURPRISE, it was enough to push us into the higher bracket and we paid through the nose. LOTS of jelly rolls worth. HEAVY SIGH!