PDA

View Full Version : Blondie and Trish

Tanya D
April 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I just wanted to let you know that Jamie Fraser belongs to me!!!! LOL

Nice to find some fans of Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander series.

Janet J
April 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Love Diana Gabaldon and the Outander series.

Tanya D
April 15th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I couldn't get thru the last book...An Echo in the Bone. I really should try again.

BarbaraN
April 15th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I love the series. I fish we didn't have to wait so long in between!

WendyI
April 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I loved the first three and re-read them often...but after that it just starts to get old. She needs a new Jamie.

Tanya D
April 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
In An Echo in the Bone, I lost interest once they got on the ship...more pirates, more sickness and it seemed to carry on forever.

The first 4 were awesome...A Fiery Cross was a hard read but I got thru it.

aliaslaceygreen
April 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Them be fightin' words, young lady!

aliaslaceygreen
April 15th, 2013, 04:25 PM
If you don't finish Echo, he CANNOT be yours!! :D
MOBY is gonna be out this year, can't wait... I have read all of them repeatedly--and have the audio books....

Tanya D
April 15th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Maybe if I listened to it on audio, I could get thru it. Is there a sexy scottish voice for Jamie? Oh to hear him call me Sassenach, just once...LOL

toggpine
April 15th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Trish is gonna wallop me for this one. I read the first few and kinda lost it after that. I think it was the long wait between that lost me.

Blondie
April 15th, 2013, 05:37 PM
HAHAHA
Let's just say when I read the first book, I told my Luscious Larry I was gonna start calling him Jamie . . to his credit, my man is all Scot
on both sides of the family and looks purty durn good in a kilt.
When first son was going to college in Boone, we attended many Highland Games. Now that is a treat!

PS - so, y'all keep Jamie, I has me Luscious One.

aliaslaceygreen
April 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM
LMAO Blondie... You have all seen MY husband in a kilt, right?? :D

I like big books and I can not lie....

I picked Outlander up because it was so big; it was a bonus that I only started reading them 10 years ago, so had a stockpile for a while...

Davina Porter reads the audio... but she does a very convincing Scottish guy, IMHO. They are great to listen to while quilting!

However, I have to have read a book before I do the audio, because with audio, my mind has a tendency to wander and I miss stuff.

Tanya D
April 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I read the first 4 right after having my daughter almost 13 years ago. I couldn't put them down, they were so good. Then it was some time before The Fiery Cross came out so I had to wait.

Funny tho, I judge a book by it's cover. A friend of mine gave me the books to read...I took one look at them and said, "Um no, that doesn't look like a book I'd enjoy, you can keep it." She insisted I take them and said to give it 50 pages before giving up. I believe Claire goes thru the stones right around page 50...and then we meet Jamie...sigh. I was hooked from then on.

Meli
April 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Can't. Wait. For. The. Next. One!!!! I will admit, though, that I'd be quite content to never have them get on another ship. In EitB, when there was another lengthy voyage -- with pirates -- I skimmed. Quickly. Either do something unique (though I think she's covered everything at this point) or just sum it up as "the crossing was blessedly uneventful" and be done with it.

Lissau
April 15th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Here l was thinking Jamie was mine

Lisapc
April 15th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I have no idea what you ladies are talking about. I do know that I have to find me one of these books!

aliaslaceygreen
April 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Can't. Wait. For. The. Next. One!!!! I will admit, though, that I'd be quite content to never have them get on another ship. In EitB, when there was another lengthy voyage -- with pirates -- I skimmed. Quickly. Either do something unique (though I think she's covered everything at this point) or just sum it up as "the crossing was blessedly uneventful" and be done with it.

LOL!! The Perils of Pauline, every time they go near water, no?? I can't skim...there are too many good details... but I DO hope they can avoid the ocean from now on...Can't see Claire, Ian or Lord John letting Jamie on another ship after this last time thinking he died!!!

Lissau
April 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Here ya go Lisa

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/

outlander
http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/outlander/

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM
How have I never heard of this? I am a big reader, so I just downloaded the first one to my kindle...

aliaslaceygreen
April 15th, 2013, 11:49 PM
How have I never heard of this? I am a big reader, so I just downloaded the first one to my kindle...
I hope you have finished working on the quilt you needed done, because ---well...get past the first 100 pages and you will be unable to put the books down!!!

I say 100, because--well, a number of people find it takes a bit of time to get into--- not me, I loved them from the get go...but understand this---there are 7 books now, averaging 1000 pages a piece!! (AKA, heaven....)

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Lisa, you will never be the same...and your husband will wonder who the heck Jamie is and the hold he has on you. Consider yourself warned...you will LOVE Jamie.

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Ok, I will wait until I get a few deadline projects done (swaps) BEFORE I start reading this.... :)

What other author or series would you compare this to?

Eliza
April 16th, 2013, 01:29 AM
LOVE this series! When I am reading I hardly come up for air! Only trouble is that it has been going so long I tend to forget who all the characters are (not Jamie of course :)). An Echo in the Bone ended with all sorts of loose ends so I am eagerly waiting for the next one.

Lissau
April 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Lisa be prepared to be a smitten "Sassenach".....

aliaslaceygreen
April 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Ok, I will wait until I get a few deadline projects done (swaps) BEFORE I start reading this.... :)

none? Even Diana herself says they can't be categorized. They have variously been shelved in romance, fiction, science fiction, historical fiction, historical romance, and even once in historical NON fiction (because, according to the story, the person in charge of organizing them BELIEVES in time travel)

She is detailed. They are involved. Pretty much a lot of info on almost whatever topic she hits. Remember this; she has her doctorate in some science field and was a university professor for years.

Her characters have depth, and strength and humor. So, they are hard to nail down. Ann Rice has the same kind of attention to detail, but possibly not the same depth of history.....

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Trish nailed it...her attention to detail is exquisite. You literally visualize the setting in your mind quite vividly. While reading the books, I quite often got out the Atlas and looked on a map to see where they were, what path they had taken to get there, etc. etc.

You will enjoy them, to be sure.

patchiereggie
April 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Me too. But I must admit I haven't read the last one yet, but I will bump it up on the reading list.

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM
All right, I have to admit I opened my kindle to it last night and started reading. Finally put it down when I couldn't see the words anymore....have been dragging at work all day... I think I had better work on the swaps tonight BEFORE I pick up the kindle again.... Thanks for sharing - I think it is going to be fun! :)

aliaslaceygreen
April 16th, 2013, 06:14 PM
They never listen.... shakes head sadly... lol...welcome to my world...

All right, I have to admit I opened my kindle to it last night and started reading. Finally put it down when I couldn't see the words anymore....have been dragging at work all day... I think I had better work on the swaps tonight BEFORE I pick up the kindle again.... Thanks for sharing - I think it is going to be fun! :)

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 06:21 PM
LOL, hook, line and sinker...Jamie has her in his big, strong, burly Scottish grip.

Roxanne
April 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Well, I must admit that after reading these posts, I am intrigued. Was hoping they had at least the first book on amazon prime so I could borrow it instead of buying it. Of course, they don't. Local library has it for kindle but there are 24 people ahead of me waiting. So, Tanya, convince me that it is worth $8.99 to get it for my kindle. Did you read Hunger Games? I realize this isn't the same type of story, but just wondering if you read HG and liked it, so I could see if we have similar taste. I'm cheap, I hate paying for books that I can't get past the first chapter.

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I have no idea what you ladies are talking about. I do know that I have to find me one of these books!

You absolutely MUST do yourself a favour and read these books!! Warn your husband though..he will be dogmeat for the entire time you are reading them and another 5 or 6 months afterwards. sigh.

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM

I have yet to find anything to compare it to..maybe...just a tiny bit...the Clan of the Cavebear books but only like the third or fourt one..Plains of Passage I think. Otherwise I haven't found a series yet that can compare.

WendyI
April 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Well, I must admit that after reading these posts, I am intrigued. Was hoping they had at least the first book on amazon prime so I could borrow it instead of buying it. Of course, they don't. Local library has it for kindle but there are 24 people ahead of me waiting. So, Tanya, convince me that it is worth $8.99 to get it for my kindle. Did you read Hunger Games? I realize this isn't the same type of story, but just wondering if you read HG and liked it, so I could see if we have similar taste. I'm cheap, I hate paying for books that I can't get past the first chapter.

I read HG and enjoyed it...but it's really swamp water compared to the DG books. Honestly...you have done yourself a HUGE favour!

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I have also read Hunger Games and enjoyed them.

Has anyone read the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card? He has several different series. One that started with Pathfinder, I think the next one was Ruins. Another one is the Alvin Maker books.

On a completely different type of book, Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth. I have read several of his, but they are more historical in nature and no sci fi or fantasy at all in them. Lisa

Tanya D
April 16th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Yes Roxanne, it is worth it.

I read the HG series as well, well actually I haven't read the third one yet...quilting kind of consumes my time.

You won't be sorry for spending $8.99

Roxanne
April 16th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Well, hubby is going to be gone for 3 or 4 days starting Thursday, so I would have time to read. I'll decide tomorrow and let you know. I haven't read a book (since Hunger Games) that I couldn't put down. I'm pretty hard to please :)

aliaslaceygreen
April 16th, 2013, 11:35 PM
The Clan of the Cave Bear series... yes, to a degree... depth of knowledge and detail and all that, although the last one of those that came out was a HUGE disappointment... These get better! MOBY is right in the beginnings of the Revolutionary War, but the beginning books deal with Scotland in the 18th century and all that goes along with that,....up to and including landing on the moon....
$8.99 is a good deal for 900 pages!

janluna
April 17th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I loved DG books. I didn't know she had written more. I have to go shopping!

aliaslaceygreen
April 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I loved DG books. I didn't know she had written more. I have to go shopping!
Echo in the Bone is 7, and MOBY is currently being written; the book sites have Dec as a release but from her own mouth, "Written in My Own Hearts Blood" (aka MOBY) is NOT finished being written, so there is no release date!

If you enjoy the Lord John character, and some different story, she has a number of novellas out about him, without Jamie and Claire, and one book, The Scottish Prisoner, abt Jamie and Lord John...

ilive2craft2
April 27th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Alright you guys - I have gotten hardly any sewing done since I started this book!!! I am well over half done with it - it is so hard to tell how much is left on my kindle..... Jamie is mine! LOL

aliaslaceygreen
April 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Alright you guys - I have gotten hardly any sewing done since I started this book!!! I am well over half done with it - it is so hard to tell how much is left on my kindle..... Jamie is mine! LOL
DID I NOT WARN YOU, young lady???? LMAO

ilive2craft2
April 27th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Ok, I finished it today. Haven't bought the next one yet. I HAVE to get some sewing done!!!!! :)

WendyI
April 28th, 2013, 12:50 AM
LOL! Oh man...the second one is even better than the first! Do yourself a favour and buy both the 2nd and 3rd and THEN take a break. LOL! Unless you really do want to get some sewing done...in which case...better not!

And btw...are you not totally devastated that you FINISHED the first one?! I had to read them as they were released!! Talk about torture! YOU can get them all right NOW! So lucky!

Tanya D
April 28th, 2013, 02:46 AM
So glad I started this thread and got some new fans of Jamie...but as I mentioned right off the top, he's mine so the line forms behind me :D

The first 4 are the best of them, in my opinion.

And since Trisha called me out on not finishing An Echo in the Bone, I started re-reading it yesterday, from the beginning.

aliaslaceygreen
April 28th, 2013, 09:53 AM
So glad I started this thread and got some new fans of Jamie...but as I mentioned right off the top, he's mine so the line forms behind me :D

The first 4 are the best of them, in my opinion.

And since Trisha called me out on not finishing An Echo in the Bone, I started re-reading it yesterday, from the beginning.

LOL... You SO need to have read Echo, or you're head will positively SPIN if you try to read MOBY when it comes out....Serious vertigo spin, I'm talkin'!

I am almost finished Voyager for the ?th time, I am doing a slow re-read to gear up for MOBY at the end of the year!

WendyI
April 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Guess I will have to get on Echo...I read it but didn't really enjoy it..I think I've actually had enough of Clair and Jamie...***Gasp*** did I just say that?! LOL! But if MOBY will be as good as you say, then I guess I should clean out the bookcase and find it!