PDA

View Full Version : Back to work finally!

middlesis1966
April 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
On Wednesday I got a call to come back to work. It wasn't to do the job that I was laid off from, but I'm cool with that. Unemployment is a joke, so I'll take what I can get. It was a very rough go for a few days. I have to be up a 3 am and I'm not used to that anymore. I haven't done that for a few years, so this chic is wiped out for sure. Plus I haven't done any real physical labor since the end of Dec 2009, so my body was screaming at me. I'm doing gravy work right now and please pray that I can handle going back to welding. I've been worried that I can't handle the physical part of it and I really need to do this. I've always loved what I did for a living and was always told to do what you love. Sure there were days I wanted to pull my hair out, but there were days, I loved what I did. I sure do miss it. I was given an awesome opportunity to learn the other side of welding, but that involved nothing but paperwork. It was a real learning experience that I'm grateful for, but the doing side of welding is what I love. Please pray that I will have the strength to do this. I fought long and hard to get where I was by being a woman who can weld just as good as the men and kick but while doing it. I never let anything stand in my way while I worked and never ever played the I'm a woman card please help me, I did it by my blood sweat and tears. I did everything the guys did and then some, just so I didn't have to hear, oh she doesn't have to do it because she's a woman. I did it cause I can and wanted to.

Have a wonderful time all. Thanks so much for all the fun times during my vaca and keeping me amusing during some long days. I won't be on very much because my days Mon-Sat start at 3am and don't end for 10-12 hrs later. Thank goodness that Saturday is a short day because by then I'm wiped out. Take care all! I'll be more of a lurker until I can get myself on a better schedule, but will be on the look out for needs and prayers!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Hope you can adjust to the rigourous hours! Sounds back breaking to me, but you have worked hard for this opportunity, good luck and we'll miss you!

MRoy
April 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Good luck Paula.

Bubby
April 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Good Luck to you Paula! Drop in when you can...Hugs, Barb

HandsOffItsMine
April 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Congrats on getting called back to work first off. Those are some grueling work days. Prayers for you to have the mental and physical strength to carry you through each day. :)

Huggers, Ruby

Sandy Navas
April 14th, 2013, 10:16 AM
You are truly soaring, Paula!!
http://data.whicdn.com/images/47448822/tumblr_mfnnlnKHh11ruqjmto1_500_large.jpg

Iris Girl
April 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Grats on getting back to work, unemployment is a joke . My hubby has been on it for a year now and it stinks when your the bread winner on unemployment...such is our economy , we just do what we can.

SallyO'Sews
April 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
All the best, Paula! I pray your strength in the Lord. You really CAN do all things...!
Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

Mecread
April 14th, 2013, 08:00 PM
My Brother worked in a production weld shop for automotive and he will tell you that the women in the plant did it better then the men, My brother in law that teaches it at a trade school also says the same.. now my DD wants to learn the trade. (i can but its NOT pretty at all ) but it will hold.

I hope it settles down for you

Madeforyouinma11
April 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Congrats and good luck Paula!

ilive2craft2
April 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Congrats! You will be exhausted for a few weeks, but you will adjust again. Stop in and see us when you have time. Lisa

Genny
April 14th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Good luck Paula and stop in and visit whenever you can.

MayinJerset
April 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Good Luck, May

Lisapc
April 15th, 2013, 12:15 AM
To look at me most people would be shocked to know that I weld. I was in Metal Fabrication/Welding in high school. I didn't want to go to a tech school and my mother made me so I rebelled by doing really well in Metal Fab and really badly every where else. Dad welds so I knew he would be on my side, his little girl can do anything.

I enjoyed sheet metal a bit. The engraving of it really. I like arc welding but was never crazy about it. I really like, OK love wrought iron and that was where I had the most fun and felt the most creative. A few pieces I made in high school are still there and still used. I occasionally help my Dad with a welding project but not often. I would like to do more of it but I don't have the time or the inclination to make the time.

I hope you get to do this work again and love it as much as you always did.

Good luck!

WendyI
April 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Welding is a very artistic craft...I can see totally why women would be better at it than men!! Congratulations on getting back to work. My husband is a hobby welder and I know how tough (and messy!) it can be but also very rewarding to be able to "build" with your own hands! You'll adjust soon enough!! Very best to you!!

Suzyq
April 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Paula, you are truly one amazing lady! I read your post over twice and thought boy,would I ever like to meet you...you have courage, tenacity, and oh gosh so much more.... Please Take a few mins to let us know how you make out... Your forum family are here for you, rooting all the way!!! Big Huggies.

Sharyn J
April 15th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Paula, congrats on going back to work. I had a very dear friend who was a welder and the only woman in her plant. It was a tough job physically & mentally. However, she had the distinction of knowing that she was the only one who could make the precision cuts 100% accurate and never had any orders returned, unlike her male co-workers. She was only about 120 lbs and a good looking woman so was subject to a lot of comments and innuendos, if you know what I mean.

Hang in there girl. We're all here for you and wish you the best.

EmmaB
April 15th, 2013, 01:08 PM
My hats off to you and much congratulations on your new employment. I hope your "adjustment" period is short. You sound like a determined woman and "do what you have to do" so I'm sure your routine will fall in place quickly. You go girl!