PDA

View Full Version : Grumble, growl... I am annoyed

Meli
April 14th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I have a history of stupid injuries. In high school, I sprained my ankle twice in two months wearing boots with no traction and slipped on the linoleum. A few years ago I hyper-extended my knee reaching across the bed. This was followed, a few months later, by spraining the same knee climbing into bed. Yes, I know. It's a gift. This week, I've done it again. Right foot, this time.

Wednesday evening I ran across the room to answer the door. I made it only 2 or 3 steps across the room when I felt/heard something snap/pop in my foot. Since then, walking on it is painful. The doctor says I've pulled/strained the Achilles tendon. The remedy is RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. In addition, doc increased the dosage of my arthritis meds, since I can't take both that and ibuprophen at the same time.

Tonight I went to my niece's drum line competition (state finals). I did fine until I was climbing the bleachers. Apparently stairs are not my friend. I really hate this. The only time it doesn't hurt is when I have it propped up. Do you know how often you use your foot? All the time! Anyway, if it's not better by mid-week, I'm going back to the doc.

This whiny, annoying ramble brought to you by a whiny, annoying meli.

Lenie
April 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Aaw, Meli, that doesn't sound nice. Keep up with the RICE, and I hope it will get better soon.

Lissau
April 14th, 2013, 06:08 AM
(((((((((((meli))))))))))) feel better soon

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2013, 06:53 AM
My goodness! Sounds like you need to slow down. Sorry you've injured yourself again.

Evilynn
April 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
aww...hope youre better soon! sending many hugs!

Mpyles
April 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Aww, so sorry! I feel your pain...always something isn't it. I will pray for relief.

MRoy
April 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hope you're feeling better soon. Take good care of yourself!

Sandy Navas
April 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Sometimes just being clumsy all the time HURTS! Quit doing things like that, okay?????

SuzyQue
April 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Meli---Sorry you hurt your foot and are in pain! I do understand, foot pain is horrible and for me it took forever to heal! I tripped over my own foot once (it might have been asleep?) and bent my all my toes under as I stepped on my foot upside down. Hard to explain, but it was the worst break you could do on your foot and I walked with 3 toes inside out in their joints for over 4 months. This injury took over 2 years to heal completely and I still don't do heels! Any pain makes you ache and makes you so tired, but foot pain seems to be worse. If your feet hurt.....you hurt all over!! Take care and do keep that foot elevated and iced (20 minutes on and 20 minutes off). It will help.....eventually. Here is hoping and praying that your injury will heal very quickly!!!
I hope it is not your right foot!!!-----then you could at least sew some??????

bubba
April 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I feel your pain...in more ways than one! Last fall it felt like I had stepped on a landmine. Well, after hobbling for five days, I broke down and went to the doctor. Three bones spurs - two on the heel, one in the achilles tendon - all 1/2" long. On top of that, the heel spurs are causing plantars faciitis. That was mid October. I was in a boot 24 hrs a day till mid January, and still continue to sleep with it every night. Have had one steroid shot in my heel, which was sheer hell. The doctor does not think it needs surgery, but as it still continues, he now wants to cast it for at least six weeks!!! All I have to say is sewing with the left foot is the pits.....I guess it's better than not sewing tho! Hope you heal quickly!

shannonsaulter
April 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Oh Meli rest and take care..((( hugs)))

bakermom
April 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Is it possible you broke something in your foot? I broke my 5th metatarsel(?) just walking a couple years ago. hurt like heck! Dr said it is the most common bone in the foot to break, usually doing something simple like stepping wrong. wore a boot for over 2 months. not fun.

WendyI
April 14th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I have foot pain every day, and fall all the time. I sooooo sympathise with you and am so sorry you're dealing with this. It stinks. Hopefully the RICE will work.

ilive2craft2
April 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hope the RICE works for you and you are feeling much better soon. My mom just got out of a boot from a fall at the end of December that broke 2 bones in her foot. She is still restricted to wearing tennis shoes all day. Poor woman, she is a slipper type shoe person, has a million pairs.....

Meli
April 14th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks, everyone. Sorry for being so whiny. It seems like every time I get inspired to start being more active something happens to prevent it. Today, I don't have much planned. It's time to get ready for church, and DH and I are supposed to take a drive this afternoon, but none of that involves much walking. It certainly feels better than it did last night. I'm just thinking about all the things I have planned for this week, trying to figure out how to do them. It'll be a challenge! lol

lilmouse
April 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Meli, I so feel your pain; I have aching feet most of the time due to soft tissue injury years ago...per the Doctor soft tissue injuries never fully heal as you are always re-injuring it every time you stub your toe or step down wrong....have been dealing with it for years now....aspirin or ibuprofen is my best friend! Hope you feel better soon.....get lots of rice in!

auntiemern
April 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM
So sorry clumsy girl. SLOW down. We don't realize how we take our feet for granted, until you can't use one of them. I still can't wear shoes from my toe injury.

Karena1984
April 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
You sound like me! I walked into a wall and split my head clean open once! In 2011 I was at a friends house and tripped over my own two feet! Ended up in a boot for twelve weeks! Need surgery to tighten everything back up now! Fractured my wrist while sleepwalking last year! My absolute favorite is hitting myself in the head with a big mixing bowl! Was swatting a bee (allergic) I had a big dent on my forehead for a week! So don't feel bad! Clumsy people are the most creative! Haha at least that's what my mother always tells me! Hope you feel better soon!!

SandyWhite
April 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Oh, geez, sorry Meli.

Sew Perfect
April 14th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I am so sorry, Meli. Here's a hug for you!

Shirley
April 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Meli, so sorry about your injury. Hope your pain gets better and you can find something to take your mind off of it! Bourbon maybe! That would be a great mix with your meds.

Meli
April 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Oh, Shirley, what a great idea! If only I had some bourbon...

Lisapc
April 15th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I feel for you honey. I walk into walls. My daughter had to get stitches from a butter knife. My hubby just moves the wrong way and tears something.

I try to look at it this way. God allows these little injuries for one of two reasons. Either he is wanting us to slow down for our own good or he is saving us from something far worse.

Saying a prayer for you with a smirk on my face. Not because I am not sincere but because I now have you to add to the club of those I say this prayer for, "God, please save my clumsy loved ones from themselves". Me, well I am used to walking into walls. I really have hurt my shoulder many times from doing this. I can make a whole house shake!

Meli
April 15th, 2013, 02:41 AM
LOL What a great prayer!

I feel for you honey. I walk into walls. My daughter had to get stitches from a butter knife. My hubby just moves the wrong way and tears something.

I try to look at it this way. God allows these little injuries for one of two reasons. Either he is wanting us to slow down for our own good or he is saving us from something far worse.

Saying a prayer for you with a smirk on my face. Not because I am not sincere but because I now have you to add to the club of those I say this prayer for, "God, please save my clumsy loved ones from themselves". Me, well I am used to walking into walls. I really have hurt my shoulder many times from doing this. I can make a whole house shake!