PDA

View Full Version : I fell. :(

WendyI
April 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I DESPISE Freezing Rain! It's my nemesis and EVERY time it happens I get hurt...and today was no exception.

To avoid getting soaked walking in and to avoid falling, I decided I would spend the $15 for the day and park under my building. Normally it's a 15 min. walk from the parking lot for me. Well I couldn't get UNDER the building so was forced to park on the outskirts...stepped out of my truck, lost my feet and landed on my left shoulder. I was so scared I was gonna clock my head on the running boards of the truck...so I think I wrenched my neck trying to hold it up.

At first I thought, well that wasn't so bad...but then I couldn't get up! Every time I put my hand out to lever myself it slipped! So I had to roll onto my knees and push myself up. I looked like a drowned rat by this time. Now my left shoulder, my neck, my right wrist and my hip are sore and I have a brutal headache. sigh. Nice way to start the weekend.

Did I mention freezing rain SUCKS!!

Wwena
April 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Ouch so sorry hun, hope it subsides really fast!!

WendyI
April 12th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Oh and to top it off, I get to have my supervisor rag on me for a silly error. It's a long story and normally I love her, but she can also be somewhat pompous, arrogant and condescending....which gets on my nerves but I normally let it slide because most of the time she's okay.

shannonsaulter
April 12th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Omg that's not good...you should get checked out if the pain remains...(((hugs)))

EmmaB
April 12th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Bless your heart! Hope your day gets better.

Sew Perfect
April 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry! I hope you are home now; drinking hot tea while wrapped in one of your quilts. May you heal up quick!

asta
April 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I hope your day changes quickly. ((((((hugs))))

Lisapc
April 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I agree it does. I am the only one that didn't make it to the quilt show today. The walkway was slippery out front at 8 this morning and it is supposed to get worse as the day goes on. I already have a headache and figured I better not push my luck driving north into the storm to leave when the weather reports say that it will be at it's worst. I know 2 of the ladies I was meeting have rooms for the night. I am unsure about the third but she was coming from Vermont. I am about an hour away and can't justify a room for the night but also couldn't justify bodily or vehicle harm for the fun of a quilt show.

I hope you feel better and that I get to go tomorrow!

auntiemern
April 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hope you get to feeling better. A trip to the ER to have everything checked out sounds in order.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Wow, that would have been a decent and righteous reason for a sick day for me! Are you sure you shouldn't get yourself checked out? Falls on the ice are very dangerous.

WendyI
April 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry! I hope you are home now; drinking hot tea while wrapped in one of your quilts. May you heal up quick!

HA! I wish! Nope...sitting at my desk..

ilive2craft2
April 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I hate ice! Hope you heal quickly! Hope the ice stops so that you get home safely! Lisa

GinnyKNC
April 12th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Oh please be careful and watch that shoulder. On one of my trips to the ground (and I've had many lol) I landed on my left shoulder (this was 6 years ago) and it still isn't the same. I won't have surgery on it because I've had too many of those trying to get blood to my legs to make them work (lol). I tried the cortizone shots but they would send my diabeties into the moon and would take forever to get it back down.
I hope you are just sore and that you return to good health soon! Be extra careful in going home. Prayers

Ellimay
April 12th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Oh Boy! You will be sore for quite awhile. I would rather break an arm or leg than to have
strained, sprained or pull ligaments that take so long to heal. You should although go to the Dr's and be checked out
just in case. Poor thing , I know the freezing rain is here to and really bad.

get well soon and take it easy over the weekend. That's an order. LOL

Bubby
April 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Poor girl...I know first hand the perils of icy roads and parking lots. I've done things on the ice that would amaze you. One exploit was I came out of the grocery store onto their icy sloping parking lot and I realized my cart was sliding downhill and taking me with it. I had to let go of the cart because it was headed directly for the traffic. After letting go I fell and kept sliding. I slid under a farm truck and got stuck. I waited about 20 minutes for someone to come close enough to hear me hollering. They dragged me out by the feet and helped me retrieve my groceries which were in the ditch.

Wendy, the least you need to do is to see a chiropractor. You may really have hurt yourself and don't know it yet. I hope you are okay, sweetie.

HandsOffItsMine
April 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
(((Wendy))) you need to make sure you get seen by a chiropractor at minimum. You have to be out of wack from a fall like that. Headaches and back pain long term can be in your future from falls like this, no bueno! :(

Please get check...

Huggers, Ruby

Iris Girl
April 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Oh no so sorry hope your day gets better, have a nice cup of tea and try and relax

MartinaG
April 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Hope you feel better and that your boss is going easy on you. Can you get some Arnika? It's homeopathic and works great for bumps and bruises.

Divine Daisy
April 12th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Oh no! Poor you. I think a bar of chocolate and a warm quilt are in order.

Tanya D
April 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Wendy, better to get looked at. Speaking from experience after falling and not feeling better, after 5.5 years I have discovered a tear in my rotator cuff. Shoulders are very intricate and take a lot of time to heal.

I hope you can just rest this weekend. Ice that shoulder and take some Ibuprofen.

Feel better my friend.

Bubby
April 12th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Trust me...you don't want to mess with an injured shoulder...please get yourself checked out....Barb

Mpyles
April 12th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Oh and to top it off, I get to have my supervisor rag on me for a silly error. It's a long story and normally I love her, but she can also be somewhat pompous, arrogant and condescending....which gets on my nerves but I normally let it slide because most of the time she's okay.

Your supervisor should be aware of the fact that if this happened on works property that it can be considered workers compensation and have concern for your well being! Just sayin..

K. McEuen
April 12th, 2013, 07:48 PM
First, I'd tell them I wanted my 15 bucks back! I hope everything is ok and you don't have problems because of this.

When I was in my early 20s and lived with my parents out here I was headed out the front door to work at 6:30am. I walked out on the porch and stepped down on the first step which was covered in the equivalent of black ice. My feet shot out from underme and I ended up about 8 feet from the porch in the middle of the river rock covered yard. As I'm laying there thinking every cuss word in the book my dad walks out and says "why are you laying in the yard?" At which point he stepped on the step before I could say anything and he flew out and landed mostly on top of me. At that point he started laughing and said "Boy, I'm glad you came out first because I'm sure my landing was much softer than yours." My mom heard us out there and came out the door at which point we both yelled "Go back inside!" She did. We were both ok, but it felt so strange to go airborne unexpectedly.

WendyI
April 12th, 2013, 09:30 PM
LOL! Oh Karen! THANKYOU for the laugh! I could just picture that!

And thank you all for your sweet concern! I am perfectly fine. I woke with a headache today which seems to be lingering and I don't think it has anything to do with the fall. I was a little concerned when I was getting sore but it seems to have abated to I'm sure I M fine. If I wake stiff tomorrow though I will definitely get checked out. I did fill out an accident report so if it is anything serious I'll be covered. Thanks again ...you guys are so sweet! Xox

WendyI
April 12th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry for the typos...I'm on my phone coming back from Toronto. :D

ilive2craft2
April 12th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Glad you are feeling ok!

SallyO'Sews
April 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Oh, Wendy, I'm so sorry! I did something similar in January... Tried to keep from whacking my head as my feet flew up from underneath me, so my neck was really sore for a couple of weeks. I took lots of ibuprofen and was told to put ice on it by my athlete son, but the thought of ice on my neck in January (after falling in the snow) was more than I could bear. Hope it's all better soon!

Lisapc
April 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Smart girl filling out that report. I do hope you feel better.

Loonwatcher
April 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Oh no Wendy. That just stinks. I hope there is nothing seriously hurt, just bumps and bruises.

We didn't go to camp because of the freezing rain. I AM SO READY FOR WINTER TO GO AWAY!!!!! I believe I've said that about a dozen times already. Seems like a lot of us are getting this horrendous weather. Take care everyone, be safe.

And Wendy, feel better soon.

Lissau
April 13th, 2013, 12:39 AM
l hope you are ok wendy

phoots
April 13th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Wendy, that sounded brutal! I live in the desert and so I hardly ever deal with snow or ice. A few years back I was visiting a friend during a snow storm and we decided to go shopping. Just after walking out of her home, she told be to be careful of this one spot, it always iced up more than the rest of the walk. Well, I was being so careful but down I went! I ended up with a sore wrist and a huge lump on my hand where I landed. Nothing broken! Don't wait for Monday if you feel you need to see a doctor!!

Pam in Vegas

Evilynn
April 13th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Wendy!!! *Are you ok, dear? Please do us the favor amd get it checked out ... these kind of accidents are really dangerous, hun! Hope you're better already, but pls go still to get it checked!

Monique
April 13th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Wendy, I hope you feel better soon.

MayinJerset
April 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hope you have been checked out and nothing serious done to your body.

Like you I hate freezing rain and icy walks, fell quite a few times that resulted in broken glasses,a chipped tooth, sprained ankles, bumps on my head, bruises, etc. Once coming from night college class I slipped and fell between cars in the dark parking lot. I was afraid my cries for help wouldn't be heard and someone would get in their car and run over me. Lucky for me a man was sitting in his car waiting for his DD to come out from class and he saw me fall and he helped me up. One of the great things of being retired is that when the weather is bad I can stay home and forget about putting myself in danger.