PDA

View Full Version : Flowers

Tanya D
April 11th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Do you have a favorite flower? Do you buy yourself flowers very often or do you have a hubby that brings you flowers all the time?

I love tulips and daffodils. This time of year they are plentiful and usually a pretty good price so I've been buying flowers quite a bit lately. Last week I had daffodils in the living room. This week I bought some tulips for a friend and then went back and bought some for myself.

I do like roses too but hardly ever buy them.

Sometimes Steve will bring me flowers but I buy them for myself more often then he buys them for me. I think they are so cheery and they brighten my day.

CountryHut
April 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hubby brings me flowers for all the special days -- sometimes I pick up a bunch for the dinningroom table or the pick them up and take them camping with us . . love fresh cut flowers

GinnyKNC
April 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I love all kinds of flowers and plant as many as I can. Spring brings them all to life again and I love watching them bloom. I love my nikko blue hydrangea and think they are probably my favorite :) Here is a pic of one of the ones outside my kitchen window.

Roxanne
April 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I will have to say that although my husband is very thoughtful and often buys me "things" just for no reason, he is not a flower person. He has never sent me flowers and I can only think of one time that he brought flowers to me and that was something to plant outside, not flowers in a vase. But, that is fine with me. I have told him many times that a couple fat quarters will get him more points than a couple roses, ha ha. As far as my favorite, I really love tulips also, but once they are picked they don't last very long. I would love to have some in the flowerbed but they always disappear. I assume moles are to blame.

EmmaB
April 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Daisies are my favorite flower. They just look happy. Close to it are yellow roses and lilacs.

I buy myself a bouquet every now and again just to brighten things up a bit. I'm very much single so no hubby to bring me flowers.

Lisapc
April 11th, 2013, 01:52 PM
When I was first dating hubby I mentioned that I didn't like cut flowers because they just die. He has never brought me flowers but did buy me my favorite Christmas cactus for Valentines last year. I have very few flowers in my yard because I have been focusing on my veggie garden but I am partial to Dalhia's and Hollyhocks. I have both of those in my yard.

Tanya D
April 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Roxanne, rabbits love tulips...just the flower tho. My mom had tulips in her yard. I came over one day and there were all her flowerless tulips...she was so mad, she pulled them all up.

CrazyMtnLady
April 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
My favorite flowers are Daisies and Sunflowers but I love all the wildflowers. I do not care for cut flowers and DH does not buy me any. But every now and then he will come in with a bunch of wildflowers he picked while walking around the property.

Monique
April 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I love lilacs and lily of the valley, and lillies and hibiscus, and lillies and magnolias.

dwil23
April 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Daffodils and pansies are my very favorite. No don't have a hubby and even when I did - no flowers from him except maybe Mother's Day from the kids. I don't usually buy them for myself either, but have been known to pick up a potted daffodil at Easter and plant a few pansies outside in the winter. The name of my favorite pansy escapes me at the moment, but it is dark purple with an orange face and has 'jack' in the name. That's going to drive me crazy until I think of it - will have to google it. They are pretty hard to find - at least here.

Edite - okay, not jack. They are 'jolly jokers'.

kensington
April 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
My hubby does bring me flowers a few times a year, birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day. He does good, BIG lovely Roses, with other kinds mixed in too.

I like Daisy's and Carnations or Country Mix flowers around the house often to keep a fresh look. I always use them for my center piece when having people for dinner or fun. It's just a light easy way to perk up the room and keep it fresh.

I like the Spring country mix flowers you see in the grocery stores this time of year, they last so long. My Easter Flowers still look great on my table today. I like to buy two bunches and put one in my vase on the table and break the other one up into a couple small vases to put in the bathroom or on my food serving counter.

nana margaret
April 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
My favourite flower is the sweet pea and we grow them every summer up trellises in the garden. I love having fresh flowers in the house and we always get some when we do the grocery shopping each week. At the moment it's daffodils and I always have two or three bunches dotted about the house because they're so bright and cheery.

Divine Daisy
April 11th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I love daisies........er......obviously. I adore roses in the garden but I never cut them. Daffodils too. I got married in April and I filled the space with daffodils and carried calla lillies.

Mr D never gives me flowers. Had flowers from him maybe 3 times in all.

There is a story I have told before but it always makes me laugh.

I was making this garden from scratch when we moved in and when he asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said a load of manure. I got it and was thrilled. My roses bloomed so well.

A few months later a chap at work was complaining that his wife was high maintenance and Mr D said........... Oh mine isn't. Buy her a pile of sh~*t and she is happy.

Well really! Whilst that might be true, don;t tell the bloody world!

MartinaG
April 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I love Fresias but I don't really appreciate flowers much. I consider them an unnecessary chore. They have to have their water changed regularly or the brew smells horrid. Sorry, that is not worth it for me.

One flower I absolutely DO NOT like is the carnation. Guess what my honey used to bring me regularly....yep, carnations. (he happens to really like them). Being the ungrateful wench that I am, I finally refused his offering outright. I told him that if he buys flowers for himself he also needs to take care of them. I mean - really! other than "I really hate carnations" how much plainer can I be? He just chose not to listen. hehe - he did listen when I tossed a buquet in the trash.

Bubby
April 11th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Jeff is more inclined to pick me a huge bouquet of wildflowers from our property. My favorite flowers are gardenias. Around here they are a special order, so I don't get them very often.

Tanya D
April 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM
A little tip for tulip lovers. If you drop a few pennies in the vase, the tulips will stand up tall and not droop. Something about the copper.

Iris Girl
April 11th, 2013, 04:08 PM
my favorite is the Iris of course 44983
I love all flowers really spring flowers in particular. I have a very unique flower it is guinea-hen flower it is a memeber of the lily family and small maybe 8 inches high blooms in the spring , It is purple and white checks, I will take a picture of it when it blooms

Sew Perfect
April 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
My favorite "wild" flower is the Black-eyed Susan. They remind me of long walks in the fields with my Great Grandma when I was a little girl. She would take my sister and I along with our mother on long walks through the field down into the meadow towards the water fall. Oh, the stories she told us of her youth. I even remember her telling the story of the Titanic sinking when she was 17. Great Grandma said I was her little Black-eyed Susan. She passed away at 102 1/2 years of age in June of 1995. Since then, I have been growing Black-eyed Susans in my back yard as a reminder of her and the days of my young childhood.

Last year, my husband bought me some rose bushes and planted them in the back yard for me. I love them so much. Last summer, Every morning, I would take my cup of coffee and walk around my back yard to smell and prune all of our beautiful flowers. Everyday I would see a new rose bud in the morning and by evening or the next morning, it would be in bloom. I really should post some pictures.

My husband doesn't buy flowers for me much unless they are to be planted in our beds in the yard. When he is working out back, whether it is mowing or what, he will cut flowers from our beds and bring them to me.
44991 44992