PDA

View Full Version : Why you should not eat hot peppers before bedtime . . .

Sandy Navas
January 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I've been awake since 3 a.m. and my mind just doesn't shut down. So, here are a couple of things that have been floating around in my fired up brain.

1) We need a design for a quilter's decision-making dartboard. Before I got old and had to have both shoulders rebuilt, I was an active participant in dart competitions. When I took over our family room for my sewing room I took down the dartboard to put up my design wall. Now I find I really NEED it as I am a poor decision maker. Here's what I want - as an idea hits me for a project, I will write that idea on a Post-it-Note and stick it to the dart board . . . yes, I could fill the dartboard with stickies every day of the week. Then, when I enter the sewing room I pick up my dart and standing at regulation distance I will aim for bulls-eye. I never could hit it with accuracy . . . so when it goes off kilter it will land on my PROJECT OF THE DAY. Now if I could only find a blank wall.

2) One of our newer forum friends was asking how to build up her stash. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a way everyone could send each new member at least a fat quarter when they join this site . . .

3) Teacup pincushions. I am not much of a teacup person, so I had to scour a local thrift store to find one that I liked enough to copy RFREE's teacup pincushion. I also found a porcelain bathroom cup. I made a couple pincushions but wasn't truly pleased with the firmness. While in Michaels the other night I picked up a child's bouncy ball - it is a dense rubber ball, but not those harder ones that the kids get from the money thieves inside stores - hard to describe - but since it was only a dollar I bought it and it fit perfectly in my bathroom cup. So, I checked it out with quilting pins - and they slide in and out as you would imagine perfect should be. I cut out a circle of fabric, grabbed a glue stick and slathered it on the fabric, pulled the fabric taunt around that ball and plopped it in place. Much better than my first attempts. Now if I can just find the same type ball a bit bigger - to fit inside a teacup or coffee mug.

Dragonfly
January 24th, 2011, 08:06 AM
:lol: You are just too funny Sandy, I love it, now...

1) I won't tell you what I used to use a dart board for but it had to do anger management...;)
I like your idea lots, sadly I no longer have a dart board.

2) WOW this would be a great way to get new members...once the word got out, but it is a lovely thought, I have a lot of fabric that no longer suits my taste that I would volunteer to a new home where it could be loved.

3) We have children's ball here that is a dense but pliable foam that I think are called nerf balls...not sure why. :icon_bigsmile: I've also been thinking about what to use in one of those cups, I will have to look into these.

Now young lady you should go get some sleep :icon_bored: before you go :icon_crazy:

Blondie
January 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I do believe we have shared the same moments! Let's call some Inventors Hotline and get 'er done.
And oh, wouldn't it be loverly to send tokens of welcome in the way of fabric? You have won my heart, dear lady.

Hope you get some rest or whatever you can buzz around to do.
Big hugs!

newbiequilter
January 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Blondie,

Can't you design a virtual dart board for Sandy? Then she could throw one of those soft darts with a suction cup at her PC to decide what to do. Just don't put housework items on those stickies.

I met a 'real' quilter with enough stash to make a couple of really cute afghans from her scraps. I too want to get to that point that I can make a scrappy ghan. I look at some of the catalogs with collections of fat quarters or squares and briefly consider buying some just to have a stash to play with. Until reality sets in, they cost MONEY and I'd rather choose fabrics I will use for a project.

Pat

Sandy Navas
January 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
3) We have children's ball here that is a dense but pliable foam that I think are called nerf balls...not sure why. :icon_bigsmile: I've also been thinking about what to use in one of those cups, I will have to look into these.

Now young lady you should go get some sleep :icon_bored: before you go :icon_crazy:

Haven't been to bed yet . . . Hubby also got up about half an hour after me so we've stripped the bed, I've got two loads of laundry done, we pulled all the bedding off and rotated and flipped the mattress. I fixed him oatmeal for breakfast and he's off to the shop to put together my BIRTHDAY present.

Those balls I got are firmer than nerf balls - pretty solid feeling - more dense than the ones I remember as a child that were called 'rubber balls' and had paint on the outside. It is a hefty-feeling thing and could wound an intruder if necessary.

Sandy Navas
January 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I met a 'real' quilter with enough stash to make a couple of really cute afghans from her scraps. I too want to get to that point that I can make a scrappy ghan. I look at some of the catalogs with collections of fat quarters or squares and briefly consider buying some just to have a stash to play with. Until reality sets in, they cost MONEY and I'd rather choose fabrics I will use for a project.

Pat

Pat, I was visiting my sister a few weeks ago and she was working on a strip quilt. She had a gallon-size plastic zip bag with tiny pieces of fabric in it. Now, when I do strip quilting anything that is shorter or narrower than about 3 inches gets stuffed in the trash . . . a wanton waster . . . and here's my sister saving these TINY postage-stamp sized pieces because she's going to do a one inch square quilt. Would love to see what your friend is doing with her scrappy ghans.

Wish I had your willpower for buying for a specific project. I, unfortunately, am a glutton for fabric.

patticakes
January 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wish I could check the forum when I wake up at night but the puter is the bedroom and BF would probably think I was having an online affair or something!! LOL

The fabric giveaway sounds like a generous idea. Quilters are so kind like that aren't they?

I had no fabric stash when I re-started my quilting journey and in a year's time ...poof!...stasherama!! I love looking at it, touching it....wait....maybe I am having an affair with my fabric! I saw something like that last night on a show on the OWN network but the lady had purses and shoes and was addicited to shopping! She was my hero..wish I had the $$ to shop these days!

Sandy - sounds like you are having a busy day! I used to play darts too when I lived in New England , not the plastic ones like the machines but the old fashioned steel darts that you don't see around my in the midwest. Miss the fun of that. I got pretty good and played on a league. Love you teacup filler idea!
Enjoy your birthday present when you get it!

debinmalaga
January 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Talk about a common thread, Sandy... I, too, eat hot peppers at odd times. They're not just for breakfast anymore! :-)

I went through an odd spell where I kept waking up at 5 am. It was later attributed to a meds change, but at the time it was inexplicable - and fantastic! I got so much done! Of course I was asleep in my chair at 9 every night :-) but I got my first full sized quilt done in weeks!

Out of sorts, sewingwise, still. Still looking for something to do with my blues and yellows for spring decor items, but not feeling those colors. May set them aside for now and do yet another burgundy item, a runner for my kitchen table. I'm thinking varying width strips running diagonally, with something appliqued somewhere. The table is oval, you approach it from one end, so I need something that doesn't only "read" right from one angle.

Dare I do another Dresden, maybe a big single one in the middle of a square of dark green? Is that a Wild Rose Layer Cake calling my name...?

SuzyQue
January 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Sandy--just lamenting over this same dilemma with a friend yesterday---too many projects, not enough time and hard to decide what to do first----she solved it by calling them "options". Made huge change in how I think of them. Doesn't change deciding what to do first, but it is a blessing to have so many choices! I , too, have problems with the brain shut-off lever.......it sticks a lot in the middle of the night. I try so hard to not think and it makes it worse. Wish I had a solution! Lists work for me-----till I lose them and have to start over---but at least it gets them out of my brain! You and hubby might need naps or early bedtimes tonight, but look at what all you have accomplished already!
Patticakes----my husband often checks what site I am on, looking for that online "chat" session......since MSQC, I am online a lot more......but he will constantly be disappointed that it is more quilters that I chat with. I love him too much to do otherwise and he knows it, but it might cross his mind with the sudden interest in computer time!
SuzyQue

Sandy Navas
January 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I went through an odd spell where I kept waking up at 5 am. It was later attributed to a meds change, but at the time it was inexplicable - and fantastic! I got so much done! Of course I was asleep in my chair at 9 every night :-) but I got my first full sized quilt done in weeks!

Best time of my life was way back when - had a serious medical problem and lost vision overnight in my right eye. Doctors put me on steroids and for six weeks I was at an all-time high. Wouldn't want to be on them all the time, but during that period of time I slept about an hour and a half a day, scrubbed everything in the house from top to bottom, organized things until they couldn't be any finer tuned, and accomplished a lifetime of dreams. That's the way I've been feeling lately but my older body and brain can't keep on the same track.

I've recently had a drastic meds change and think that's what is going on with me. Hubby came in from the shop and asked me to take a trip down there to see the quilting frame he's finishing up for me - and my mouth started watering because I want to be back doing woodworking so badly - and I told him that my old brain is moving so much faster than my old body.

MaryBeth61
January 25th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I've been awake since 3 a.m. and my mind just doesn't shut down. So, here are a couple of things that have been floating around in my fired up brain.

1) We need a design for a quilter's decision-making dartboard. Before I got old and had to have both shoulders rebuilt, I was an active participant in dart competitions. When I took over our family room for my sewing room I took down the dartboard to put up my design wall. Now I find I really NEED it as I am a poor decision maker. Here's what I want - as an idea hits me for a project, I will write that idea on a Post-it-Note and stick it to the dart board . . . yes, I could fill the dartboard with stickies every day of the week. Then, when I enter the sewing room I pick up my dart and standing at regulation distance I will aim for bulls-eye. I never could hit it with accuracy . . . so when it goes off kilter it will land on my PROJECT OF THE DAY. Now if I could only find a blank wall.

2) One of our newer forum friends was asking how to build up her stash. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a way everyone could send each new member at least a fat quarter when they join this site . . .

3) Teacup pincushions. I am not much of a teacup person, so I had to scour a local thrift store to find one that I liked enough to copy RFREE's teacup pincushion. I also found a porcelain bathroom cup. I made a couple pincushions but wasn't truly pleased with the firmness. While in Michaels the other night I picked up a child's bouncy ball - it is a dense rubber ball, but not those harder ones that the kids get from the money thieves inside stores - hard to describe - but since it was only a dollar I bought it and it fit perfectly in my bathroom cup. So, I checked it out with quilting pins - and they slide in and out as you would imagine perfect should be. I cut out a circle of fabric, grabbed a glue stick and slathered it on the fabric, pulled the fabric taunt around that ball and plopped it in place. Much better than my first attempts. Now if I can just find the same type ball a bit bigger - to fit inside a teacup or coffee mug.

Sandy,
1. You have taught me a wonderful tip for numbering my thoughts.
2. I have A.D.D. so this is a perfect way for me to read posts! lol
3. Since I'm new I'm really digging the fat quarter idea. ha ha ha
4. Love the bathroom cup idea. <hitting forehead saying "why didn't I think of that". :lol:
Love
Mary