PDA

View Full Version : My chicks

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Talk about spring. I have three set's of these in my yard right now. Plus the roosters This one has eleven!! They were moving to fast to get them all in. I took a lot of pictures but I'm going to show just one. You all have seen chickens before. lol I had to throw some bird seed to get close enough.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 10th, 2013, 03:27 PM
You sure do have the animals! Fish, now chicks! How many chickens do you have? I love the baby chicks, they grow up fast, don't they? I'm a city girl, and never raised chickens, but I was a first grade teacher for years, and we were given the opportunity to have incubators and chicks in our classrooms, thanks to our science coordinator. I often hatched chicks, and the kids really loved seeing them when they hatched. It was so cool to hold an egg that had pipped and hear the little chick peeping from within the egg! I have some priceless pictures of little people's eyes when they saw that chick come out of the egg. We did butterfly larvae also, and that was magical when they emerged from their coccoon. One really big thing I miss about teaching elementary school. That may be the only thing I miss!

nana margaret
April 10th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I love chickens, I have chicken crockery, chicken pictures, chicken ornaments but alas, no live chickens! They're very cute. :icon_bigsmile:

slg0522
April 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM
cute little chicks

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Oh my gosh Jean these are all wild. I throw out old bread and cereal to them. This morning there was about fourteen hens (three with chicks) About four roosters (bad boy's getting all these girls pregnant lol) Then the cardinals and doves came flocking in. It was a nice birdie morning:)

Margaret you should of joined the chicken pin cushion group! Pm me:)

Jean Sewing Machine
April 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Oh my gosh Jean these are all wild. I throw out old bread and cereal to them. This morning there was about fourteen hens (three with chicks) About four roosters (bad boy's getting all these girls pregnant lol) Then the cardinals and doves came flocking in. It was a nice birdie morning:)

Margaret you should of joined the chicken pin cushion group! Pm me:)
Wild! Oh my gosh! They are still very cute at this age! Beautiful parent! My neighbor behind me has a small flock, various breeds. They are quiet, so I guess there aren't any roosters!

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Wild! Oh my gosh! They are still very cute at this age! Beautiful parent! My neighbor behind me has a small flock, various breeds. They are quiet, so I guess there aren't any roosters!

Roosters are free alarm clocks. 4am. lol

Renate
April 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Sooooo sweet this little Bieberl, as we call them here

shannonsaulter
April 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Awww sweet Lil chicks but they would end up in my crock pot if I got a 4 am wake up call..lol..

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Before Sandy beats me to it.. A rooster alarm

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
lol Shannon. I could never pluck a chicken. I'll sew one though :)

K. McEuen
April 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
You should build them a little shelter with some nesting boxes so you can collect fresh eggs. There are a couple flocks of guineas that run around a more rural area of Albuquerque and the chicks look very much like the ones in your picture and end up a totally different looking adult bird.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM
You should build them a little shelter with some nesting boxes so you can collect fresh eggs. There are a couple flocks of guineas that run around a more rural area of Albuquerque and the chicks look very much like the ones in your picture and end up a totally different looking adult bird.
I wanted to raise guineas when I lived in the country. I hear they really get rid of ticks and other nuisance bugs. But we had foxes and coyotes, I figured I'd just be feeding my guineas to the wildlife.

K. McEuen
April 10th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I wanted to raise guineas when I lived in the country. I hear they really get rid of ticks and other nuisance bugs. But we had foxes and coyotes, I figured I'd just be feeding my guineas to the wildlife.

Guineas are pretty tough birds. My sister had a small herd of them. None of the dogs in the country where she was ever messed with them, but would harass her geese, ducks and chickens. The guineas would fly up in the trees if they couldn't scratch the offending dog enough. The ones that were left after about 10 years did decide to follow her turkeys over the hill and go live at the dairy.

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs. The kind you get in the store aren't fertilized. If I crack a wild chicken egg there will be a chick in it. umm no lol They do have egg laying hens at some farms here. I did consider it. It's too much fun watching these and buying a six pack at the store. lol

WendyI
April 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
AWWWWW!! I LOVE CHICKENS! But it wasn't always that way!

When I was little we used to visit this family who my dad knew on a big farm. One day they invited us for dinner. The mom said, "ok chillens...outside and we'll catch us some supper!" She had four kids and then there was me and my brother. Out we all went and I thought it was a game to play, chasing the chickens around the yard. Well the one boy brought one out from the coop with it's head tucked under it's wing and passed it to his mother who was next to the chopping block. Before I could even blink! off went it's head and the rest came running right at me! I think I was about four years old. I can't recall ever being more horrified in my life! It dropped about four feet away from me and just lay still and then one of the boys picked it up and started plucking feathers. I just walked back into the house and sat in a corner rocking chair...that's all I remember. LOL! I'm surprised I can still eat chicken!

Lisapc
April 11th, 2013, 01:51 AM
They are precious. My little brother brought home the chicks they had hatched in his kindergarten class and they foxes got them all except for Harry. He was my mothers favorite pet ever. My mother is a city girl and even at 72 she still considers herself a city girl.

Hulamoon
April 11th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Wendy when I was little my mom, stepdad and me went to visit his mom in Arizona. She lived in a trailer in the middle of nowhere. Think jack rabbits. Umm no. Then a deer on another trip. umm no. I don't eat red meat anymore. I was pretty young when I stopped. Not for health but I just didn't like how animals are treated.

I eat fish. Poor things . lol

madampolo
April 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
We have raised a lot of chickens, ducks and geese, but the hawks and coyotes get them. I have only one duck now. I think I might get more hens this spring. I have the chicken yard and house already. I have a incubator, too, but you don't get all hens if you incubate eggs. We did some for our grandkids awhile back.

CrazyMtnLady
April 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Love the chicks. I have plucked my share of chickens, pheasant, pigeons and wild turkeys while growing up. I would like to have a few chickens for my own fresh eggs but with the dogs, cats and the wild critters around here I think it would be a waste of money unless I made them a fenced in critter proof area.