PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure...BOILING!!!

WendyI
April 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM
In Canada we pay some of the highest internet and cellphone fees in the world...literally. We are the only country to my knowledge, that has to pay for incoming calls. This means that if a telemarketer gets your number, YOU pay for it. Likewise with internet connection. Netflix will not offer their programs in High Def. in Canada because our broadband usage would skyrocket and people would end up cancelling.

In our house we have only cellphones...all three of us have our own....as a result we don't need a land line...or you would THINK so! If we want to use our cellphones, we MUST be at the front of our house. Otherwise, they will not work. I have called and complained repeatedly, I've begged them to come and check it in person, I've lodged complaints and not a single thing is done....and every time I do it, I'm a hour or more on the phone! Time out of my life I can NEVER get back for them to take my money and do NOTHING! Every time I have to call them my blood pressure goes through the roof at the frustration that I have to deal with.

No point to this post other than needing to calm myself down. I really, REALLY, dislike being at the mercy of huge corporations who treat my business like they deserve it rather than needing to EARN it.

K. McEuen
April 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM
In the US we pay for minutes whether it is incoming or outgoing, so you aren't alone there. That said we have plenty of carriers to choose from with cell service so if one doesn't cover where we are we can go with another one.

shannonsaulter
April 7th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I am glad I found a Co that giver pretty good service for $50 per month per line unlimited data,call and text..it works great with two teens but there are companies out there where it would be an arm and a leg

Lisapc
April 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I never knew how lucky we were. We have TV, phone and internet bundled with one company and have unlimited calls nationwide. It does not matter if it is incoming or outgoing. For our cell phones we have a family plan with 3 phones and we share minutes but if we call anyone who shared the same carrier (not plan) then the calls are free. I am sorry it isn't like this for you and all Canadian residents.

kensington
April 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM
We live out in the country. We don't get a very good signal and we have to be in certain spots in the house too. We only have the choice of one internet service and there is no bundle with phone and cable. We have Satellite to have TV. Our internet is a Radio service that we have to reset ourselves constantly. So DH went to the phone provider, Sprint and we qualified for a booster that goes through our Satellite to pull a signal for the phones. It works we have more phone signal now, but it interferes with our internet causing us to have to reset it more often or disconect the booster for a time. It's a pain. VERY tired of it after 8 years of dropping calls, fighting slow or no internet signals.

If I go 1/2 mile from my house to the stop sign at the end of the road. I get a full signal. I guess my neighbors would question my sanity if I sat up there at the stop sign all day talking on the phone.

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM
We live out in the country. We don't get a very good signal and we have to be in certain spots in the house too. We only have the choice of one internet service and there is no bundle with phone and cable. We have Satellite to have TV. Our internet is a Radio service that we have to reset ourselves constantly. So DH went to the phone provider, Sprint and we qualified for a booster that goes through our Satellite to pull a signal for the phones. It works we have more phone signal now, but it interferes with our internet causing us to have to reset it more often or disconect the booster for a time. It's a pain. VERY tired of it after 8 years of dropping calls, fighting slow or no internet signals.

If I go 1/2 mile from my house to the stop sign at the end of the road. I get a full signal. I guess my neighbors would question my sanity if I sat up there at the stop sign all day talking on the phone.
That's us too. You have to go into the bathroom by the window, upstairs, out on the road or drive like you said. lol I have a pay as you go but haven't activated it for awhile. I see a lot of people standing out on the street around here. lol

phoots
April 8th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I have cable, internet and telephone (landline) bundled together with our local cable company. I have asked repeatedly for years to stop the telephone service because we no longer us a landline, we have our own cell phones. The problem is that our cable box has to have a telephone line, and it only took them 2 yrs before they finally explained that to me. Our only option is to buy a box on our own. They'll hook it up. But that's the only way we can cancel our telephone service. With me being out of work for the past 2 1/2 yrs, and the box costs about $100...not gonna happen anytime soon! I know that the phone service, before taxes, etc., only costs about $10 a month and that for bundling we get a $10 credit per month, but that's not the point! Wendi, I feel your pain!

Pam in Vegas

Evilynn
April 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Here in Finland literally everyone has a cellphone. Or multiple. You can't AFFORD a landline here. It's impossible! Only public services or companies have a landline number here because they have to.

That being said, I am glad that I live in the land of Nokia. If you had to pay for INCOMING calls the company would be pretty quick out of business! If you make a call and it's short enough, like 10 seconds then it's sometimes even free. Depends on the daytime. If I call my fiance during busy daytime, minutes are most expensive, I pay something like 15 cents per minute I think. SMS cost 7 cents, no matter if international or national. (Does anyone still send SMS??) Datapackages vary between 7 € and 35€ per month. You get unlimited datatransfer. 7€ is the 256 bit connection I think, and 35€ is 3G or HSPA+. Sometimes they have special offers. I have a prepaid phone like nearly everybody else. The difference between prepaid and contracts is not that big anymore. And I can't be bothered with monthly fees.

Is there a chance you can change your provider?

Hugs,

Steffie

Monique
April 8th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I don't own a cellphone and really don't know how to use one. We don't get cell service here where I live and really I have no need for one either.

Loonwatcher
April 8th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Wendy, if you have Internet at your house, there is a booster you can get that plugs into the wall and the DSL and it boosts your cell signal. We couldn't get cell service at work but they got the booster from the provider and now we can use our cell phone. It cost some for the booster but they were able to get a refurbished one for not much. That would vary by provider.

Suzette
April 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
We no longer have a landline either (dropped that three years ago) and we just use our cell phones. We don't pay for calls independently (outgoing or incoming) as we have an unlimited plan, but we did have to switch carriers to get better coverage. Like you Wendy (with our original carrier), we had to be out on the back deck hanging over the railing to get service! But with our new carrier (it happens to be Verizon), we get great coverage everywhere and anywhere we go. So maybe that's your answer, to switch to a carrier with better coverage. Good luck!! :icon_bigsmile:

WendyI
April 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I wish we could switch...right now we are tied in by our cell phone contracts. I don't know what you all pay for an iPhone or Blackberry over in the States but they're upwards of $600 here..even Samsungs, which are getting more popular, are expensive. And what is frustrating is, it seems that every time there is an upgrade to the operating system on my phone it works less and less efficiently which is also very frustrating. I think we will look at getting a booster...Scott knows a guy who can get stuff at retail...but it's still maddening that we have to do it. Even WITH our bundled service our Rogers bill every month is almost $80 more than our car payment! It's crazy! But we are tech junkies so we must pay to feed our habit.

In Canada there are two monster companies that OWN all the cable or satellite (phone) lines and that's Bell and Rogers. Other companies must rent those lines from them so it's almost impossible to compete! I think the CRTC is working on that but they're not doing a very good job. It's so bad when there are monopolies like that.

EmmaB
April 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Several years ago when I first got a cell phone the signal was terrible in my house. I had I think one or two "hot spots" where I could actually use it. Very annoying to pay for something that doesn't work as promised. The service is better now as the powers that be added another tower in the area. These companies want all the customers but don't have enough towers to service everyone efficiently. Greed, greed and more greed.