PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's can be tricky

Blondie
January 20th, 2011, 07:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/HeyGroupCoffeeYet.gif

I never know early Thuirsday mornings what kind of mixed bag at work I will be having. Still having shop woes and it is keeping my belly in knots at times. Nothing a sack of money wouldn't cure.
I posted a block in my photo album WIP of the small quilty I am working on. I need to get more pics of other WIP's as well.
Sandy, when I started homeschooling, it was in the 80's in Florida. Homeschoolers were considered religious fanatics, ignorant, etc. My how times have changed. HS'ers are still considered radical in some circles. If being an unapologetic Christian is radical, guess I rank in there. I prefer to think of myself as being on cutting edge. I wanted my children to have all the basics of the 3 R's down pat. At that time Fla. was teaching whole language reading and some new math concept. My cousins and a few friends formed a "private school" - our way of getting around the law in those days. We would meet all together once a week with all our kids and do field trips, etc.
The state law mandated testing twice yearly for homeschoolers at that time. My kids always tested out far far above~ when my kids were in 4th grade they were reading/comprehending above college level and their other grade skills were high school. Now it isn't they were brilliant. They were being taught! Once I did put them in public school, I learned a valuable lesson. Kids can dummy down quickly and do merely what is expected of them. I schooled my 3 kids. Your precious daughter with 6!!!!!! God bless her!

Jan, hope your back feels better today after the work out you gave it yesterday.
Trish, how's Odie? And your daughter? Is she all better now and through with PT?

Keep warm and dry today, gals. We have more cold on the way. Supposed to back in the teens tomorrow afternoon. brrrrr. time to restock the wood for the stove.

quiltingtrish
January 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Happy Thursday everyone!
Up and almost ready to walk in to school today. Think there will be lots of slick spots out there but at least the freezing rain isn't coming down and I'll get there dry.

Odie needs some prayers. He is really not liking the Marines right now and wants out. Too many past drug addicts, too many smokers, too many smart aleck kids right out of high school - he is 21 so it makes a difference in the maturity level - and we have been writing letters encouraging him to get through this phase and the next and it should get better. He'll graduate from this phase on Feb. 1st so we are hoping he keeps his sanity until at least then. And he's a good kid with a square head on his shoulders so we know he won't do anything crazy like some of them would.

Katie is done with PT and waiting on her mobile knee brace. We just need a day without snow and ice to get down to Carlisle an hour away over mountains to go get it and get it fitted.

More snow coming tonight into tomorrow - 4-5 inches - I'm hoping to have off tomorrow. Or I'll be plugging through the stuff to get to school. Thankfully it only takes me 1/2 hour to walk there.

Stay warm and safe everyone. Winter can't last forever.

Hugs,

shell.scraps
January 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Today is pajama day at the school I work at...so I have the french toast casserole in the oven baking while we are all getting ready for the day.

I'm hoping my husband doesn't get snowed in in Boston...he's been gone all week and I need a break. I would never survive being a single parent.

Due to all the snow last week they have announced the snow make up days for the public schools....wish my kids' school would follow suit and let us know...since they go to private school we have had some interesting ways to make up days in the past....3 years ago when the bird flu thing was running rampant we had to make up school on saturdays. That really sucked!!

Hope everyone has a great thursday!!

Sandy Navas
January 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Odie needs some prayers. He is really not liking the Marines right now and wants out. Too many past drug addicts, too many smokers, too many smart aleck kids right out of high school - he is 21 so it makes a difference in the maturity level - and we have been writing letters encouraging him to get through this phase and the next and it should get better. He'll graduate from this phase on Feb. 1st so we are hoping he keeps his sanity until at least then. And he's a good kid with a square head on his shoulders so we know he won't do anything crazy like some of them would.

Trish, if you talk to Odie PLEASE let him know he has a lot of people out here pulling for him. I served in the Womens Army Corps during VietNam. I entered basic training when I was 23 years old!! I remember clearly spending two long, grueling months, suffering with the immaturity of others who just couldn't hack it. It is definitely tough going . . . not because of the training they put you through, but having to deal with those who are sloughing off and unwilling to pull their share because 'it's too tough' or "Hey, man, I got rights!"

Give me a break. The majority of young people with whom I have come in contact, say in the last 10 years, cannot face up to the true responsibilities of life and have no respect for authority. Likewise they have no respect for other humans and it does make you wonder if there was a calling to join the military or if Mom and Dad or Grandpa . . . pushed and directed them that way to help break the nonsense and get some true sense of the world driven into them.

Be PROUD, be VERY PROUD of your Odie. He's a diamond in the rough and he will make it. And let him know that your friends here are proud of him, too. While you are at it, give yourself a great big pat on the back. He is who he is because of his family and the examples they showed him as he was growing.

craftjunkie
January 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hello everyone. I am new on here, and have been ready and learning. It is wonderful to have a place to go and learn about quilting.
I love ready all of your post.
I have been homeschooling for the past 20 years, and my youngest has just graduated. He is in his 3rd year of college. Oh what a big change for my family. So this is why i have more time to quilt, and do other crafts.
Thanks all for your vast knowledge, that you are all so willing to share.

Lydia

sewsoft
January 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Ladies, I'm off and running with Laundry and Schooling. :icon_mooooh:

janluna
January 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Trish what Sandy said. We are praying for Odie and your family too. He will go far. I do believe that they should be able to quit when they want though. Sometimes we find out this isn't what we want to do and it would be better if we could go in a different direction.
Whatever happens we are praying for God's will for Odie and for his sanity. lol
Blondie thanks. I feel better than I have in quite a while. I am planning on cutting more today. When my back gives out, I'll stop and rest. Thanks honey.
Love you all and praying for you to have a great day, Jan L

middlesis1966
January 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Afternoon all. I just got back from morning BS with my mom. I normaly do it on Thursday night but thought since we are suppose to get more snow I better go in the AM. It was nice. I have been blessed with a family that isnt blood, but they are one of the best group of gals I could ask for. Next to you all of course.
Blondie, I know a few families who home school and they are the most well behaved kids I know. I have been blessed to know these kids and wouldnt have it any other way.
Trish Odie is in my prayers.
Jan feel better soon.
Have a happy snowday all.

debi weaver
January 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Enjoyed this thread. Thanks for letting us share in your lives and pray for each one!
Blondie - praying you see Light in your day at the shop. Seems like your home school experiences encourage others. Isn't it great to be on the other side of such a big endeavor!
Sandy - praying for Odie. I've told many kids that Daniel's parents never chose Babylon's captivity for him, but they sent God with him through their training in younger years, and according to his story he even dared to stand in a den of lions for his convictions! We cannot choose our kids' paths, but we send them with God's protection and care. I'll pray for Odie to stand firm and focused.
Home schooled my own little one and she is a big success in her favorite career. Counselled many others and donated my time to guide 13 other kids through home schooling. Now I work at one convention to counsel many families and encourage them on this path! It is like a big reunion each year to see their successes! Best wishes to your daughter with 6! God bless her for her care and concern for our next generation!

Blondie
January 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/PrimroseSue/Greetings/welk-1.jpg

Hey everyone!
Did a few usual Thursday folks and got a call out of the blue from someone I hadn't seen in years. Will be interesting to see if they come in for appt. Came home, stared in the frig for some magical idea about food. Nothing appeared, so, when hubs called on his way home I told him it was Thursday Smorgasborg. That's my lingo for leftover buffet.

I went to Joann Fabrics to pick up a few 99 cent patterns and then purchased a few yds of flannel - I like a thin flannel for table runners. Anyway, by the time I got home I realized I was overcharged for the flannel. I called to let them know - I am NOT driving back out there tonite. It is in another town. I could kick my big butt for not realizing it while being rang up. The gal was real chatty about the full moon and how the moon speaks to her and did I notice how beautiful "she" was. Twilight Zone music began to play in my head and totally blurred out my total until I got home. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The temps are really dropping all afternoon and now i feel the need to put my cold feet on my hubby's back. Don't tell you that you haven't been tempted. Sometimes I do that just to hear him squeal like a little girl. Other times he giggles like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Either way, it's just plain fun to be married to him again since he is back at work. Sigh. It takes so little to keep me happy.

I am tickled to know that there are so many committed home schoolers here. My oldest teaches college now in NY state - physics and astronomy no less. No bad for a kid that got his start in home schooling. See, I believe strongly that kids love to learn! As a twig is bent, the tree grows.

Trish, still keeping everyone in my thoughts daily.
Jan, I am proud of you. You just can't keep a good gal down!
Debi, what a wonderful legacy you began with your precious daughter. Talk about good sowing good seed! YAY!

Off to find a nice warm back to put these freezing dawgs on.

SuzyQue
January 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
After another 6-7 inches of snow, more plowing, more cold! Another home school mom here! I have home schooled our 3 children for over 14 years now. Down to the last one! It is a little sad, but with just a few years left, I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up! The more I read on here, the more I think I just want to be retired and quilting the day away! AHHHH! Then maybe I could get some projects completed!

Prayers for Odie and Katie. Prayers for your back, Jan. Prayers for your cold feet, Blondie. Hope you find a warm place to put them. Prayers for safety for all in this cold and snowy winter. Off to sew a snowman banner!
SuzyQue

patticakes
January 21st, 2011, 12:53 AM
It's late but I thought I would check in anyway. Wonder if anyone actually reads these later ones?
You brought me back to simpler days with your picture of Lawrence Welk, thanks for the giggle Blondie. Next thing you know the Lennon Sisters will be on here too!
I really hope Odie can hang in there. Don't really know much about being in any branch of the service but my brother served in both the Army and the Navy and has a great education in the medical field because of it. It must be so hard on you Trish knowing he is struggling with it.
Lydia - just wanted to say howdy. This is such a great place to be inspired about quilting and enjoy the pleasure of getting to know each other even though we are so far apart.
I did manage to get my quarter circles cut and got a few sewn on the fan blocks but I am so tired and gonna call it a night. Supposed to be below zero in the morning so I am sure it will be even harder to drag myself out of bed until I realize it is FRIDAY!
Nighters all....

shell.scraps
January 21st, 2011, 01:29 AM
yes someone reads the later ones.....and we don't care if you make typos cause you're tired LOL..

SuzyQue
January 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
Since it is still Thursday, I hope it is okay to post later in the day. Sometimes the schedule does not allow me to get to it earlier. I read them at all times of the day and night, depending on whenever I can get online. SuzyQue

sewsoft
January 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
BRrrrr it's -11 right now. :icon_shake: I can't take this anymore

janluna
January 21st, 2011, 04:14 AM
Well it's supposed to go to the minus o degrees around here. Tomorrow they are calling for -10. We are supposed to have a week of sub zero temps. It's been a hard winter. Spring is only a couple of months away now though, so we'll get through it. We always do. Have a good one. Hugs, Jan

toggpine
January 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM
It looks like several of us read the later ones! For those of us on the left coast it's not as late as you might think!

Sorry to hear that you all are still fighting the cold & icky weather farther East. It has been overcast and chilly here. Pretty much standard winter fare for the Pacific Northwest. More rain is on the way though.
Still fighting the cold thing. Earlier today I thought my eyeballs were going squeeze out of my head there was so much pressure up there. Ugh!

Still no sewing. I haven't felt much like doing anything anyway. I did get a commission for two of the Funky Friends stuffed animals! Whoo Hoo! That does mean I'll have to get the sewing machine up and running though.

Jan, I am so glad to hear that you are able to be nearly pain free. Take it easy girlfriend.

Trish, there are 1001 cliches that I can think of for Odie. We know it is hard. He is there for a reason and he can't help it if his mother raised him right. Job didn't have it easy either, but he was richly rewarded in the end.

Sewsoft, I hope you got caught up on your laundry. I think I only have one more load before the baskets are empty. I'd say keep warm, but we have had that talk before, and I think you'd only be happy sleeping in front of our woodstove!
Middlesis, I am glad you got your BS in for the week! That gave me a bit of a chuckle, but I'm a smart a$$ anyway.

I thought about homeschooling, but I don't have the degree in speech & audiology that help my daughter with her hearing loss and related speech problems. She loves going to pre-school and we work with her here at home. I am hoping that by staying involved I can get the best of both worlds.

I need to wrap this up so I can get some shut eye and take another swing at this pesky cold.
Until tomorrow!
Cathy

quiltingtrish
January 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Well, of couse there are lots of us that read late into the evening. Me included! I was on late last night but was too tired to reply - had to hit the bed.

Hugs,