PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Jean! You are a sweetheart!

RiverMomm
April 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
A while back I was making a quilt to give away to a cancer patient. I posted the trouble I was having with the backing (think folds, pin tucks, etc. galore!). I was stressed because I had a to get the quilt finished and in the mail. I live in Canada and let's just say the mail can take its own sweet time to get where it is going. I realized that I was going to have to rip all the quilting out and no way it would get to St. Louis in a timely manner.

Here is where Jean SuperJellyRollQueen came to the rescue. She offered to give and hand deliver one of HER quilts to the lady in need. Now, just so you know, Jean didn't know this woman. Well, neither do I, for that matter. But she was touched by the woman's plight of having to be in St. Louis for 5-6 weeks of chemo/radiation and only going home on the weekends. She is having to stay in a hotel, all by herself because her husband has to stay home and work and can only come and get her on the weekends.

Jean took the quilt to a downtown hotel and made sure the woman got her quilt hug. So sweet of her!

Jean . . . Mary loves her quilt! She texted a picture of it to her brother and SIL (my friends in Georgia who told me about Mary). They love the quilt too. But what we all love even more is someone took the time, effort and love to share a quilt hug in a time of need.

Thank you.

You can see the quilt in Jean's You Tube video on how to make a Jelly Roll Quilt at around the 5:30 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpcG32zQeU

GinnyKNC
April 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Jean is a beautiful person :) Thank you both for caring for this person who needed that quiltie hug. Blessing to you both. And Jean as usual the quilt is beautiful!

Judy~Ann
April 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
Dear Jean and Vicky.... as the grandmother of two cancer patients... I can tell you first hand how wonderful your gift was. During chemo and radiation ... it is those thoughtful gifts, words, even a hug that makes all the difference. So from my heart to you yours... a huge thank you.

Jess1377
April 3rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
That is so heartwarmingly wonderful!!! A very beautiful quilt as well :)

Lisapc
April 3rd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Jean is amazing and it shines through in her work.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you, I want you to know that this is the LEAST I could do as a payback to Vicky for all the help she did for me in helping me post my You Tube videos. She worked DAYS on the projects! I needed to pay it forward to her for her kindness. We are all glad that poor Mary who has to go through this cancer treatment alone can wrap up in something besides ugly hospital quilts while she gets her chemo. I've been in those rooms with my late DH, and you spend so many hours and feel so rotten, something bright could cheer you in some small way.

I was glad to do it, Vicky! Glad Mary liked it!

cyndiofthevortex
April 3rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
What a wonderful story!

Winniesfriend
April 3rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Beautiful quilt, thats the best thing about this forum the wonderful generous people on it, OK I know I have said it before just love the people here. Thank you Jean and Vicky.

pcbatiks
April 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
That is so heartwarmingly wonderful!!! A very beautiful quilt as well :)

I agree...........so good to hear these stories.

middlesis1966
April 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Oh Jean that was a very wonderful thing you did! I can tell you first hand how much having a warm blanket during treatment is. The treatment room is so cold to be in. Your anxiety levels are intense. Then to top it off, during certain treatment they have you eat ice to help stop mouth sores, brrr. They do whatever they can to make you comfortable, but those blankets are never warm enough! This is just the ticket that she needed to give her that huge hug!! Bless you!

BTW I love love that Aviary quilt! Your right that hot pink really made it pop and it is stunning!

auntiemern
April 3rd, 2013, 08:42 PM
That is just how our wonderful Jean is. So glad Mary got her quilt, and loves it. The quilt she took her is so very pretty.

Divine Daisy
April 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Our Jean is the best!

shannonsaulter
April 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
Jean your a keeper! Such a sweet gift and a warm gesture from you both!

Sandy Navas
April 3rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
One of the most wonderful things about this forum is to meet with those who can step in and help when help is needed. There is not a more caring, loving, wonderful group around. And our Jean sure fits all those descriptions!! She rocks - and YOU rock, too.

meemeecyn
April 3rd, 2013, 09:56 PM
What a beautiful thing for both of you to do! That quilt is gorgeous, too. Jean, did you go to Paducah yet? Edit: I meant seeing Eleanor Burns, but just saw your thread. Will go read it now. (Eyes cast downward!)

Jean Sewing Machine
April 3rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
What a beautiful thing for both of you to do! That quilt is gorgeous, too. Jean, did you go to Paducah yet?
Paducah is the last week of April.

bkthomas
April 3rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
Jean is one of the most gracious Ladies I have ever known about - She truly is a Queen!
......and that quilt is Sweet!