PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Fabric Hoarders

**MIGNONNE**
September 13th, 2009, 01:04 AM
First off I am new here. My name is Mignonne and I have been quilting for a little over a year. I also digi-scrap and blog. I have made several quilt projects but find myself buying far more than I will ever actually be able to use! :shock:

I love collecting. I love having pieces of lots of pretty fabrics. Of course I have great intentions to one day use everything I buy. ;)

There is a collection that has five fabrics in it that I love. I am torn between buying a 1/2 yard each or 1 yard each. I am wondering what quantities do you try have on hand? Do you buy mostly FQ, 1/2 yards, full yards? How much on average do you need to do a quilt top? TIA!

shell.scraps
September 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hello!! Welcome to MSQC.....

As far as buying amounts....I usually get a half if I like it....a full if I love it....and 3 if I can't live without it. I tend to buy in spurts...when the mood hits me...kinda like how I quilt LOL....

for quilt tops I have used everywhere from 2 yards to 6.....it all depends on what I'm doing...if there is a lot of sashing....and what size....

**MIGNONNE**
September 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't think about the fact that I can add sashing to make it go further. Thank you for that tip!

toggpine
September 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Welcome Mignonne! This is a fun place to ask questions and get tips.
As for your fabric. I think we prefer to call it a "Stash" instead of a hoard. It sounds better, and much less sinister.
It depends on the price for me. If it is a great deal, then I tend to get more. If I love it and it is expensive, I'll get a smaller piece 1/4 to 1/2 yd., but find a block pattern that will show case those special cuts. Sashing is also a great way to make your quilt bigger without a lot more blocks. I have also found that there are several "scrappy" patterns that will allow me to use up even the smallest slices of my favorite fabrics.
:oops: My stash is a bit out of control at the moment. I have finally put my fabrics together with the pattern or magazine that I want to make the quilt out of. Now to just get to finishing up the ones that I have already in progress, so I can get to the ones I have all of these great ideas for! I am on a fabric diet. :cry: I want to make a huge dent in the fabric I already have, but I have very little self control when faced with all of those lovely colors of fabrics.

sewhot
September 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Great question Mignonne......

and I love the responses so far.
It is so hard to know how much to buy for myself as well. Then someone told me that they think the charm packs will one day be collector's items. I was like, "Oh, thanks...now maybe I will become a 'hoarder'." Hahahahah It makes sense though, because you will be able to see the trends, much like you recognize 30's fabric. How great would it be if our great grama's had a pack of 5 inch squares to pass down to us!?!??! (more like boxes and boxes of them, let's be honest) :lol:

I know, I know a whole other topic. Geeze, I love fabric. :)

stitchywoman
September 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
How great would it be if our great grama's had a pack of 5 inch squares to pass down to us!?!??! (more like boxes and boxes of them, let's be honest) Haha!That's funny Sarah!

I'm a full yard kinda girl myself! If I love it enough to buy it without a purpose and I'm actually out spending money ;) I'll definitely get a full yard! But I like shells theory too!
As far as buying amounts....I usually get a half if I like it....a full if I love it....and 3 if I can't live without it.I may have to right that on my palm next time I go fabric shopping!

Rosie
September 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
LOL you ladies always crack me up! I love how you call it a fabric diet!!! I'm on a real diet and it's hard enough as it is. I can never imagine restricting my fabric intake. I love buying Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes because they're fat free and calorie free. And I agree, I would always buy a whole yard or more of fabric (actually it's done in meters here in Canada) that way you can always be sure you have enough.

momawake
September 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I usually buy 1/2 yds because it "seems" like I'm spending less money. ;) And it "seems" like I'm not really adding as much fabric to my already piled-high stash. As with most other crafters (doesn't matter which craft) I think the stash is just a given. It's just part of the creativity--to have materials available.

My favorite part of any craft seems to be shopping. It's so hard to resist all the luscious fabrics. I'm sure my husband is happy about that. :?

I discovered a name for this: SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy).
This was part of the editor's note in the June '09 issue of Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting magazine.

stitchywoman
September 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
HAha :lol: I love that we can each have a SABLE I wonder which one costs less?

toggpine
September 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
My guess is that I could have bought the fur coat easily with the $ I have invested in my stash. Although I am sure I would not enjoy it as much as my lovely stacks of cottons, flannels, and fleece. Besides, I can cut these up and make great gifts to warm other people in mind and body. I am pretty sure I couldn't bring myself to to that with the fur coat.

stitchywoman
September 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
So true toggpine! I think I agree that the Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy is a much preferred version! Besides I don't go anywhere that I could even use a fur coat, but my quilts I love! Everyone of them!

Natalie
September 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Fur is cruel...quilts are NOT! :lol: :lol: :lol: We love quilts, and fabric!

stitchywoman
September 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? :oops:

toggpine
September 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I am not going to go down those roads. I say we just stick with the quilting. That is something we can all agree on, well, most of the time!

shell.scraps
September 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Seriously Nat? I didn't know you felt this way or that I was getting into the politics of this stuff? :oops:

oh I didn't take it as political...I just thought she was being sarcastic???

let's just get back to THE FABRIC!!! I mean really....is there room for anything else??? I think not... :mrgreen:

stitchywoman
September 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks shell! Sidetracked for a moment but we all must remember the fabric is king. :lol:

sewhot
September 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM
you girls are so funny! I am SURE she was joking!! :oops:

Annababy
February 9th, 2017, 02:18 PM
If I need just a little, I buy a yard. If I need a little more, 2 yards. It's called fabric math!

Star lover
February 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM
My fabric math never works properly. My addiction is beyond SABLE! When I love it - 3 yards. Works for borders, binding, in the blocks themselves. Try to figure early on (not much luck) what I'll be doing, and if I can, buy the yardage for the backing. So many times I've run across the yardage and what was this for . . .? So now I try to keep track of what of what I want to do. But more often, I change gears. The backing usually still works. Fabric rules in my basement .. . . Sewing room. But oh so pretty and comforting. Love it all. So my math changes every time I see something I can't live without. My husband is an enabler, which doesn't help, but so sweet he understands.

Mimi_Howard
February 9th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Annababy's math works for me too! Except for when I am in one of those "open to the public" fabric warehouses.. well I forget how to count 1, 2, 3.. more like 2, 4, 6, 8 when it comes to yardage. BUT I must say I am learning.. buying 8 yards of a theme fabric, well lets just say I have made way TOO many things with Ninja Turtle fabric! We are down to a love/hate relationship. Almost gone thank goodness!

Annababy
February 9th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Marshall Dry Goods doesn't count. Just buy as much as you can!:lol:

cathym
February 9th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Whichever you decide to buy, when you go to use it, you'll find you need an extra quarter yard at least! That seems to be a quilting law. : )
I used to buy fat quarters but have found I use yardage much more often. I also used to buy a half yard, but only used that for small wall hangings and I don't make those much anymore. Now, I buy a yard if it's regular price and can use it in one of the 5 yard cut patterns or for kid quilts. I tend not to be a real scrappy fan.
if there's a big sale, my rules change. : ) Our great quilt shop just closed : ( and the prices were unbelievable. I bought mostly 3 to 5 yards for focus fabrics and backs and 1 yard of some solids or cute kid's fabric to expand my stash.
Also, I've learned if I buy a precut I should buy enough coordinating fabric for borders and binding at the same time because the fabric has often been unavailable when I've gone to sew it. I have too much fabric, but when I'm doing a quilt, I often find I need another piece to coordinate. : )
One other thing, make sure you buy some lights and darks. Mediums tend to be the most beautiful, but in quilts, the contrast is what makes thing things pop.

QuiltingRN
February 10th, 2017, 01:15 AM
I Love Fabric and my stash is definitely SABLE! When I see fabric I like I buy a yard sometimes 2 yards. I like bright colors and I always have lots of Kona black on hand to mix with it.
Sew Expo is coming up so I have been trying to curb my fabric addiction, at least until Expo, where I will most likely spend $$$$

Love Fabric!

lourixe
February 10th, 2017, 07:30 AM
This is a really old thread that got mysteriously upped, but the info is still valid. I love scrappy quilts and I am on a budget, so I usually buy half meter yardage, unless it is a large print I intend to use for a border. For me it is funnier to use four different red prints in the same quilt, than a constant red throughout, for instance.

Carol336
February 10th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I'm a full yard girl....and if I really love it 2 or 3 yards. Funny but sometimes when I'm tyding up my stash and I see those 2 or 3 yards lengths, I find myself wondering "oh my, what was I thinking" - LOL. I find that my tastes changes with the seasons sometimes. Oh well I guess that puts me in the SABLE category!!!