PDA

View Full Version : First Seder

Meli
March 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM
My friend Laurel called me in February to tell me someone at her church was hosting a Seder (Passover) for the women in the congregation, and making all kinds of comparisons to Christianity, how the symbolism in the Passover celebration points to Christ, etc. She does this with her family every year and wanted to share. Ok, so far so good. Laurel, whose mother and Grandmother were raised Jewish but later converted to the LDS faith (Mormon), was up for getting in touch with her roots. My mother's family was Jewish, so Laurel asked if I could come along. Long story short, the Haggadah (the text that guides you through the service), was filled with stupid songs. The song about the 10 plagues was set to the tune of "This Old Man, He Played One." Believe me when I tell you there was NOTHING traditional or Jewish about this event. Except the Matzo Ball Soup and Kugel, which Laurel and I provided.

It was the first Passover experience for either of us, and it really was upsetting. So we hatched this plan to invite some friends to my house and do it ourselves do it properly.

Tonight, we gathered with our husbands and a few other friends around my large dining table. It was covered with my best linen tablecloth, my best china, crystal candlesticks. We prepared traditional Jewish dishes like roast chicken and sweet potato kugel. We gathered together at this beautiful table and each took turns reading from the Haggadah, learning about the traditions of our ancestors. And when we read about the Israelites fleeing Egypt, we compared it to the early Mormons -- my husband's ancestors -- being driven out of Nauvoo, Illinois.

This was a very calm, soothing, moving experience for me, and I know it was for Laurel as well. I am grateful for my friends, my husband, my ancestors, and my beliefs. Tonight, I ate a meal similar to our Savior's last supper. Sunday, I will go to church and worship and be filled with the wonder of God's love for me, be humbled by the knowledge that I contributed to my Savior's suffering in Gethsemane, and be eternally grateful for the blessings of the Atonement. And then I will share another meal, this time with family.

Truly, my heart is overflowing.