PDA

View Full Version : Kenmore 19106 machine

EmmaB
March 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Good morning all!!

I was checking my email this morning and I received one from Tuesday Morning (love that place). Anyway, they are advertising a Kenmore 19106 machine for $59.99. Regular price was $149.99.

I told myself I was not going to buy a machine and just use my mom's but if this is a good machine for a beginner at a good price it would be hard to pass up.

I would really appreciate your experienced honest opinions please. I know absolutely nothing about sewing machines!

kelliedi
March 27th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Emma I personally don't have this machine but i googled it and read reviews. It seems that it is waht i call a 50/50 machine. One works great the next doesn't. If you want i have an extra machine sitting in my sewing room that just got cleaned I can bring to you on the weekend of the 6th. It is a brother. I can send you pics. Just let me know.

Lisapc
March 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Jean has a couple of these machines if I am remembering correctly. I have considered buying it myself. It is also a machine that one of the teachers on youtube did a recommendation video of. She calls it a workhorse and I wish I could remember her name. I would take the free machine that Kellie has so generously offered you before spending the money though. This is an amazing gift.

EmmaB
March 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Wow! as Lisapc described that is a most generous offer! I would love some pictures! What model is it?

kelliedi
March 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM
it is a real basic model but it does a great straight stitch only thing about it it doesn't have top load bobbin. This is a true starter model but you are welcome to it.

EmmaB
March 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM
This next question is going to show you just how much I know about sewing machines, lol.

I know what the bobbin is but I don't know the reason it is good to have a top load bobbin.

In the past when I have sat down at a sewing machine (the bobbin was not a top load, I don't think), I would have bobbin issues. The machine I've been playing with at my mom's is a top load bobbin. Could you tell me the difference?

EmmaB
March 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM
disregard my top load bobbin question. I just looked at a few youtube videos and I guess it wouldn't really make a difference? Maybe more of a preference issue I guess. and if I get stuck I can pull up a youtube video and get it sorted out.

I humbly accept your offer Kellie as I really don't have the extra $$ to be spending on a machine anyway!! PM me with details and I would be glad to meet you somewhere on the 6th.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Jean has a couple of these machines if I am remembering correctly. I have considered buying it myself. It is also a machine that one of the teachers on youtube did a recommendation video of. She calls it a workhorse and I wish I could remember her name. I would take the free machine that Kellie has so generously offered you before spending the money though. This is an amazing gift.It is exactly the same machine as the Janome Hello Kitty base model ( aqua color) and the Janome 3128 which I used to sew heavy upholstery cushions at my sister's house with. It weighs 11 pounds and does a few basic stitches. The lady Vanessa who does the Crafty Gemini tutorials bought it for her 3 year old son who wanted to learn how to sew. My grandkids can use theirs with ease. Vanessa recommends, and I second the recommendation, have at least a 6-8" tail of thread pulled under the presser foot when you start to sew, because it has a tendency to draw the thread up and out of the eye of the needle if the thread is too short.

I spent almost as much as this on a toy Singer that sewed three inches and then wouldn't sew any more. I know it isn't perfect, but it makes a good stitch, and is a good machine for the money, great for travel( I loaded it in my suitcase to take it to my sister's house in Oregon). If you get one, I hope you feel it is worth the money, I am very happy with my two machines that are mechanically the same. It's not going to have the feel of a high end machine, but it is made by Janome, and their machines are generally well made and work well.

Because of its size, don't expect to free motion quilt a king size quilt on it. It is about the same size as Kellie's Brother machine. I'd take her up on that offer in a minute!

cahanes
March 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Kellie that is a generous offer and so happy for you Emma, that you can get a nice machine for free. Way to go Kellie, we need to recruit more sewers to this forum, lol.

Regarding the Kenmore 19106, I'll post comment since I'm giving it a try and others might benefit from the info. I saw the You Tube video by TheCraftyGemini, video name "BEST Sewing Machine for Beginners!". She strongly recommends this machine, especially at the great value price of $59.99 at Tuesday Morning. She claims it is a 'workhorse' and is identical to her small Janome and she shows they look alike.

My beginner machine died and I decided to upgrade to a quilters model Janome at many more $$$$. I love my Janome, but it is heavy and I was concerned with toting it to classes so thought I might look around for another inexpensive good machine for classes. Then I saw Crafty Gemini's video and I checked our local Tuesday Morning and they had it. The clerk assured me I could take it home and if I didn't like I could return within 45 days.

The machine is nice and solid built. It does just the basic stitches, including zig zag, has a reverse button and a top load bobbin. The stitching is nice. It comes with a couple of presser feet - zipper and another I don't recall. Definitely a beginner machine but will do the trick for quilt piecing and straight stitching, but I do miss the auto needle up/down. It is a bit loud too, but probably expected for machine at this level. It's also a good size to teach a child to sew. I'm still undecided if I will keep, but may do so to teach my granddaughers when the time comes. I hope this is helpful!

Carla

Wendymphx
July 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Wow, I realize I am quite a bit late to this thread but wanted to post I case anyone else co es across it in a search as I did.

After viewing Vanessa of Crafty Gemini demonstrating this machine I had to show it to my husband. He wanted a machine for his own use since I have asked him to PLEASE not use my Janome to sew his tack and leather crafts! For the money he has exactly the machine he desires. He likes that it is very basic and therefore not confusing to him. He runs nylon cord through the bobbin and machine to sew light leather, suede, denim and fabrics of the like.

He had made alterations to a suede vest, numerous riding pads (horseback riding tack), and multiple other pieces of tack as he customizes gear to meet his physical requirements as well as his horses! He has sewn a heavy duty plastic cover for his cotaswesleep outdoors in warmer months and are prone to monsoon storms. We have mended nylon dog leashes and the like, he created burlap and plastic sand bags and the list goes on!

I have recommended this machine to others for its simplicity as well as endurance. I like that it is made my Janome, he couldn't care less so long as it works.

The ONLY issue I have with this machine is how do I get my husband out of my sanctuary??? :icon_heh:

Jean Sewing Machine
July 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Wow, I realize I am quite a bit late to this thread but wanted to post I case anyone else co es across it in a search as I did.

After viewing Vanessa of Crafty Gemini demonstrating this machine I had to show it to my husband. He wanted a machine for his own use since I have asked him to PLEASE not use my Janome to sew his tack and leather crafts! For the money he has exactly the machine he desires. He likes that it is very basic and therefore not confusing to him. He runs nylon cord through the bobbin and machine to sew light leather, suede, denim and fabrics of the like.

He had made alterations to a suede vest, numerous riding pads (horseback riding tack), and multiple other pieces of tack as he customizes gear to meet his physical requirements as well as his horses! He has sewn a heavy duty plastic cover for his cotaswesleep outdoors in warmer months and are prone to monsoon storms. We have mended nylon dog leashes and the like, he created burlap and plastic sand bags and the list goes on!

I have recommended this machine to others for its simplicity as well as endurance. I like that it is made my Janome, he couldn't care less so long as it works.

The ONLY issue I have with this machine is how do I get my husband out of my sanctuary??? :icon_heh:give him his own sewing room! Maybe in the horse barn! I bought my Kenmores as a potential classroom machine for when I open my sewing school in the future. But it is good to know that it can handle the heavy stuff like leathers and canvas.

slamb13
July 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
My original sewing machine is a Kenmore. I agree that it's a workhorse! Very basic, but it works like a champ and mine never needed service in 10 years!