PDA

View Full Version : A Pay It Forward and a Question

pcbatiks
March 26th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I got a PIF in the mail yesterday from MayinJersey..........a box of barley! I found a soup recipe recently that I wanted to try & it called for barley. I could not find any. So after reading a post where May mentioned a barley recipe..I ask her about it........she took time to buy me a box and send it to me! :) Thanks again May! Now my question........some recipes call for quick cooking barley and some call for pearl barley. Does it matter which one you use in a recipe? I have never cooked with barley before so I was just wondering..........I don't won't to mess up a pot of soup. Thanks for your help.

Swedish leo
March 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+cook+soup+with+barley

Could this be a help?

Meli
March 26th, 2013, 05:19 PM
My only advice to you is that too much barley will soak up all your liquid and leave you with a gelatinous blob.
Or so I've been told :D

K. McEuen
March 26th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I've made a Beef Barley Soup, I think from a recipe from this forum, and I used regular barley. I think the quick cooking maybe like Minute Rice, and the regular like regular rice, not sure.

BTW, the soup was wonderful.

pcbatiks
March 26th, 2013, 05:32 PM
My only advice to you is that too much barley will soak up all your liquid and leave you with a gelatinous blob.
Or so I've been told :D

Meli.......I'm guessing this has happened to you. :D

Karen........thanks for mentioning the forum recipe.........I will look it up.

SandyWhite
March 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I use barley in my soups or just plain all the time. I get it at my local health food store. I've never used the quick cook kind but since it takes less time it might come in handy.

Here's just one site with lots of recipes.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/hearty_barley_recipes

Tanya D
March 26th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Awfully sweet of May to send you some.

I have a friend who is very sneaky at getting me just what I want. She's very intuitive when we have conversations. I'll mention something just in passing, you know something like I like Starbucks or I shop at such and such a store. Next thing I know, she'll send me a gift card for whatever place I mention. She always makes me smile.

pcbatiks
March 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Awfully sweet of May to send you some.

I have a friend who is very sneaky at getting me just what I want. She's very intuitive when we have conversations. I'll mention something just in passing, you know something like I like Starbucks or I shop at such and such a store. Next thing I know, she'll send me a gift card for whatever place I mention. She always makes me smile.

Tanya........I'm all about sneaky too. :D Your friend is a keeper!

Annika......thanks for the youtube suggestion.........I didn't even think of that.

Thanks to all of you for your good suggestions.

Swedish leo
March 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDJ3qW9d8k

Interesting read about barley in the comment section on this video

MayinJerset
March 27th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Wow, took a look at the videos suggested and there are so many ways to use barley in soups and stews and as a side dish, loved the one posted by Swedish leo about how to cook barley properly. Got lucky finding the quick cooking barley as it was in the display for kosher foods for Passover. I use it in place of regular barley as it cooks quicker and the results are the same.
Check out the recipe forum as Donna (CrazyMountainWoman) posted her recipe for Beef Barley soup awhile ago. I'm going to add mine that's a bit differrent than hers and the ones in the videos. It is thick and creamy like the Mushroom Barley soup I remember some NYC diners served years ago.

Lisapc
March 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I love forum mail. I have never made that soup so I can't help. The other ladies sure know a lot about it.

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I just made beef stew in my crock-pot yesterday, and it came out great! I tossed in some baby carrots and cut-up onions, then added 1/2 cup pearl barley (that's just what's on the package... don't know what other kinds there are) and put the stew meat on top. Added 1 cup of water & cooked on low about 10 hours.

I like to use barley in place of potatoes in soups and stews; it is high-fiber, which is good for both my husband's pancreas and my colon (sorry if that's tmi :0), and I love the taste.

pcbatiks
March 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions...........I found a Chicken Barley soup recipe on youtube after Swedish Leo suggested a link. It turned out pretty good.......I didn't have a couple of the seasoning on hand but I adjusted.