PDA

View Full Version : Almost the weekend - here's Thursday

Blondie
January 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/mv_goofy-glitziegirlie72-m2433.gif

Good Morning Ladies
I know I said a few weeks ago that hubs and I were going to start a diet of some sort. Well, heckfire shoot, I am serious now. I can feel my fat spreading. I think it is all this nasty cold and snowy weather. Makes me want to eat junk, sit and sew. Now that's a combo.

DD arrived home from Charleston safe and sound. Thanking the Lord for that.

The mini quilt I made Shauna, was the wrong size! Yikes! So, I have to make another one. Got one mostly made. I will do something else with the first one. I'll try to post a pic eventually. Sometimes this site is weird about accepting uploads.

Getting ready for work; will try to check in later and get caught up on reading from last night and this morning.

Stay warm! Hubs said the news reported that there was snow in every state but Florida. I can believe it.

Onetiredmomma
January 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
All of the school districts have canceled school today so we canceled the riding center today. I'm home with the kids again, which I'm very pleased about. We leave to visit my brother and family who lives in Ky tomorrow so now I can finish packing. I didn't get to finish the top of the quilt I was working on last night, because I had a rotten headache, but maybe while the kids are napping again today I can get more done.
Have a blessed day everyone!

NM Lady
January 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Good morning all.

Started Weight Watchers last night. Didn't want to, but did it any way. I've been this size for a very long time now and knees say noooooo. So its time to get rid of the extra weight. The new point system is really different, but I'm sure I can adjust.

The weather is still cold, but no moisture so far. It is supposed to be back up in the 60's for the weekend. We sure need moisture, but I'm not really a fan of snow. We just don't handle it very well out here since it doesn't snow but maybe once a year if that.

Blondie, I'm so glad your DD made it back home.

I want to start a red/white/blue quilt top using the tumbler ruler, but want to use yardage instead of charm squares. Can anyone tell me how much material I would need for a 48 x 78 quilt (requirements for citizensam.org)? I have figured it two or three ways and come up with several different answers. I was thinking about 1 1/2 yards of 3 materials would be plenty, but not sure.

For all of those who are having health issues, hope you get to feeling better soon.

Anyway, its time to get ready for work. Hope everyone has a very blessed day.

God bless and take care.

Sandy Navas
January 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Looking out the back window this morning and seeing that bright red sun peeping over the horizon . . . and then all that cold, cold snow. In the negative numbers here this morning and for the first time in ages I am COLD. I usually don't let the cold bother me - I just stay indoors and 'chill out' - and never leave the house unless I absolutely have to. I think I've been burning the candle at both ends and not getting enough sleep . . . that's probably why I feel ready to crawl back into bed right now with the electric blanket set at BROIL. Brrrrrrrrr. So very unlike me.

I hopefully will be finishing up my lap quilt today (I've avoided it long enough), and continuing my stash organization. BTW I had an e-mail this morning from Superior Threads with a link to their YouTube recording. If you haven't seen it you may want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-kHpV9WJeQ

They also do one on what to do with your stash but believe me, I couldn't understand the words so I won't link to it.

Stay cozy. How about a big pot of homemade stew for dinner?

EsGrandma
January 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Good morning ladies,

Hope you all are staying nice and toasty warm - we're finally supposed to get some warm weather (been frigid for the last week - in the teens when we were lucky). Joined a gym yesterday (feeling the same bulge coming back) and the best part is that there is a fabric store next door - yeah!! Hope to finish a table runner today since it needs to be there by next Tuesday - Hope you all have a great day.

Sandy Navas
January 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined a gym yesterday (feeling the same bulge coming back) and the best part is that there is a fabric store next door - yeah!!

Now that is what I call ARTFUL thinking.

sewsoft
January 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hi Ladies, I hope everyone is staying warm. Like most I need to lose weigh as well. I lost about 40lb over the last few months and I have a little more to let go of. Blondie I love the goofy! I'm glad everyone is safe and sound. I will try to post a picture of my quilt block in that board if I can figure out how to.

janluna
January 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone, It's cold and snowy here today. I am holed up in a nice cozy house. I am working on the block swap. Can't wait to get it done and mailed to Suzi. Then I can't wait for the blocks to come back. What kind of pen do you sign your blocks with. Should I make a label or will that take up too much of the block? I thought about just signing the 1/4 round instead. Hugs, Jan

toggpine
January 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Jan,
A Micron Pigma pen is what I use for signing my swap blocks. It is permanent on fabrics, hardly bleeds, and will not develop a oily halo like the sharpies. Millennium also makes a pen that works the same way.

Our snow melted away with the rain over the last two days. Now everything is just soggy.

I still have some computer work to plow through. How come the fabric is singing to me like a siren when I have stuff like this to get done? It just sits there in all of it's cottony glory beckoning me to touch it and play with the color combinations. I get all of the new catalogs with the fun new patterns that inspire all kinds of ideas. Ugh!

You ladies have fun finishing up your blocks for the swap! Perhaps I"ll join in on the next one.

Take care!
Cathy

middlesis1966
January 13th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi all! Its a cold one here for sure. I get to go out in it, UGH! I was so ready to go out until I went and got the mail, then I felt the blast of cold, brrrr. But I get to go see the doctoer to remove the last drain, so that I'm looking forward to. Then it on to a normal shower, Ahhh
I hope everyone stays nice and warm during this cold snap. Sandy that stew sounds so yummy. My church family has been bringing in meals since I came home and this one meal was the most wonderful stew that I have tested. I was so sad when I got to the bottom of the pan, but it was so yummy.
Well its off to get ready for the frozen tundra, bye for now!

janluna
January 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Paula, You should ask for the recipe for the stew. And then share it with me cause my husband loves stew. He likes mine too but a new recipe would be a change.
Glad you are on the mend and are doing so well. Prayers are still coming your way though. We want no backsliding in your health!! lol Love you and God Bless, Hugs, Jan

debinmalaga
January 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Cathy, you made me laugh with your fabric in all its "cottony glory" :-).

Paula, great news about being able to get a normal shower again... good luck at the doctor's!

Keep warm, and enjoy sewing, those of you lucky enough to do so. I'm working today, ho hum, but might get time to work on my first Dresden plate tonight, woo hooo!

janluna
January 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Cathy, thanks for the info on the micron pigma pen. Where are you going to sign the blocks? I don't want to ruin the look of them with my signature. Got any ideas? Help!
This is the first time in a block swap and I don't want to ruin someone else's quilt. Thanks, Hugs, Jan L

quiltingtrish
January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hey Jan - do you have any freezer paper? If you do, put a piece behind your block before you sign it and the pen will work a little better. And then, when I'm done signing, I always heat set it with an iron.

Have a head cold here - didn't help to walk to school and back today. Now have to go out to the church and get the Sunday papers made up. Oh well. I'll be back here soon to get all warm and toasty. The wind is hardly blowing and even though it's cold out, the sun is shining. I'm sure I picked it up from the kiddos at school since they are all sneezing too.

Well, better run. Sooner I go, the sooner I get back.

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
January 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM
this one meal was the most wonderful stew that I have tested. I was so sad when I got to the bottom of the pan, but it was so yummy.

I so love the ones that have leftovers because they always seem to taste so much better the next day, too! Why is that?

Dragonfly
January 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I so love the ones that have leftovers because they always seem to taste so much better the next day, too! Why is that?
:lol: I think that is natures way of encouraging us to eat leftovers...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the subtle aromas and flavours having extra time to develop. :icon_heh:

toggpine
January 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Jan, I think that signing the block in either the arch of the colored circle or along the edge of one of the blade tops would be fine. Just remember that we WANT to see who made the blocks and don't sign them in a seam allowance! I don't think a signature takes away from a block. (Well, unless you use a broad tipped Marks-A-Lot!) It lets me know who made the block for me. In our current ATWQB Christmas swap a lot of the ladies are having us sign a signature panel. That is OK too, but I don't know who made which block without looking up the photos on Flickr.

Leftovers are almost always yummy. Some things loose their appeal by becoming opposite of their intended texture, but the flavors are usually still good. Soups, stew, and the like get a chance to settle and let the flavor bloom.

Cathy