PDA

View Full Version : Kona cottons

Sharyn J
March 22nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
I admit I'm spoiled using quality cottons for my projects, but I found Kona Cotton by Kaufman at Hancock fabrics. I bought several yards in various bright colors and some black. It was the only plain and solid colors I could find at the time. It was not the same as Kona Bay, much less expensive but I thought it would be ok. I think I paid about $7 yd. Normally, I get higher quality fabric so I knew that it was cheaper but didn't expect it to be so bad to handle.

While using the black on placemats, I found that the fabric shreds badly at the edges and made a terrific mess in my sewing area. The threads kept coming off the edge and fraying. Now, I'm afraid to use the other colors for a quilt I'm planning. I don't mind so much if a placemat falls apart after washing, but I don't want to ruin a quilt with this fabric.

I'm going to replace the other brights with a better quality. Will use this cheaper cotton for crafts. This stuff will definitely fall apart in the wash.

Lisapc
March 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
I just did the same thing with black I bought to line some totes. Ravel isn't even the word for how cheap this stuff is. The fuzz from sewing it was horrible.

I am going to buy Solids from Thousandsofbolts.com because they are very affordable their for the brand names. Shipping there is also pretty good.

LynneLeavell
March 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
I've used some cheap quality of black in some things (before I new better) and by the time I got done the fabric had faded on my hands as well as didn't hold up.

Sharyn J
March 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Wow Lisa, that site really does have very affordable fabrics by brand names. I will definitely try them out. Can't believe the prices! I've spent twice as much for some of the same fabrics! Thanks for the tip.

lilmouse
March 22nd, 2013, 03:09 PM
I have purchased Kona cottons at an LQS and had the same problem....so I don't use it at all!

Sharyn J
March 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Well, I finished the placemats I was working on. I was so sick of this black fabric, I lost interest in FMQ on them for practice, just left the squares plain. I figured: Why go to all the work when these things will probably fall apart the first time they're washed. So, l will NEVER use this Kona fabric again for anything!

Hulamoon
March 23rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
I tried to use Kona cottons when I was making kids clothes. It is way to thick and scratchy. So I stopped buying it.

mommadeb
March 23rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
I didn't know Kona and Kona Bay were two different brands. Thought they were the same. I only have a little bit of Kona cotton from Joann's, glad I didn't buy much more. I didn't get black though, navy blue, pink, orange only I think.

yeeehawterri
March 23rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
I've used Kona cotton in a lot of projects and have had no problem whatsoever with it. Quilts have been washed numerous times and held up as they should. Kona is my go-to for solids.

Sharyn J
March 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Kona Bay fabrics are high quality. You can't order them directly from Kona Bay unless you buy wholesale; however, the fabrics are carried in local quilt shops and many online fabric companies. It's an excellent premium cotton and makes wonderful quilts. it has a very soft hand.

Kona cottons are less expensive and to my knowledge made by Kaufman. They are 100% cotton broadcloth or something similar. I've never seen this carried in LQS, just at JoAnns and Hancock fabrics. In my hurry, I confused the two brands and realized as soon as I got home. I guess I should have known better when the price was $4-5 less per yd.

http://konabayfabrics.blogspot.com/

Lisapc
March 24th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Wow Lisa, that site really does have very affordable fabrics by brand names. I will definitely try them out. Can't believe the prices! I've spent twice as much for some of the same fabrics! Thanks for the tip.

Except for the daily deal I always try thousandsofbolts.com before any place else. I love that you can search by brand/type. They had a sale just after the first of the year and most of their stock was $3.29 a yard. It was amazing. I am hooked on M* for the daily and weekly specials, my favorite place for pre cuts.. Two weeks in a row I got a daily special but at least this week I got it with a daily deal.

I got the thousandsofbolts.com site from someone here on the forum, this place if full of brilliant tips.

Hulamoon
March 24th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Cool site, especially the quilt back fabric!

Tillie
March 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
I used Kona Cotton by Kaufman and it worked wonderfully for me. I used it to make a pleated purse. I bought more for a quilt and I hope it will work the same way. I had no problem with it falling apart and it felt like a higher quality of fabric. I did not buy it at JoAnn. I bought it at a Fabric shop that sells tons of fabric as well as other things such a appliances and has a pharmacy. I'm sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble with it. :):):)

Bubby
March 24th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I love Kona Cotton and have used it for many years. I have had nothing but very good luck with it, although I wouldn't use it for clothing.

mommadeb
March 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Kona Bay fabrics are high quality. You can't order them directly from Kona Bay unless you buy wholesale; however, the fabrics are carried in local quilt shops and many online fabric companies. It's an excellent premium cotton and makes wonderful quilts. it has a very soft hand.

Kona cottons are less expensive and to my knowledge made by Kaufman. They are 100% cotton broadcloth or something similar. I've never seen this carried in LQS, just at JoAnns and Hancock fabrics. In my hurry, I confused the two brands and realized as soon as I got home. I guess I should have known better when the price was $4-5 less per yd.

http://konabayfabrics.blogspot.com/

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll remember than when I need solids from now on.