PDA

View Full Version : Ending the first week of 2011

Blondie
January 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/Jarah_allergic-to-am_jcw-1.gif

Howdy do, girlfriends. Slept in a wee bit longer this morning. Doesn't happen often, hugs to hubs for walking softly this a.m.

I am almost completed now with the dresden blocks. One of the things I intend to do this week since it is apparent we shall be snowed in, is to do an inventory of my studio. Besides quilting, I do other crafting and sewing, it can get quite messy and confusing after I've been "on a roll"

Asking my prayer warriors here for travelling mercies for my DD, Sarah. She is driving to Charleston this weekend to spend a few days with her BFF. She will be coming back home on Wed.

Off to read, then make a breakfast for my Luscious Larry and then ......??????

Have a good'un

Blondie

NM Lady
January 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Good morning everyone!

Blondie, will definately say prayers for DD in her travels. Our DD is going back to college today. Please keep her in your prayers also.

Yesterday on the way to find a computer, we stopped at the quilt shop and guess what....they were having a sale!!!!! I purchased some red, white and blue camo material, red material and white material with patriotic hearts. I'm going to do a test run on some pillow cases. If they turn out, then they will go to the American Legion to give to someone. All of their patriotic material is on sale, so hoping to get back if the cases turn out. Going to look at Jenny's tutorial. Wish me luck.

Everyone have a very blessed day!

God bless and take care.

SuzyQue
January 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ditto on the prayers for a college daughter driving back to school this afternoon. We are in a winter storm watch with about 6 inches expected in the next couple of days. Prayers for her safety and for the snow to hold off just long enough for her travels! Of course, I will add your girls to my prayers, also!
NM lady---good luck on those pillowcases. Patriotic fabric for the veterans sounds like a fantastic idea to me. My father is in a veteran's home and the last few times we visited we noticed how many younger vets are there now. I am sure you will succeed in your endeavor and those vets will love them! Good luck!
Blondie----ugh! Inventory is another thing on my to-do list! Sounds like a lot of work, but fun to see all those little items tucked away waiting for someday. I guess while in the midst of cleaning and organizing that studio nook......a little inventory is in order, too. Hope you have a great day and enjoy! It looks like we are in for a snow storm for a couple of days, so perhaps I might get to sneak in that nook yet this week.
Stay warm and safe!
Suzy Que

sally
January 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Morning blessings my friends. Prayers for sure for the daughters and their travels. Jackie isin't it great getting material on sale and I love your plans for it . Very sweet. Blondie much as it is a chore taking inventory now and then is a good thing. We never really know what we have until we tally up. Don't overdo it though!
My DH went ice fishing this morning. Boys day out which suits me. After church I am going to hole myself up in my sewing room and work on my swap blocks. I have a roast with all the fixins in the crock pot so besides sewing all I have to do is some laundry. Going to be a great day!
Speaking of a great day hope you all have one. Take care cause I care!

Lola2Ace
January 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Blondie, ughhhh on the inventory! I really need to do something in my sewing room too, but just don't know where to start. Being more productive would help alot, and I'm trying to do just that.
I finished up the embroidery job on Friday and they were picked up last night, 1 charm pack used for the table topper that is now pin basted and ready to be sewn and quilted,same charm pack to do another one is waiting for me....I took a pic of the 1st one so I won't spend so much time moving blocks around, it takes me so long to decide on a layout, and I kept finding like colors too close together.
Prayers to all travelling and having snowstorms, stay warm and safe!
NMLady, so glad you stopped at the quilt shop, and a sale too....wooohooo and double that for the patriotic fabric for the veterans!
Lola

debinmalaga
January 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Lola, what a great idea - taking a picture of your laid out blocks for your 2nd runner.

I also have a daughter in college, her school is about 90 minutes away and she's been commuting a few times a week this break, working both locally and near school. She's a worker, trying to get 40 hours a week while she's off school. She's a senior in Mechanical Engineering with an Energy Specialty... I would love to know what the other students are majoring in!

Cutting my Dresden blades and listening to the news, happy as a clam in New Jersey. The sun is out and it's blindingly sunny out there in the snow, makes for good light in the sewing room.

Hope everyone has a great day. Blondie, as always loved your clip art. You always make me smile!

middlesis1966
January 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Good morning all!!! Prayers go out for all the traveling women out there.
I hope you will be able to post pics of the pillowcases. The fabric sounds so cool.
I'm sure missing church, but I have to heal up some more befor I venture out. But I did get good news. The cancer stayed in my breast so I have been very blessed, YAHOO!!!!!!
Wow all that snow. We have the cold temps so Im glad that going out in it isnt something I wanna do.
Blondie have fun doing inventory. Sometimes its like find a hidden treasure. You come across that special something you bought and it got buried. So its like finding it all over again.
Have a blessed day all.
Love, Paula

quiltingtrish
January 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Good Sunday to you all! A little too cold and blustery for me today - trying to decide if I should venture out to Dad's or not. The road up here is still a bit icy and I don't do icy - I don't like being scared in my car.
I'll decide in another hour or two.
Sewed all day yesterday and finished a table runner. Also did some free motion quilting on Zach's quilt - oh maybe I mentioned that all last night. Oh well. I'm sewing so that's good.
Inventory - should do a little rearranging here too but there is no place to rearrange - did mention to DH about giving me a room downstairs - separate with walls up so the dirt stays out. At least I got the wheels turning in his head about how to do it.
Glad you got your voice back Blondie - that is frustrating when you want to say something and it just won't come out. I bet Larry is glad it's back too. He probably missed hearing your lovely voice.
Oh Paula - glad to hear the cancer is contained. I am praying for you that it just gets out of there all together!
Prayers for safe travels for those traveling. Hope they get back to where they need to be before this next round hits. Odie is to get 1-3 inches of snow and he's doing all his training outside for the next couple of weeks. Even at night - hope they are more than in just a pup tent.
Well, better get off here and get the garbage together at least while I'm making up my mind what I want to do today. Maybe I'll get braver to drive as the time goes on.

Hugs,

janluna
January 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hello Ladies, Blondie I will pray for Sarah for a safe and uneventful trip. And also for your daughter NM.
Trish as always Odie is in our prayers. We'll ask for a special tent with heat in it for Odie. lol
Deb, your DD sounds like a hard worker! We will pray for her too. Gotta pray for the kids to be protected as they are at that age where they think they are invincible.
Paula, That is so wonderful. Congratulations that they got all of the cancer. You're still on our prayer list as well. I'm just so glad the news was good.
The ladies that are going through their items, Good job! I need to do that and more. I still have my knitting machines and yarn to go through too. I'm thinking of selling all but one of my knitting machines and have to go through and see what tools go with which machine. You tend to use different tools for different projects and everything gets all mixed up. And of course there is the slob factor. I need to do this too but first the block swap. I'm cutting my 10" blocks first and then working on the blades.
Have a wonderful day. The sun is shining here but between the temp. and the wind it's freezing!!! The snow is supposed to miss us again and go dump on Blondie, Trish, and anyone in NYC. Sorry guys but that's what the weather man says. We haven't had a good snow storm in years. I'm not bragging, I'm complaining. As long as the heat and lights and water stay on I'm happy! Love you all, Jan L

Lola2Ace
January 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Well, I decided to clean up the sewing room. Just taking a quick break and wanted to check in.
I have started a new list of 'To Do's'........WOW I have a ton of WIP's, and as I clean up in here, I am finding more of them!! I am in search of a leftover pieced border that will make a nice baby girl coin quilt and the white fabric I bought for the sashing is here too, if I find the top of my cutting table here in a bit, I will get the pieces for that cut. I have 1 quilt ready to sandwich-the binding is already cut for this one, 2 of the inner borders are done on Ace's quilt then need to cut the outer border, and that coins quilt I want to assemble and the table topper is layered and pin basted ready for the machine.......I am NOT cooking tonight...too much else to do! LOL
Paula, so glad for the good news! I will still be praying for your recovery. My Grandmother was a 2 time survivor of breast cancer, hers was fully contained in the breast and she never had to have any treatments. She lived many many years after and cancer had nothing to do with her death at 91. My prayers are that you are so blessed.
Lola

SuzyQue
January 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Deb,
My daughter is majoring in Mathematics with 4 minors, Actuarial Sciences, Business, Accounting, and Computer Science. My son is working on his PhD in Physics and his fiance is in medical school. Daughter just left for a 3 hour drive back to school. Keep praying for no snow on the way! Thanks!
Sally---don't you love the crock pot, especially on sewing days! I use mine several days a week and would use it daily if it was my choice!
Paula---praises on that cancer diagnosis! So glad to hear good news!
Off to the sewing nook! Yeah! Sunday afternoons are the best! Suzy Que

Blondie
January 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
DD arrived safe and sound in Charleston. Now I will be worried and praying for her return trip because of the weather they are calling for tomorrow and tuesday. Who says once they are grown you don't stop worrying? My granny always said that "when they are little they tromp on your feet and when they are older they tromp on your heart!"

Blessings

Dragonfly
January 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Wow, I didn't manage to get to this thread earlier and so much going on. :icon_bigsmile:
My love and prayers to all who need them and a special thought for Paula, having been there and not faired so well from the encounter I am especially pleased with your diagnosis of containment, I will be thinking of you, for now lots of hugs.

I too decided my sewing room needed some reorganisation, Sandy's photos of her new room inspired me to get off my %#&. I went out and bought some storage drawers and immediately filled them up :lol: well at least now similar things like wip's are in one place. I also bought two stacks of the plastic shoe box things and decreed I was going to sort out my scraps as per http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml well it seems all I have managed to do is make more mess. This is not strictly true, I have made progress, I have less scrap boxes and the nice plastic boxes are getting nicely ironed and cut pieces that I can use, but such a mammoth task.

Take care and quilt lots. :icon_happy:

debinmalaga
January 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Paula, that is such good news, thanks so much for sharing it!!!

NM Lady
January 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Paula that is wonderful news!!!!!

Our daughter is majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in athletic Psychology (I think on the Psychology). She made it back to her college too. If it were on the straight and narrow probably wouldn't take 5 hours, but going through the mountains, its over 5 hours.

I got one pillow case made. These aren't bad at all. Do you think that zig zagging will be ok since I don't have a serger or does anyone know of a better way to protect the seams?

Weather is still beautiful here. Prayers to all those traveling in the bad weather areas.

God bless and take care!

Lola2Ace
January 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
NMLady, zigzagging is good for the pillowcases, but I have come to prefer to do a french seam on them. It makes the side and bottom seam totally encased like the band seam, if you are doing them tube style like Jenny's video.
Just in case, here's a video showing the french seam style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLnrC9yo8tY

My measurements are a bit different from hers, but the process is the same.
My regular machine also has an overcast stitch and foot and that works well too, but zigzagging and the overcast takes longer than the french seam.
Lola

NM Lady
January 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM
NMLady, zigzagging is good for the pillowcases, but I have come to prefer to do a french seam on them. It makes the side and bottom seam totally encased like the band seam, if you are doing them tube style like Jenny's video.
Just in case, here's a video showing the french seam style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLnrC9yo8tY

My measurements are a bit different from hers, but the process is the same.
My regular machine also has an overcast stitch and foot and that works well too, but zigzagging and the overcast takes longer than the french seam.
Lola

Thank you, I'll give that a try.