PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just have to see it to believe it

K. McEuen
March 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I dropped my daughter off at work on the way back to the place I am house sitting this week. I turned down a road I don't normally drive on to come out at a light on the main street since I wanted to make a left turn. So I'm driving along and see the speed limit sign. I almost turned around and went back, but kept driving, hoping to see another one. I did ...

WTH?

Lisapc
March 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM
No way! Wow!

Iris Girl
March 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM
woah....!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 18th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Senior citizens would love this! Is this on a regular street?

K. McEuen
March 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Yes, it's a regular street, one block south of a main street in town and 2 blocks north of a high school. I have never seen an 18 mph speed limit before in my life, always goes by 5s.

auntiemern
March 18th, 2013, 07:44 PM
That really is odd. I wonder how many city council members it took to come up with it. LOL Guess we all better start paying attention, cuz they my be trying to sneak them in all over.

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM
As I'm reading this the local news is on. An elderly person with a walker got hit by a car and didn't make it. She was in a cross walk.

Very strange reading this and listening to this story at the same time.

WendyI
March 18th, 2013, 07:50 PM
That's is so bizarre....and would drive me bonkers! I would HAVE to call the city and ask...WHY??

MRoy
March 18th, 2013, 08:22 PM
That's a new one on me!

jsmetcalf
March 18th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I have seen this before in cities in which I have lived. The city says that the reason they do it is because it is an attention grabber - you tend to pay attention to them and they are usually put in places where people generally go faster than the speed limit. It apparently worked - it got your attention! :)

Cat n bull
March 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Oh wow! That's special!

I guess 20mph was just a tad too fast for them?

I need to take a pic of our street signs. We don't have Speed Bumps, we have Road Humps.

shannonsaulter
March 18th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Now that's a 1st.

GrammaBabs
March 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Okay, Okay... here's one for you... the speed limit here in my community is 15mph.... LOL
of course it's an over 55 joint... but the funny part is that the police can do nothing here, it's just"honor system"... and that'sa hoot,,, my son comes for supper on Tues night,,, and laughs his butt off when people honk and pass him,,, he says,,, MA...what up with these old folks.. don't they know it's for them!!!! I think the slowest anyone goes here is about 25...:)

K. McEuen
March 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I talked to a friend of mine last night that had seen the 18 mph limit in other areas of town. It does have something to do with bicycles.

alliek
March 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Methinks it may have been 15 and some enterprising folks painted it to look like 18???

K. McEuen
March 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Methinks it may have been 15 and some enterprising folks painted it to look like 18???

Nope, it was 18 on both signs and Carmen has seen them in other places in town too.

Lisapc
March 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I showed hubby and Mr. Skeptic thinks it is a fake sign. Then he walked away. Then he came back and said are they serious with that? What if you have gauges in your car and not a digital speedometer.

I thought, "really? we want to take a funny sign no where near us and turn it into this big discussion?"

Too funny!

K. McEuen
March 19th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I just looked it up. I figured there had to be something online about it since it's such a weird number.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bicycle-boulevard-18-miles-per-hour

Jess1377
March 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
That is so weird. I had to re-check where you said you were from, I figured it would have been here in Oklahoma.

... ah-ha! Saw your 2nd post and I guess it makes sense. It does the job of making you pay attention to the signs and your speed limit. Still weird though!

RiverMomm
March 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Maybe some sort of conversion? Like kilometers to miles per hour? i know some roads in Quebec that cater to bikers have a speed limit of 30 kilometers per hour which is close to 18 mph -give or take, I tend to guesstimate the conversions. Maybe one day I will think in K and not miles but I am still very much american in terms of gallons, yards, inches, miles, etc.

mgreen2427
March 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Wow thats a new one:lol: If you hadnt seen another one would you have turned back? I know I would have just to make sure I seen what I thought I'd seen. :icon_giggle:

pcbatiks
March 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Why not 17 or 13.........maybe 22........that looks so weird! :D

Mchelem
March 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I showed hubby and Mr. Skeptic thinks it is a fake sign. Then he walked away. Then he came back and said are they serious with that? What if you have gauges in your car and not a digital speedometer.

I thought, "really? we want to take a funny sign no where near us and turn it into this big discussion?"

Too funny!
Lol gauges have little tick lines on them in between the bigger numbers, so you would keep it in on the third tick line past the 15????

SuzyQue
March 19th, 2013, 08:26 PM
About speed bumps, that someone mentioned......in Cayman they call them sleeping policemen. We find that so funny!

phoots
March 20th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Thank you. I've had a really bad night and you actually got me to smile.

Pam in Vegas

Sandy Navas
March 20th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I hate to disagree - but I truly think the sign is UPSIDE DOWN!!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'd hurry on over and remove the top bolt so the sign will rotate down.