PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cannoli !

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Yesterday I was talking with a very sweet member about having an Etsy shop. I went to go for my link and found all my things were expired. I thanked my sweet friend and relisted a few things. All good:)

But, I just got an email from someone that want's to buy hundred's of dresses. Different fabrics and all sizes. This style dress isn't even listed, she got it from past listings. She want's a discount for buying in bulk and want's it on going and she is in Australia. I thought it was a prank. lol

The dress looks simple but I can really only handle one a day because it involves two machines. It would drive me bonkers to keep making the same thing over and over. I have a hard time saying no, so how do I tell her nicely thanks but no.

buckeyequilter
March 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
What does she want them for? Is she going to resell them?

I would be truthful and tell her that you don't mass produce your items and she is welcome to buy what is listed.

WendyI
March 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I don't know if you watch Big Bang Theory or not but if not, find the one where Penny gets the idea to make Penny Blossoms (hair clips)...she ended up making like $1.25 a day by the time she factored in all her expenses and time. LOL! It was a very good lesson. I like Shirley's advice.

So flattering though and that top is GORGEOUS! I'd buy it!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Stick by a number that you could live with and don't go over that. You are not a sweatshop. I made 35 of one style garment for a women's chorus and about went nuts doing it, and I only had 3 weeks to finish the job. Never again! I do chorus costumes for plays but never over about 15.

calicokat
March 18th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Pretend it's McDonalds & she's asked you "do you want fries with that?"

You just be business like and polite when you say no, then move on. You'll never meet her & 6 months from now you might not even remember this. We women worry too much about hurting feelings sometimes, it's the "mom" in us, LOL

GinnyKNC
March 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I like Shirley's advice too. If she wants hundreds on going then she is selling them. She wants a discount so she can make more profit while you do all the work. I'm like you and would get sick of making the same thing over and over again. But like Jean said maybe you can come up with a number that you would want to do and see if she'll be happy with that, but I wouldn't discount them.

buckeyequilter
March 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Stick by a number that you could live with and don't go over that.

Even if you did this I would ask for a 50% non-refundable deposit because you will have to purchase fabric, thread etc. You may decide to make 50 and she may accept that....but when they're finished will she still want them. If not, then you would have 50 dresses to try to sell.

LynneLeavell
March 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I agree with everone else. If she is wanting that many she is going to resell them and then to pay shipping to go international, I would tell her that you do not ship interanationally and that you don't do large quantities for resale. (That is if you don't want to do it). But if you do like Jean said give her a number and stick with it and then like Shirley said get at least a 50% non refundable deposit for your expenses. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Roxanne
March 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't have a problem telling her no. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. I would get about 5 done and wish I had had the nerve to say no. Some people enjoy making the same thing over and over, but I like variety. I seldom even make a quilt pattern twice.

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks Wendy:)

I think I have too much on my plate right now to do such a big thing as this, My Daughter is packing to move out and taking her dog ( you might of seen that post) I was going to start making these again because they did well, but not like this. lol Off to write a note. Thanks for helping:)

Cat n bull
March 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Wow, I agree this person is looking to re-sell your dresses and wants YOU to be her low earning sweat shop worker.

Just tell her you do not have a factory to produce in bulk and you are not interested in being her supplier.

I also agree that making the same thing over and over makes you want to run screaming from your sewing machines. I used to DREAD making costumes for large groups, they were the absolute WORST part of costume making.

I think the biggest groups I did were around 20 kids. That was torture by the time that 20th piece had to be sewn!

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I agree Cathyrn.

My main customers were people from the mainland for luaus, kids parties. I did a wedding set. People from here won't buy Hawaiian clothes. lol there are only a few etsy sellers that sell clothing. It's mostly jewelry. I definatly don't want to be a swaet shop. There is no harm in asking though so I will say it nicely.:)

mom4him
March 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I would tell her what you are willing to make such as 1-2 a week or what ever is comfortable for you. I wouldn't give much of a discount as she probably will have a good mark up if she is reselling.

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Well I sent her a message. What do you think? Too late now lol

Aloha Tammy
I so apprciate that you asked me this and that you like the dress. But I can't do something of this scale. I'm just a single person with a love of sewing and selling.

I hope you can find someone that can fill what you need.
Mahalo
Lorie

CountryHut
March 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING . .

I have had many many email like that -- wanting to buy 700 + t-shirt and have them shipped somewhere else . .

of course I did ALOT of research on the person - the email and such -- the person had a stolen Credit Card

be very careful -- don't get roped it . .

Roxanne
March 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM
that reply sounds perfect

CountryHut
March 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM
now in the other hand . . . I'm enjoying a left over Reuben sandwish . . *cheesecake smiles*~

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM
lol Diane. I actually hate cannoli's. I used to have to make them. uck. lol

Thanks Roxane :)

buckeyequilter
March 18th, 2013, 01:01 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING . .

I have had many many email like that -- wanting to buy 700 + t-shirt and have them shipped somewhere else . .

of course I did ALOT of research on the person - the email and such -- the person had a stolen Credit Card

be very careful -- don't get roped it . .

Something like that happened at work a while back. The lady that does receivables here...is not the brightest crayon in the box and finally came to me and said some of these cards don't work. I asked for an explanation....and I looked at her and said "do you realize that NO company and No person has that many credit cards", there was a whole list of them, now it's time to get the cops involved because we had already charged some credit cards and then the headaches began for me. Had to open an account for the funds that were charged to those cards and begin refunding folks. I told her if they give you a credit card that doesn't work ask for another and then if that doesn't work we ship the goods COD.

CountryHut
March 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
well being part italian (by injection only) -- I looooooooove good cannoli

lol Diane. I actually hate cannoli's. I used to have to make them. uck. lol

Thanks Roxane :)

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 01:44 PM
well being part italian (by injection only) -- I looooooooove good cannoli

I cant' believe you just said that! I was so embarressed in front of my dd and her friends (we were having a Sushi Party) when I said that by being japanese by injection. Oh my gosh I can't wait until she get's home to tell her someone else actully said that. I will be laughing all day at that! They still joke about it. lol

shannonsaulter
March 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Wow...sure is gratifying though..just be honest

kensington
March 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Maybe ask her for a smaller deal. Not hundreds, but a number you are comfortable with each month until she builds up her stock. Even if she resells them, you get the sale you wanted to begin with and you can keep your business going with smaller orders.

But, if you don't want to do it at all, just say it won't work for you at this time. Don't make anything up that isn't true. This is your business and it rests on your word. If you do ship internationally, don't say you don't. Esty just had a huge investigation due to seller not being 100% honest with their pages/sells. Just be honest and try to come up with a deal you and she can work! This is your chance for your Esty to soar! Go for it! She may be willing to take a smaller order to get what she wants for her shop.

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Maybe ask her for a smaller deal. Not hundreds, but a number you are comfortable with each month until she builds up her stock. Even if she resells them, you get the sale you wanted to begin with and you can keep your business going with smaller orders.

But, if you don't want to do it at all, just say it won't work for you at this time. Don't make anything up that isn't true. This is your business and it rests on your word. If you do ship internationally, don't say you don't. Esty just had a huge investigation due to seller not being 100% honest with their pages/sells. Just be honest and try to come up with a deal you and she can work! This is your chance for your Esty to soar! Go for it! She may be willing to take a smaller order to get what she wants for her shop.

I didn't know about that. I used to be a regular poster in the forums but thing's changed a bit like they alway's do. lol I had a lot of friends there, well I still do but I was gone for a year to take care of someone. So I haven't been in there to much

So anyway, she wrote back and said beautiful dresses and thanks for the reply, so my doors are open. It could be legit but I'm still not ready to shirr all day. lol

aliaslaceygreen
March 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I like Shirley's advice too. If she wants hundreds on going then she is selling them. She wants a discount so she can make more profit while you do all the work. I'm like you and would get sick of making the same thing over and over again. But like Jean said maybe you can come up with a number that you would want to do and see if she'll be happy with that, but I wouldn't discount them.
This, at the VERY least. Tell her you take pride in your work, and that time is money, and sadly making MORE pieces means MORE time, not less, therefore not LESS money... but that you are sure she can locate a factory somewhere to create hundreds of something, ongoing!!!
Geeze, some peoplle!

CountryHut
March 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM
- my daughter is the one that would be embarrassed - she would say . . MOM I can't believe you just said that . .
one time the kids had a school project and asked about their nationality . .
I told them they were . . PIG . . - - . . needless to say I got a letter from the school - informing me
that my children were not a PIG . . I sign the the note - as to receiving the note from the teacher -- and informed her they that were PIG . . and spelled it out for her - as such -- P"olish "I"talian "G"erman . <--- the kids forgot that part . . LOL*~

I cant' believe you just said that! I was so embarressed in front of my dd and her friends (we were having a Sushi Party) when I said that by being japanese by injection. Oh my gosh I can't wait until she get's home to tell her someone else actully said that. I will be laughing all day at that! They still joke about it. lol

Hulamoon
March 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM
:icon_rofl:

SallyO'Sews
March 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
How 'bout this?

"Dear _____,
Thank you for your kind note, and for your interest in my products. I truly appreciate your offer, but am afraid I will not be able to supply you with the volume of tops/dresses you are looking for. Since I am a 'one-woman-show' who makes each garment individually, it would not be in my best interest or yours for me to commit to so large a quantity. Furthermore, each of my creations is unique, and I am not at this time set up for mass production.
If at some point, you would like to order [just a few / 10 / 20] of these items, I'd be happy to discuss terms. Please understand that I will require payment in advance for all materials, with labor and shipping to be billed upon completion at USD $#### per hour, and paid prior to shipping.
Thanks again, and best wishes in your business endeavors.
With kind regards,
Hulamoon"

Hope that helps!