PDA

View Full Version : Going to DISNEY!!!!

WendyI
March 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM
My husbands company is sending him to a conference and it's being held at the Boardwalk Inn at Disney World!! And we get to go with him!! I'm so excited to be able to take my boy! He's 10 so a little old for the critters, but I hope we will have fun anyway. I'm not much of an amusement park person but I do love roller coasters...just not a huge fan of all the other money grabby stuff or anything that spins! LOL! It will be sad that my DH will have to "work" for more than half the time we will be there but Liam and I are going to have a blast!!

Anyone ever stayed at the Boardwalk Inn? Any frequent Disney visitors here who might care to share tips on how to get the most out of Disney in the short time we have without breaking the bank?? We are going in mid-October (18th to the 27th)...is the weather still nice enough to be poolside at that time of year? TIA! xox

Lisapc
March 17th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Congratulations! You are going to have a ball. Florida is hot all year so yes you will be able to use the pool. I have no advise I have never been there.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM
We went with the entire family (12 of us) did not stay at the Boardwalk, but stayed on the property, so we had full access to transportation. We got multiday park passes. You can get meal passes also, but they are expensive. We got parkhopper passes, which means you can go to more than one park in a Day. In reality, we didn't actually do that, so it wasn't worth it. Animal kingdom was my favorite place. Next was Hollywood Studios. They have updated Magic Kingdom since we were there, a big chunk was closed last summer. The rest seemed dated to me. We went to Epcot on the last day, it was lower in my book, maybe because I was done with it all by the last day. I think October will be a perfect time to go. We went in June and it was hot and it rained every day.

If you have access to a car, there are grocery stores nearby. We bought a cheap styrofoam cooler and put drinks nd snacks in our room. They had refrigerators but they weren't very good. Have a really good time planning your trip. I have a friend who is a booking agent for Disney, if you would like to talk o him, I can put you in contact with him.

pcbatiks
March 17th, 2013, 11:45 PM
We went last spring and stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter Resort and loved it. If you have to buy any tickets yourself I would recommend Undercovertourist.com. They have official discounted tickets to WDW and other attractions in the area. We bought our tickets through them and saved money. We have only been once to Disney World....but I would highly recommend getting the book.....The Unofficial guide to WDW. It has tons of helpful info.......see if your area library has a copy. I would read up on & take advantage of the Fastpass features in the parks for rides and some shows. It is a huge time saver. Read up on the most popular rides and ride those 1st...it will save you hours of time! You have got to definitely ride Toy Story Mainia at Hollywood Studios.......you might think it is too young for your son but it's not. It was our favorite ride.......you are riding thru a virtual video game and competing for points against the partner you are riding with. After thinking about all of this........I'm ready to go back!

Another must do would be the fireworks show at the end of the day at WDW.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2013, 11:46 PM
When you get ready to go, let me explain about how to get the most out of the ride tickets. Fastpass, tht's wht I was tlking out. We loved the ToyStory ride, too. It was our first ride once we got there. I rode the Rockin' Roller Coaster, not bad for a 68 year old gramma! 60 miles an hour and upside down to Aerosmith music! And I lived to tell the tale!

bkthomas
March 17th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Happy for You! Have a great time!!!!

K. McEuen
March 17th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Don't count on the "Florida is hot all year" statement. I have a friend there that was complaining of 43 degree temps a couple days ago. Florida does get freezes at times too. That's why they set out the burners in the citrus groves. The end of October will probably still be warm, but I don't know about spending a lot of time at the pool.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2013, 11:54 PM
There are also websites that help you plan each day. My son did lots of research online, and knew what to do each day.

CountryHut
March 17th, 2013, 11:59 PM
October in Orlando/Kissimmee Florida is the Perfect time to hit the park -- the temp should be beautiful - even though it will still be hurricane season here

if you get the chance -- head over to the -
Medieval Times Dinner threater 4510 W. Vine Street, Kissimmee, FL 34747 --
totally awesome show

CountryHut
March 18th, 2013, 12:06 AM
WendyI . . and if you get a chance with the hubby -- head down to Key West -- from Kissimmee, to the Keys is about a 8 hour drive
totally worth to hit the Keys - especially at sunset - hit a sunset dinner cruise
then there is -- Mile marker 1 is the most southern spot of the US

OH WAIT -- there's a youngin going -- NOT a good thing at dark 30 in Key West for kids . . LOL*~
but still MUCH to see throughout Florida . .

pdjewelrylady
March 18th, 2013, 12:11 AM
I live 35 miles from the front gate - and worked for the mouse for 12 years during the 80's and 90's ..... Get ready for the time of your life :)

Disney World resorts with a 10 yr old SO FUN!! and October is the perfect time to come to central Florida (other than March and April!) The Boardwalk is an incredible hotel with all the frills! Lucky you to get to stay there!! :D Yes, you will be able to go in the pool and do so much else.

The Magic Kingdom and then Animal Kingdom on a 2 day park hopper pass. I suggest skip Epcot and Hollywood Studios for this trip- they will be there waiting for you when you come again and you can enjoy them (like Jean said - 3 parks are ALOT and all 4 is overkill!) ..... take the boat TO the magic kingdom and the monorail back to the hotel. Get to the gates early and sign up for the FASTPASSs for Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Little Mermaid and Space Mountain. Be sure to plan to spend the whole day in the park :) sunup to past sundown! stay for the fireworks or electirc light parade or both!! see and do everything at least once! Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion and of course Small World are all must do!! Buy yourself a souvenir refill drink cup when you first get there and hold onto it tight! look past the rest of the gift shops and enjoy the surroundings.

Disney World is like no amusement park anywhere else - you will have the most fun if you build up your energy and stamina for long days of walking, standing, walking, standing, walking some more and not alot of sitting!! There are so many things to do and see on property and at the hotel and all around the surrounding area! OH and there is a new dinner at Cinderellas Castle - i heard it is fabulous - try and do that if you can :)

I am so excited for you ms Wendy!!!

pdjewelrylady
March 18th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Invest in a good set of walkie talkies and an extra camera battery and comfortable walking shoes and don't forget sunscreen!

shannonsaulter
March 18th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Woohoo have fun!!!

RachelMichelle
March 18th, 2013, 01:22 AM
My aunt took me about 10 years ago, I was around your sons age, I had a blast. I don't have any tips but have fun and enjoy!

auntiemern
March 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM
That is what I was thinking. Middle of hurricane season. Just plan everything out ahead of time. Unless Hurricane___________________ decides to hit.
October in Orlando/Kissimmee Florida is the Perfect time to hit the park -- the temp should be beautiful - even though it will still be hurricane season here

if you get the chance -- head over to the -
Medieval Times Dinner threater 4510 W. Vine Street, Kissimmee, FL 34747 --
totally awesome show

kensington
March 18th, 2013, 01:57 AM
I live 35 miles from the front gate - and worked for the mouse for 12 years during the 80's and 90's ..... Get ready for the time of your life :)

Disney World resorts with a 10 yr old SO FUN!! and October is the perfect time to come to central Florida (other than March and April!) The Boardwalk is an incredible hotel with all the frills! Lucky you to get to stay there!! :D Yes, you will be able to go in the pool and do so much else.

The Magic Kingdom and then Animal Kingdom on a 2 day park hopper pass. I suggest skip Epcot and Hollywood Studios for this trip- they will be there waiting for you when you come again and you can enjoy them (like Jean said - 3 parks are ALOT and all 4 is overkill!) ..... take the boat TO the magic kingdom and the monorail back to the hotel. Get to the gates early and sign up for the FASTPASSs for Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Little Mermaid and Space Mountain. Be sure to plan to spend the whole day in the park :) sunup to past sundown! stay for the fireworks or electirc light parade or both!! see and do everything at least once! Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion and of course Small World are all must do!! Buy yourself a souvenir refill drink cup when you first get there and hold onto it tight! look past the rest of the gift shops and enjoy the surroundings.

Disney World is like no amusement park anywhere else - you will have the most fun if you build up your energy and stamina for long days of walking, standing, walking, standing, walking some more and not alot of sitting!! There are so many things to do and see on property and at the hotel and all around the surrounding area! OH and there is a new dinner at Cinderellas Castle - i heard it is fabulous - try and do that if you can :)

I am so excited for you ms Wendy!!!

Ohmy... You are such a good tour guide! I'm going to copy and paste this to my computer! Maybe print it! I ask my hubby to take me to Disney this year. I've never been and I want to go! Making note! Thank you! So much!

PS. We always use Walkie Talkies when we travel! Good tip!

dwil23
March 18th, 2013, 02:43 AM
When you get ready to go, let me explain about how to get the most out of the ride tickets. Fastpass, tht's wht I was tlking out. We loved the ToyStory ride, too. It was our first ride once we got there. I rode the Rockin' Roller Coaster, not bad for a 68 year old gramma! 60 miles an hour and upside down to Aerosmith music! And I lived to tell the tale!

Yes, that's the name of it - Fast pass is pricey, but it sure beats standing in lines for hours on end. I haven't been in ten years - since DS graduated from Kindergarten. Expect to spend some money for sure. If you do have access to a car, I understand there are some great quilting shops in the Orlando area. And yes, October is definitely pool and beach weather here.

Wwena
March 18th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Omg can I come! I can ride the spinning things with him! (At least a couple, I find I can't take as many now I'm grown up lol.)

Have a blast!!!

Monique
March 18th, 2013, 05:32 AM
How wonderful for you and your boy. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

pcbatiks
March 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Yes, that's the name of it - Fast pass is pricey, but it sure beats standing in lines for hours on end. I haven't been in ten years - since DS graduated from Kindergarten. Expect to spend some money for sure. If you do have access to a car, I understand there are some great quilting shops in the Orlando area. And yes, October is definitely pool and beach weather here.

I don't remember the Fast pass costing any extra...........I thought is what a perk for those staying on Disney property. Wendy......I would definitely check into the Fastpass. If we have not been told about it and read about it........we would have wondered around the park trying to decide what to ride first......and would have spent half the day standing in line.

Wear comfortable shoes..........can't stress this enough. The parks are HUGE.......even bigger than you think........just walking from buses or parking lot is a lot of walking...........but worth it...........you will have a blast!

As far as hurricanes.......just watch the weather when the time for your trip gets closer...........if a hurricane is going to be an issue....you will hear about on the weather news well in advance.

buckeyequilter
March 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM
No advice....but I hope you and your family have a wonderful, hurricane free time :)

MarianneK
March 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I live 1.5 hours West from Orlando and NO, Florida is not hot year around. It's presently 57 degrees at 8:15 am. Mid-October the weather will be variable but it is generally warm with the nights beginning to get cool. The cooler weather usually starts arriving in November.

Carolyn23
March 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
DON'T SKIP EPCOT! October is the month that Epcot has their wine and food festival. They have kiosks set up all over the countries of the world part of the park. You can get a "passport" at any of the kiosks and then have it stamped at all the "countries" where you sample the food. There are dozens of kiosks and wonderful samples at each. ($3-$4 per sample). Plus there are a lot of great rides for your son at Epcot.
Try to eat lunch in Mexico. Very cool ambience.

We go every other year to Disneyworld with son and family, and Epcot is one of my favorite days. It is a lot of walking but worth it. You're young! Lol.

Go to Barnes and Nobel and browse through the Disneyworld books. There are some great books out there that tell you prices for various things at the parks and what to do when. Good info.

Oct. will probably be nice weather. We've had days of sixties and rain and then the next day eighty degrees and sunny.

One more thing...make sure you see The Lion King at Animal Kingdom!! It is a live musical and the singers, costuming, dancing, ect. are amazing! It's fantastic and your son will love it!

Jess1377
March 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Wendy that is soooooo AWESOME! :D I recently got invited to go with my sister and her son to DW and my mom said she would pay for the plane tix cause I covered 2 plane tickets in the past for her to come visit when we lived in Washington state. So... I guess we are going to DW Too!! It will be in June though. My son is 10 too, I think its a good age cause he will be able to remember most of it, I am not sure when to tell him about it!

WendyI
March 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone!! Such helpful people! I DID pick up the Unofficial Guide and it's AWESOME! I am thoroughly enjoying reading it.

I sure hope the weather IS warm enough for swimming when we are there because while my hubby is as the conference during the day I was hoping my DS and I could do the water stuff that he doesn't like to do. We won't have a lot of time. We are driving down which I am REALLY looking forward to! Can't wait to see the Smokey Mountains! And we are hoping to check out a few of the places featured on Diners, Drive ins and Dives on the way down. LOL! Thanks for all the tips. We spent half the day yesterday watching videos and the like on some of the shows. I'm not actually a big fan of musicals so we'll see how many we take in. The wine tasting sounds like fun tho! LOL!

WendyI
March 18th, 2013, 11:04 AM
That is what I was thinking. Middle of hurricane season. Just plan everything out ahead of time. Unless Hurricane___________________ decides to hit.

Hurricane Shmuricane!! It wouldn't DARE hit when I was there! And if it does? PFFFFT!! I will be in the Happiest Place on Earth so I won't care! and I LOVE storms! I think I was a storm chaser in another life!

Cat n bull
March 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM
OH HOW FUN!! YAY! I love Disney!

I have never stayed at the Boardwalk, but I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Musical_Starling
March 18th, 2013, 03:03 PM
:icon_eek: CAN I GO TOO?!? PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?!? I'll be a good girl, I promise! :icon_giggle:

This lady has a LOT of info on her blog: http://www.disneytripexpert.com/ And you should eat at least one meal in the newly opened "Be Our Guest" restaurant for me because I want to go there SO bad lol

ilive2craft2
March 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
You will have sooo much fun! We have been 3 times I think - twice with our son and once before he was here. He was 5 the first time and 8 or 9 the second time. I think he had more fun when he was older - wasn't big on the characters that time, but we did more stuff.

We really loved Epcot - it has rides and such too. We had a niece that lived in Tampa, so we tended to take the direct flight to Orlando and since we were there already...we would hit the park for a couple of days. Comfortable shoes are a must! We found that the park emptied out some after 7pm, so could go back to our favorite rides or ones that were too jam packed during the day. Having an older kid has it's perks. Enjoy your trip - can't wait to hear all about it! Lisa