PDA

View Full Version : Baby Lock Tiara

Loonwatcher
March 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Does anyone use this sit down quilting machine? Pros and cons? I like the idea of sparing my back by sitting.

Roxanne
March 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I have the Sweet 16 which is the same exact machine, just manufactured by Handiquilter instead of Babylock. I love it. I have never used a stand up machine so I can't compare the two, but I was used to doing my quilting on my Janome sitting down, so figured this was the way to go. It is so much better than quilting on the sewing machine. Plus, one big advantage - it doesn't take up a ton of space. My sewing area is pretty small. You wouldn't regret it if you bought one.

Loonwatcher
March 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks Roxanne. Is there a difference between the baby lock and the handiquilter?

I tried the Tiara today while on my shop hop trip. Somebody's DH watched and said he would buy one for his wife who was elsewhere in the store. When she worked her way to this room she thought he was pulling her leg, but he wasn't. She was thrilled. I called my DH over and told him the story, but he didn't buy me one.

Roxanne
March 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM
From what I have heard, they are the same identical machine. I would think which one you buy would depend on what your local dealer sells or if there is a big difference in price. I have heard that the Sweet 16 is a little cheaper but don't know that for sure.

Roxanne
March 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Roxanne. Is there a difference between the baby lock and the handiquilter?

I tried the Tiara today while on my shop hop trip. Somebody's DH watched and said he would buy one for his wife who was elsewhere in the store. When she worked her way to this room she thought he was pulling her leg, but he wasn't. She was thrilled. I called my DH over and told him the story, but he didn't buy me one.

You know what sold my husband on this machine? The fact that it is made in the USA. If it had been made elsewhere, I don't think I would have one. He was actually the one who encouraged me to buy it and I was the one who was hesitant. But, now I can't imagine life without it.

K. McEuen
March 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'd love to be able to try one of these machines. I don't have room for a long arm frame, so a sit down would work better for me. It's a shame too, because there is a longarm and frame for a decent price on Craigslist out here, all computerized too.

http://santafe.craigslist.org/art/3657747057.html

Nan41
March 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM
can you say how much you paid for the sit down quilter Tiara?

ceiliam
March 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I have tiara love it. Have tried stand up my issue is my back can not stand for long. I. Find it easier for me to finish my quilts. I got a great deal on it, turned in my tin lizzie.

osuzyquilts
March 18th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Does anyone use this sit down quilting machine? Pros and cons? I like the idea of sparing my back by sitting.

I have a Brother PQ1500. If I had the $$$, I'd have any of the 16" sit down machines, such as the Sweet 16, the Tiara, and I can't remember the name of the Viking one now. I've checked them all out and they all seem to be pretty much the same.

My Brother has a 9" throat space. It's a home sewing machine. What I like about the 16" machines is that you don't have to contend with that throat at your side - just at the back of the machine, which is where you want it anyway so your quilt doesn't slide off onto the floor! I know they have tables and extensions. I would want the extensions on the sides to reduce the sliding off, but even without, they seem to have ample space.

Pros and Cons - The 16" machines don't have automatic needle threading, I believe. Most of them only need oil in the bobbin area, which is actually a plus. They come with bobbin winders and also have the option for a stitch regulator. I tried the Tiara with no stitch regulator and with it and preferred without because that's what I've been doing for almost 3 years. I believe you could use rulers with the hopping foot supplied because it's kind of thick, if you could figure out how to hold the ruler and move the quilt at the same time, that is.

The only real big con I see with sit down machine quilting is that I think its harder to do large designs unless you have them marked. Because you hold your hands in a frame around the needle, usually allowing 4-6" on either side, it's more of a challenge to make designs bigger than 4". So, big swirls and big feathers can be done, you just may have to mark that first line or at least a start and finish. I think large size (anything over an inch) meander is more of a challenge, I have done it, but I think because you have to move so much of the quilt through that needle to create that bigger design, I can't describe it, it's just a bit more challenging.

I have thought about a long arm, and right now my back isn't an issue, but it probably will be someday as I do have gray hair and am a Grandma.

Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm sure it will be great!

DanielaK
March 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Contact you local Babylock dealer for pricing, they may have a springtime sale! The retreat center at MO* has one for our Retreater's to use. The Tiara is a great 16" machine.

Meghan Plamondon
March 21st, 2015, 01:17 AM
Thanks for posting on the Sweet 16 , I gave one a try today and liked it. Did I like it enough to put down $6000 Canadian? Not sure my budget would be happy about that.