PDA

View Full Version : Depression is serious business

cyndiofthevortex
March 17th, 2013, 11:04 AM
When you find someone sitting at the kitchen table writing up his obituary, it is scary beyond words. My younger brother Andrew suffers from anxiety disorder and depression and refuses to take medicine or see a counselor. It seems he has hit rock bottom. Please add him to your prayer list. Thank you.

Evilynn
March 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Depressions truly are the devil. Will be thinking of him!

Lisapc
March 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Many years ago I lost a cousin to suicide. He was always happy and cracking jokes. No one knew he was suffering. He went totally bald very young. It spiraled from there. My aunt lost her only son and has a hard time with "bald" being such a fashion statement these days.

Your brother is crying out for help and thank God for that.

I am praying for him.

SuzyQue
March 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
My prayers for your brother.

Musical_Starling
March 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Prayers from here as well. There is a lot of prejudice toward taking meds and seeing a "shrink", but I am thankful every day for those meds and for the psychologists and psychiatrists because they really can turn someone's life around. Like the commercials say, "Depression Hurts" :(

Jess1377
March 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
OMG, this made my heart skip a beat. Cyndi my heart goes out to you and your brother. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for years and have hit rock bottom before. Fortunately when that happened my DH got me through it, apparently my medicine stopped working... I will pray for you and him that he at least has a moment of clarity of who loves him and who needs him and how he is a valuable person and agrees to start taking his medicine again. Hopefully if he does he goes to get help and gets it adjusted too. Prayers being said.

MRoy
March 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Prayers being said here.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Many prayers will be said for him, it is a very hard climb to get out of that frame of mind, especially if the person who is experiencing it won't seek help. I hope he can be convinced to see a doctor and try some meds, they definitely do help.

EsGrandma
March 17th, 2013, 12:55 PM
My prayers are with you and your family. There is a lot of depression in my family and it truly hurts everybody - will be praying for God's healing touch and that He many hold you all very close.

Mpyles
March 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Will keep you both in my prayers.

ilive2craft2
March 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Will keep your family in my prayers. Depression also runs in my family, but thankfully those affected have sought help and have found meds that work for them. Occasionally, the meds do need to be changed and it tends to be the family that notices that a change needs to be made. I will pray for him to accept the fact that he has a medical condition and it needs to be treated as such.

lilmouse
March 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Depression sucks, been there and done that! He really needs to see a doctor...will keep you both in prayer that he will seek medical help and/or intervention!

Monique
March 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Prayers being said.

alliek
March 17th, 2013, 01:37 PM
This is such a terrible disease for the sufferer. My prayers go out to you and for him . I know the meds can be an "up and down" journey until you reach the right one, and then it may not last. God be with your brother and you.

quilter.martha
March 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Cyndi, I found your post on facebook first and prayed then. I'll continue to pray for your brother. I pray he sees the wisdom in getting help.

Loonwatcher
March 17th, 2013, 03:45 PM
What a very difficult thing. Sending prayers for Andrew and you.

rebeccas-sewing
March 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Isn't there some way you can get him some help? Some sort of intervention? So sorry to hear this, Cyndi. I hope he gets some help.

Mchelem
March 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Having hit rock bottom 2 years ago and spending a week in ICU from an overdose, I can feel your and his pain. My heart and prayers go out to you and him.

GuitarGramma
March 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Dear, dear Cyndi,

I will definitely pray for your brother. May I also offer some hard won advice? Ask your brother if he would be willing to try some vitamins. Get some Jigsaw Magnesium and ask him to take four a day. I cannot begin to tell you how much magnesium helped me, and how much it's helped friends suffering from depression. (Jigsaw brand is time release so you avoid certain stomach issues.) And since it's "not medicine" your brother might be willing try it.

Prayers coming!

kensington
March 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM
When you find someone sitting at the kitchen table writing up his obituary, it is scary beyond words. My younger brother Andrew suffers from anxiety disorder and depression and refuses to take medicine or see a counselor. It seems he has hit rock bottom. Please add him to your prayer list. Thank you.

If you think that he might do something, you can seek help for him. If you can get that note, you can get him in for observation. It may not like it, but it will help him. At first he will be upset, but if it saves his life, it will be worth it.

If he has stated, implied or written things about death, I pray you force him to get help.

HdWench
March 17th, 2013, 05:31 PM
((((((Cyndi)))))))) that is a HUGE cry for help and one you won't hear too many times before it's too late. Oh yes you have my prayers and like many have said, he HAS to get help now. You don't just "pull yourself up" out of this, "get over it"... Major Depression is a lifetime of anguish with the right meds it can be worth living, without meds... well rock bottom is only close to where he is.

I will also say a HUGE prayer that a great doctor can help him understand meds DO help and while it takes a while (10 years for me) to hang on and work WITH them to find the right ones that work with the "tangled" message centers in your brain?

Instead of feeling Broken, the brain has lost like 2 wires that used to send "good" or "happy" signals, those are fried and the only way to get the Seratonine or whatever is needed is via pills :-) Please doctor's help him see the RIGHT meds are out there -- it Takes Time to hit the combo, but in the end his life is Worth it!

((((((((((((both of you)))))))))))) and please don't wait too long -- this note is soooo close to the edge I can only say it won't be long before an attempt to go further if you dont' help intervene. Please

dwil23
March 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Prayers for you and your brother. It is so hard dealing with someone who won't take their meds. Can you call his Dr and give a heads up? I know the Dr can't talk to you due to HIPPA, but maybe he/she needs to be made aware.

Hawaii Roxy
March 17th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Im so very sorry I can relate my son suffers from PTSD and TBI he also dont take his meds like he should and its so hard sitting by watching someone you love suffer and be broken. My thoughts and prayers are with you and him

CrazyMtnLady
March 17th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cyndi, I do not know what to say that would be of help except that I will be praying hard for your brother. May he somehow find the help that he needs to get over this hurdle.

WendyI
March 17th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I don't pray but I can offer some words to say to your brother: Depression/anxiety or any other mental health issue is a disease...plain and simple...and a disease MUST be treated. If he was told he had diabetes and had to take a needle every day, he'd do it. It would suck but that's life and you do what you must.

My mother has schizophrenia and this was what made her finally realize that going off her meds was NOT an option any more. I hope that can help your brother. Having dealt with mental health for my mother, and having suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life, I can tell you this stuff your brother is writing is serious. I hope you can convince him to seek help. ((((HUGS)))))

BellasQuilts
March 17th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Prayers being said now.

snippet
March 17th, 2013, 11:15 PM
My prayers are with your brother and your family. I have suffered from depression for many years and it's not fun.

Gayle8675309
March 17th, 2013, 11:26 PM
He needs to see someone. I spent three separate weeks of my life in the hospital psych ward due to major depression disorder. I was suicidal. My last inpatient was in August. And yes, I take four psych meds and see a psychologist for counseling and a psychiatrist for the drugs.

I would advise you to call his family doctor and tell him that he is writing up his own obituary and that you think he needs medical intervention. You just may save his life.

Kaytessa
March 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Adding my prayers also.

WendyI
March 17th, 2013, 11:37 PM
He needs to see someone. I spent three separate weeks of my life in the hospital psych ward due to major depression disorder. I was suicidal. My last inpatient was in August. And yes, I take four psych meds and see a psychologist for counseling and a psychiatrist for the drugs.

I would advise you to call his family doctor and tell him that he is writing up his own obituary and that you think he needs medical intervention. You just may save his life.

This for sure.

SallyO'Sews
March 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Cyndi, I will certainly be praying for your brother. I have a number of family and friends who have battled depression; I agree with Steffie - but our God is great, and still able to perform miracles!
Blessings and hugs, ~ Sally \0/

Sew Perfect
March 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Cyndi, I am praying for your brother, my friend. He is in a dark place right now and I pray he comes out of it quick, and for you to stay strong for him.

phoots
March 18th, 2013, 12:30 AM
I was diagnoised with anxiety and depression a number of years ago. I can not imagine my life without my meds!! I'm praying for Andrew!

Pam in Vegas

Sandy Navas
March 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I'm adding Andrew to my list of those who need healing. Prayers being said. And prayers for you and the whole family who love him - may you find a way to help ease his pain.

Wwena
March 18th, 2013, 03:29 AM
That IS scary. Is someone able to watch him, do you fear he's suicidal? I hope you can get him to a doctor, I have no idea how to get him there though. :( I hope he takes a turn for the better soon and that he gets help! hugs.

SisterDi
March 18th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I'm also not one who prays, but I will think good thoughts and send out good vibes for your brother. I see my own "shrink" this week, and am glad to be at the tail end of a nasty funk that began last fall. It is so hard, so very hard.

(((((Cyndi&Andrew)))))

WendyI
March 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I hope you can get him to a doctor, I have no idea how to get him there though. :( I hope he takes a turn for the better soon and that he gets help! hugs.

Here in Canada at least, the only way you can force someone into care is if they are a danger to themselves or others. The fact that he was writing an obituary, IMO, tells me he is definitely a danger to himself and it's worth reporting. Although, considering how d(*n passive we are in Canada, they would likely not do a thing until someone attempted something and by then it's too late most of the time.

cyndiofthevortex
March 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you all so much for the prayers, encouragement and advice you've shared with me. I also appreciate the many personal stories letting me know that my family is not alone in our battles with depression. I talked to Andrew yesterday and let him know how much he is cared for. My sister, brother and I all offered him our help to get through this time in his life. We are encouraging him to get help from his doctor and that it is not his fault for feeling like he does, that it is a disease that runs in our family. Many of us suffer with it but all but Andrew get the help we need. Thank you all so, so much for caring for him with me.

CrazyMtnLady
March 18th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cyndi, I will keep you all in my prayers.

HdWench
March 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM
((((((Andrew)))))) you are NOT alone in your fight! It is NOT your fault that some brain mis-fired and now you need meds to keep those chemicals flowing.

You both are in my heart and I pray he sees there is an arm reaching down to help him out of the pit bottom if he wants to grab it

Debbie