PDA

View Full Version : Have you got it?

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Do you have your Cornbeef for tomorrow's dinner yet? For those who like it and are making it, what's your preferred method? I like to slow cook it all day, and make Reubens out of it. I like to eat it with Potatoes and Cabbage first, but my family likes to skip that step and move right on to the Reubens, so it has become our tradition. :icon_hi:

ilive2craft2
March 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Just got back from the grocery store - my Kroger's was out of corned beef!! Had to run to Aldi's and they had plenty left.

I do mine in the crock pot with onions, potatoes and carrots. Then cook the cabbage on the stove with some of the juice from the crock pot. IF we have leftovers, we do sandwiches. Mmmmmm....can't wait until tomorrow!

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Just got back from the grocery store - my Kroger's was out of corned beef!! Had to run to Aldi's and they had plenty left.

I do mine in the crock pot with onions, potatoes and carrots. Then cook the cabbage on the stove with some of the juice from the crock pot. IF we have leftovers, we do sandwiches. Mmmmmm....can't wait until tomorrow!

Good for you! Hold on to traditions. I wonder if I will have to go all the way to Aldi's? My small town store may be out too. Ugh... But, Dh wants to go to the Price Club anyway... So we will be on the hunt! Happy St. Patti's day to you! (Yes, I'm Irish) Irish and Scott. I will use my family Tartan for a table runner tomorrow!

Mchelem
March 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Do you have your Cornbeef for tomorrow's dinner yet? For those who like it and are making it, what's your preferred method? I like to slow cook it all day, and make Reubens out of it. I like to eat it with Potatoes and Cabbage first, but my family likes to skip that step and move right on to the Reubens, so it has become our tradition. :icon_hi:

Why are we eating corned beef? Is this a good luck thing like black eyed peas on new years?

ilive2craft2
March 16th, 2013, 05:01 PM
It's St Patrick's Day and us Irish tend to eat corned beef and cabbage. There might even be some green beer in the mix for some folks! :) On my Dad's side, all 4 of his grandparents came to the US from Ireland.... :)

bkthomas
March 16th, 2013, 05:03 PM
My Moms maiden name was Mac Namara.......no corned beef here.

HdWench
March 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Yummm slow cook ours in the oven with Cabbage - Leftovers?? sometimes then yummy Rubens!!

What tartan is yours Kennsington?

My fav is Black Stewart though it's not one I "should" be allowed to wear - but ... hey it's America we can do what we want lmao

Debbie

grannyann
March 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I have mine and I cook it slow on the stove. Carrots potatoes cabbage and corn beef in one pot. I do it Jan. 1st also , something about good luck for the New Year But sad to say it didn't work for me but it does taste good.

Lisapc
March 16th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I got ours last night. I slow cook mine on the stove top and make an American Soda bread to go with it. It really is so moist, just like a cake. Maybe I will post the recipe later.

GrammaBabs
March 16th, 2013, 06:02 PM
This will be the 3rd year for my annual Corned Beef Dinner... we've extended to 5 couples this year... i'm the one that likes to "entertain cook"... last year one of the newer couples hubby,,, said, "if your cookin' i'm comin"...LOL
Here at Oakpoint... i am one of the very few that still loves to cook... not fancy, just home cooking,,, and i hate most of whatever i get "out" except for pizza... so it's gotta be Next Friday March22... all were available then... DH andi went "cherry pickin" as my DD calls it, for the bargains... i'm all set... will clean house on Wed... (never again do it all the day before... getting too old for that)... Guests will arrive at 5...

laf512
March 16th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I have mine in the crockpot right now with some cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. I guess I am a day early ;) my kids have been asking for it since last year. Ha! I need to get stuff to make Reuben's with the leftovers. Mmmmm!

shannonsaulter
March 16th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I do mine in my roaster oven..potatoes,cabbage and corned beef all together and I add a pint of Guinness for extra flavor.
Got a great deal $1.78 a pound so I got 4 packs 2 for tomorrow and
2 for the freezer.

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM
HdWench, Ours are Macfarlane... 42922

and Lamont... 42923 Lamont is the one I will use.

bkthomas
March 16th, 2013, 09:53 PM
So a Tartan is just Scottish? not Irish?

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 09:53 PM
PS... we got a nice Corn Beef. I'm going to put it in tonight, so I can smell it cooking! We are one of the couples hosting the "New People" dinner tomorrow after church, and I have to take Mexican for that, but I will be eating Corn Beef when I get home!

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
So a Tartan is just Scottish? not Irish?

Both the Irish and the Scottish wear them. It's a clan thing, each clan had their own tartan, which is the pattern in the fabric that kilts, sashes, hats etc are made from. You were known by your tartan.

Also, O' on the front of a name indicates Irish, and Mac on the front indicates Scott, but not all have them. My great granny was a O' Halleran, my Grand mother was a Macfarlane who Married a Lamont. My maiden name was Lamont.

bkthomas
March 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Oh, I see - my moms maiden name was MacNamara and I always thought that was Irish....

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Google it. It may be. I was taught it this way... I'm all for learning something new!

Well, I googled it, and it is Irish. Maybe Mac, or Mc, is the one that is either or?? I know O' is Irish!! O'Malley, O'Halleran... O'... anything. LOL. But so is Mac or Mc Namara!

HdWench
March 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM
HdWench, Ours are Macfarlane... 42922

and Lamont... 42923 Lamont is the one I will use.

Love the colorfulness of the Macfarlane, but the Lamont has the look of Black Watch which of course, being a nice green and black with a stripe outsells them all! LOL I'm German, something, a bit of American indian, something ... But I wear my Black Stewart Skirt when I can - Got a photo somewhere (from ages ago?)

So glad you had photo's - I love seeing the various tartans!

God look up Buchanan - Those POOR peps... bright orange and omg bright yellow *gag*

Lindagie
March 16th, 2013, 10:16 PM
My MIL's family have a McFarland tartan. I've made corned beef and cabbage with carrots, potatoes, and cabbage on the stove, in the crockpot and in the oven. We are skipping it this year due to DH's diet, but maybe next year! I think my best efforts were in the crockpot.

New York Sue
March 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM
This will be the 3rd year for my annual Corned Beef Dinner... we've extended to 5 couples this year... i'm the one that likes to "entertain cook"... last year one of the newer couples hubby,,, said, "if your cookin' i'm comin"...LOL
Here at Oakpoint... i am one of the very few that still loves to cook... not fancy, just home cooking,,, and i hate most of whatever i get "out" except for pizza... so it's gotta be Next Friday March22... all were available then... DH andi went "cherry pickin" as my DD calls it, for the bargains... i'm all set... will clean house on Wed... (never again do it all the day before... getting too old for that)... Guests will arrive at 5...
I always have fussed about the floors, until a few years ago. When you have a 'boat load' of company, nobody notices the floors. There's too many interesting people to talk to, right? The floors WILL need attention in the morning, however.
Another thing I learned along the way, when hosting a large party. Put decorative napkins in the bathroom for guests, and a readily available waste basket. SO much better than drying your hands off on a community towel. EWE...

Hawaii Roxy
March 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
If my memory serves me correctly I did some research once along time ago on the "Cairns" name it too WAS Irish and used to be O Cairns but the Cairns clan was run out of Ireland because they were bad people ,they came to America and dropped the "O"

aliaslaceygreen
March 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
IF I could get anyone else in this house to eat it.... grrrrr.... And I wanted a loaf of Irish soda bread, but they had none at the grocery store....oh, it's times like these I REALLY miss NYC....I would make colcannon, too...but really, it's a lot of food for just me!

bkthomas
March 16th, 2013, 11:10 PM
If my memory serves me correctly I did some research once along time ago on the "Cairns" name it too WAS Irish and used to be O Cairns but the Cairns clan was run out of Ireland because they were bad people ,they came to America and dropped the "O"

I am sooo not used to you posting on here! I was reading this and thinking, "Oh, I've gotta tell Roxanne this....big duh!

kensington
March 16th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I am sooo not used to you posting on here! I was reading this and thinking, "Oh, I've gotta tell Roxanne this....big duh!

Well, Yeah.... ROTFLOL. Duh! Too funny.

bkthomas
March 16th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Google it. It may be. I was taught it this way... I'm all for learning something new!

Well, I googled it, and it is Irish. Maybe Mac, or Mc, is the one that is either or?? I know O' is Irish!! O'Malley, O'Halleran... O'... anything. LOL. But so is Mac or Mc Namara!

Well, that is interesting because in my search I found that it was Scottish and most of the time it looked to have mostly green - but on the register it came up mostly blue - and also it is MacNamara - McNamara does not exist (in my search)

Hawaii Roxy
March 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM
roflmao you dork tater!!! yes please tell me the story maybe you should like call me n stuff :P

Lisapc
March 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
IF I could get anyone else in this house to eat it.... grrrrr.... And I wanted a loaf of Irish soda bread, but they had none at the grocery store....oh, it's times like these I REALLY miss NYC....I would make colcannon, too...but really, it's a lot of food for just me!

I have a really easy and really good recipe for the bread if you want it?

aliaslaceygreen
March 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I have a really easy and really good recipe for the bread if you want it?

Thanks! I HAVE a good recipe, but there are these things called Laziness, impatience and a sudden urge for something, you know? LOLWHAT kind of grocery with a good bakery doesn't have Irish Soda Bread two days before the holiday? They have Easter cakes already!

My DD's Italian grandfather is usually the Irish soda bread maker. Her Irish grandmother is in charge of the Italian Easter egg bread. Go figure. But they are both in SI and we are not.

SallyO'Sews
March 17th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Don't do cabbage, just onions & carrots in the crockpot with the corned beef...
Which I forgot to put in the crock pot this morning before church; didn't remember until the pastor was giving the benediction.:icon_doh:
So, we'll be having corned beef on Monday, March 18.