PDA

View Full Version : Did I put my foot in my mouth at LQS??

lsmithbendor
September 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I went to a local quilt store yesterday afternoon...I got a bee in my bonnet that I wanted a Hello Betty Charm pack and so at lunch off I went. They carry some charm packs/jelly rolls (tho not a whole lot) so it wasn't like I knew they didn't carry them. I looked around a bit and after ending a call, the saleslady approached me, smiling and very friendly and asked if she could help. I smiled and said, well I've already looked around and I'm thinking you don't have one, but I was looking for a Hello Betty Charm Pack? She pursed her lips, snapped "I don't have that", turned on her heel and walked away.

Did I do something? I'm pretty new to the whole quilt shop thing, I always had to go pretty inexpensive before. Now that I've found precuts...I go more frequently. Perhaps she was just having a bad day, I dunno, it was just a really odd interaction that left me feeling like I'd put my foot in my mouth by asking if she had one.

? thoughts? Did I commit a LQS sin, lol?

stitchywoman
September 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong!! My LQS doesn't carry much by way of precuts either maybe she was just having a bad day or she doesn't like precuts and is very upset about the direction the new quilting generation is going and charm packs are just not charming to her!!!! 8-) Just kidding ;) I really don't think you did anything wrong at my lqs I just keep mentioning how I like them and my favorite things I do try to buy somethings but I don't always though it's very difficult for me to come out of a fabric store empty handed! Even when the typical fabrics are not my style I usually find something! :lol:

She was probably just having a bad day... don't give up on her yet :)

Quilt Vader
September 6th, 2009, 04:34 AM
ISmith - I'm sure it wasn't you .. she was wrong however .. without a good explanation that is a firing offense. :V
perhaps another trip in to see her and compliment what IS there might make peace. There may have been something ugly going on in her day and you just kind of tipped her scale! Make another trip in ...

sewhot
September 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mean people are....mean. Sorry. I have had similar experiences and have hated it. She probably was just having a bad day....but still. She could have been nicer! Don't let it ruin your day though, or that means that she 'won'. :)

Maybe she wishes she had more precuts..... :lol:

jeanniebee
September 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
lsmith don't let it get you down. That is the worst though when are analyzing the whole conversation trying to figure out if it was something you said or why she would respond like that. I agree with vader, better to give her one more chance and hope it was just 'one of those days'

and sewhot, we all wish we had more precuts ;) I wish they came in more sizes than 5 and 10 inch too, that would sure be nice. :D

shell.scraps
September 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I wish they came in more sizes than 5 and 10 inch too, that would sure be nice. :D

Have you seen the latest "New Quilters" tutorial?? 5 1/2 x 22 baby!!! some new RJR fabrics called Twice The Charm cuts......LOVING the possibilities there.....

and I wouldn't stress over the LQS....we can't control other people responses.....only our reactions to those responses...so chin up...give her another shot before writing her off....she may have just been having one of those days we all have....

Quilt Vader
September 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
ABOUT THOSE PRE-CUTS, THERE AE SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM: there are the small honey buns now, and the triangles.. I think of apple turnovers every time i see them .. those jelly rolls can be sewn into strata and make new blocks, or sew 2 strips together for HST's, and the turnovers.. the are perfect for larger HST's to make Square In a Square blocks - no block cutting, and so many varieties ... and colors. As I said before, i was not a fan at the start - but as has also been said - man do they save time and budget, not having to buy 'extra' fabric. True mine ends up in stash, but so often when I' m done with a project I'm done with that fabric, also.
It's a holiday - let's put on our thinkin' caps and see what new pattern or design or use we can come up with .. I'm really all about saving money these days.

sewhot
September 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Well spoken vader....well spoken!!

:V thank you.

toggpine
September 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
You may have been the 400th person that had asked her for something in that line that she doesn't carry. I know it is hard to predict what will be a hot seller and what will linger on the shelves. She may have chosen to not carry those, and now is regretting it.
That is still not a good enough reason to be snotty though. A nice, "I'm sorry, we don't carry those, or we didn't get any of them in." would have done the job, and not alienated a potential customer. I would give the shop another try, but they would be on "probation". If I was displeased with my next trip in, I might write a letter and let the owner know why I wouldn't be returning to the shop. If it is a cranky employee they need to know that, and if it was the owner, it might wake them up a bit. With such great online places like MSQC we have the choice of where to spend our precious fabric money.

jrchapman
September 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I know the feeling about putting your foot in your mouth. I try to support my LQS but it is much harder to get some of the ranges over here in the UK so I end up ordering them online from the US. I ordered some charm packs from MSQC and I was in the LQS the other day and spotted them out the corner of my eye - oops. They are much cheaper on here though (even taking into account the postage to the UK).

I never know whether it is appropriate to then take the blocks in to pick borders, backing and batting etc. I figure giving her a little bit of trade is better than none or is it rude to take in fabrics bought in other places?

Natalie
September 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hi jrchapman,
We never have a problem helping people match fabric that they already own (regardless of where they purchased it!) for borders, backing, binding etc... So, I say yes. Bring your fabric (or your projects in progress) into the shop to match fabric, and if your LQS isn't helpful then try a different shop! I think customer service is a large part of how small businesses stay open. Hope this helps!
Natalie :)

jrchapman
September 23rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Natalie x

toggpine
September 24th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'd have to agree with Natalie. In this economy if I owned a LQS, I would be happy to help anybody buy fabric from my store. Even if it was to go with something they had bought somewhere else. They came in to my shop looking for something, a specific fabric, better customer service, advice, or just to browse. How better for me to earn their repeat business than to fill the niche? But, that is just me, if I owned a LQS.