PDA

View Full Version : Embroidery

TraceyG
March 15th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure which thread to put this under...So, I said this looks like a good spot. I'm sure many of you have emroidery machines as well in your Arsenal of tools. I'm Considering one for lettering and perhaps some small embellishments on quilts. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for one, but I do want something that will do relatively large fonts. Maybe 1 1/2- 2" tall. Any thoughts??

Thanks!!:icon_bigsmile:

kelliedi
March 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Brother makes one that you can change the fonts on as far as size and at Walmart too
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-PE-500-Embroidery-Machine/20612403

KatiesQuiltingCorner
March 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Most machines can do that size font but what you need to be looking at is what HOOP SIZE you want to get. For beginners I recommend at least a 5x7 to start with. Simple beginner machines start with a 4x4 hoop and you will very quickly outgrow that plus you don't have much room for a long name using larger fonts.

A lot of people start with the Brother PE770 (http://amzn.to/YaxrLX) which has a maximum hoop size of 5x7. If you can afford it I recommend going bigger but buying a used machine so you get more bang for your buck.

TraceyG
March 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Ok, I was just looking at the PE770, I read the walmart comments about the one in the link and that was the complaint...the hoop size. I can find the pe770 for about $600 new. Is there a "used" forum or webiste out there I could check out?

GinnyKNC
March 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
My mom has a brother and see loves it. Brother is the only one licensed for disney and the disney designs come with it. The hoop was too small for me but it suits my mom just fine.

Claire Hallman
March 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I got my Brother with a 4x4 hoop from Craigslist and quickly realized that 4x4 was not enough for me. I then bought another Brother from Craigslist with a 5x7 hoop. Actually it is not the hoop that is 5x7 it is the design limit. If I had the money I would get an even bigger one but probably still a Brother as I am very happy with it other than the size limit.

TraceyG
March 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help! I did't even think of Craigslist!

Bubby
March 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Check eBay and Amazon also.