PDA

View Full Version : Update on my DD

RFREE
March 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hey all my quilting buddies. It has been a few weeks since I posted anything about my DD and her anxiety issues so here is the latest.
I took her out of school and put her on home bound for 3 weeks in hopes that this would give her anti anxiety medication (which was doubled) time to get in her system. She returned to school on March the 4th and spoke with the principle about the issues that were causing the panic attacks and they worked out a plan that would help her cope with certain situation such as when there is a pretty lengthy test scheduled she wants to go to the library to take hers as the dead silence of the classroom triggers them.The library is quite but not DEAD silent and she does way better there.Weird I know but guess what??? It works real good for her! YAY (happy dance) also the "crush" of class changes also causes her to trigger but if she feels she needs to leave 5 minutes early the teachers of her classes are letting her do that as well. I am so proud of her. She has been back in classes for the last 8 days and has only had 1 bad day but she stuck it out and stayed all day. I thought I would give yall an update on how everything has been going.
Hugs from KY
Rhonda

Blondie
March 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Rhonda,
I am so happy to read this. What wonderful progress and it is terrific that the school is being pro active with her. Finally, some good news about a school!
Blessings to you!
Blondie

Jean Sewing Machine
March 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Good for her. Hope she can hang in there and finish out the school year. Miss you a whole bunch!

pcbatiks
March 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Oh Rhonda..........that is such good news!! I've been wondering how things were going for her. So very happy for you both and will continue to pray for her! Thanks for letting us know. Wishing the best for you family.

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Glad to hear that things are looking up for your daughter. The teen years are hard enough without all the added problems the poor girl was having.

grannyann
March 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Great news . I know you are so proud of her and her progress. We are all proud of her and cheering her on.

buckeyequilter
March 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM
That's good news and I'll pray that she continues to improve. :)

Lisapc
March 14th, 2013, 09:06 PM
That is just wonderful. She is lucky to have such a proactive and understanding mother as you are.

shannonsaulter
March 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM
That is great news..so glad the scho is working for and with her!

Sandy Navas
March 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I'm so very excited:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgqjXYhPi7s2jR8j1WPJbRfCmsKTav4 w1M2h_IKCTp395e1cJc2Q

MRoy
March 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Rhonda, that's great news. Tell her we're all supporting her and cheering her on!

RFREE
March 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks everybody. The school staff has been wonderful. The freshman principle sent out a very nice e-mail to all her teachers explaining the things that trigger her attacks and with me being an employee as well he sent it to me and it brought me to tears. I am so proud she took it on herself to go to him and explain exactly what was going on all by herself.If you knew my DD you would be proud too. She had 3 weeks to get her thoughts together and she went for it. Now she is sooooo glad she is back into the swing of things and I am confident she will finish out the school year just fine.

auntiemern
March 15th, 2013, 12:20 AM
This is wonderful news Rhonda. I have been thinking about you and wondered how things were going. So happy for the update.

SuzyQue
March 15th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Rhonda---what great news you sent! I am so happy for your DD! Yeah! I am thrilled that your persistence and the school's help will get her through this year! I am so proud of her for speaking up and getting her needs met!

Sandy Navas
March 16th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Quite a different situation, but I feel I have to share. Our daughter had a wonderful friend in high school who was wise beyond her age. However, she was close to flunking out of school because she did poorly on exams. She spent time with our daughter, who (unfortunately) usually ace'd her exams. Valarie, however, being very knowledgeable, did poorly. I approached the school on her behalf (her parents weren't very supportive as they were usually stoned beyond belief) and asked that they give her an opportunity to take oral rather than written exams. She surprised everyone (but not me) because she graduated with honors rather than being flunked out.

One of the major reasons I have so many disagreements with our school systems. Don't try to main-stream everyone. Not everyone sees and dreams the same way - what you see as a gorgeous blue may screech on my nerves like chalk on a blackboard. You may be able to read and comprehend, I may need a visual. Someone may lecture in a large hall, but if you get me aside I can probably outshine everyone. You want me to paint the apple red? What if I'd like to bite into a PURPLE apple?

I did a few years volunteering at our daughter's school, working with the special education group. One young man, Brian, was flunking out of 5th grade and it was well-known that he had only been moved forward because the teachers couldn't cope (nor appreciate) him. I was given the wonderful opportunity to work with him one-on-one. It was almost fruitless, yet in the end one of the most rewarding things I have ever participated in. One day I sat with Brian and asked him what he'd like to do when he grew up. His response? "I would love to be an oceanographer."

The next time I met with Brian he was terribly shaken and quite honestly, scared. He was supposed to do a 10 page paper on a subject (I don't remember what it was right now) and make a diorama to support the paper. I approached his teacher and asked if he would mind Brian doing the assignment with a different topic. The teacher was very 'well, why bother' and 'I couldn't care less what he does' . . . and 'he can't do anything right, so whatever'.

Brian made the most fantastic diorama depicting creatures under the sea, wrote a wonderful article (without assistance, mind you), and got the very first A he had ever made in school. Why? Because I took the time to see where Brian was coming from and help him find the materials he needed to satisfy his dreams. I've always wondered where he wound up in life - he would be in his early 40's now.

I am one of those people who need minimal noise in the background. I need the radio or TV on when I'm working - subtle and unobtrusive. BUT don't put me in a crowded room where everyone is trying to talk over the next one - my hair stands on end, my skin turns green and peels in chunks, and my eye roll into the back of my head. My fingernails grow long and curl back into my palms and I totally flip out.

Ask me how well I deal with Al's large, Spanish-speaking family (love them each and everyone dearly - BUT they have to try to out-talk everyone and each voice gets louder and louder) or how well I deal with all my granddaughters (and their MOTHER and my HUSBAND) in the same room . . . I digress.

All I can say to Rhonda is God Bless you and your daughter for realizing that there are different strokes for different folks. And please pass along a very special Thank You to your daughter's principal - he sounds like a truly passionate man in the right place.

His first name isn't Brian, by any chance . . . ?

rebeccas-sewing
March 16th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Gosh, Rhonda. You're sharing lots of good news! Weight loss and your daughter getting back to school are two accomplishments that are cause for celebration. Hopefully, the longer she's on the medicine the better it will get. High school was definitely the most difficult time in my daughters' lives. They are now 22 and 26. Life is so much better for them. If I had to go back in time it definitely would not be to my high school years, even though mine were quite uneventful. I wouldn't mind being 30 again. That was the year I married Joe. Happy, happy times!!!

RFREE
March 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Gosh, Rhonda. You're sharing lots of good news! Weight loss and your daughter getting back to school are two accomplishments that are cause for celebration. Hopefully, the longer she's on the medicine the better it will get. High school was definitely the most difficult time in my daughters' lives. They are now 22 and 26. Life is so much better for them. If I had to go back in time it definitely would not be to my high school years, even though mine were quite uneventful. I wouldn't mind being 30 again. That was the year I married Joe. Happy, happy times!!!

Thanks Rebecca but it was Rhonda M who lost weight LOL I only wish it was me. If I lost that much I would be my high school weight and that was 30 years ago. My daughter is doing great though!

RFREE
March 16th, 2013, 09:27 AM
What a great story Sandy! Once again..Brought me to tears. But unfortunately her principles first name is Scott:(

Evilynn
March 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I am glad your daughter is doing a lot better now! I'm sure she will be able to finish the year now. And mind you, approaching people to explain them your difficulties is NOT easy!! Very proud of her!

Great story Sandy, and yes you are right - not everybody learns the same way! Some need more visuals, some learn from hearing, some from reading, etc.

MayinJerset
March 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Great news . I know you are so proud of her and her progress. We are all proud of her and cheering her on.

Yes happy that things are going better and we are cheering her on, May in Jersey

HdWench
March 16th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Wonderful NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Congrats to her for also Staying AFTER she had 1!!! So what if she had to double the pills what ever it takes to help her in school with the schools amazing help!!

So glad to read your update on her -- Sending her and you all my thoughts and prayers!

SallyO'Sews
March 17th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Rhonda, thanks for the update on your DD!! So happy for you both. Give her a hug from all of us and tell her how proud we are of her! Blessings, ~ Sally \0/