PDA

View Full Version : I have a mystery

Hulamoon
March 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM
My aunt passed away in 2010 and I was taking care of her before she passed. I decided to keep the house, I fixed it up, I mean total renovation,landscaping and everything. The whole shibang. So it's rented out . A few gliches with the renters, but not too bad.

Well I get this personally written letter today from a stranger that they want to offer cash for the house. She want's me to email back or call ASAP.

I'm thinking how the heck does she know my name and address? I emailed the realator that helped me. I don't think she would of given that info out. So it must be the renters. But why?

Mpyles
March 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe it's one of the renters parents or family and they want to,purchase it for them??? Let us know!!

bkthomas
March 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hopefully the realtor will get back to you soon.

Cat n bull
March 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Usually land and property titles are public record. Could they have gotten the info from the town?

Slamelung
March 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Maybe they like the house so much they want to own it.

Mchelem
March 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM
My aunt passed away in 2010 and I was taking care of her before she passed. I decided to keep the house, I fixed it up, I mean total renovation,landscaping and everything. The whole shibang. So it's rented out . A few gliches with the renters, but not too bad.

Well I get this personally written letter today from a stranger that they want to offer cash for the house. She want's me to email back or call ASAP.

I'm thinking how the heck does she know my name and address? I emailed the realator that helped me. I don't think she would of given that info out. So it must be the renters. But why?

If you own the house, and your name is on it, this information can be retreived via the internet, as long as they have an address.
In Dallas, its called DallasCAD (central appraisal district) and its viewable to the public. We use it to get owner information for projects, so that we can send the owner a letter if the general contractor or someone doesn't pay us for services rendered (we own a plumbing company).

Unfortunately, you can gain a lot of information about people that they don't realize can be obtained.

Hulamoon
March 14th, 2013, 08:43 PM
What would be a nice way to respond back? Umm noo. lol

Mpyles
March 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Not in the market to sell! But thanks for the offer!

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2013, 08:54 PM
You can get owner info and how much taxes are on the property from our county website.

As far as how to respond back ... it was an unsolicited offer, I wouldn't feel the need to respond.

grannyann
March 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I agree with Karen

Hulamoon
March 14th, 2013, 09:05 PM
That's two way's to go. I'll wait for the realator I guess. She wanted to sell for me but I wasn't ready. It's sort of a little of my income right now and I wanted to keep in case I wanted to move or for my daughters. It's a really tiny house but in a really nice neighborhood. I know most of the neighbors because they knew her. Really nice people.

Sandy Navas
March 14th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I love Karen's idea - short and sweet. Not for sale, thanks for the offer.

shannonsaulter
March 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Are you interested in hearing an offer? The response would depend on that..

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Of course the realtor wants to sell for you, she gets a 6% commission. Or it might be more by now.

I'm not sure I'd even trust someone that just came along and offered to buy my house. If you do end up meeting up with them, take someone along.

Hulamoon
March 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Well I'm in Hawaii and the house is in Los Angeles. I only talked to the renter one time when the window from the forties broke because her darn dog, which was supposed to be small (40 lbs turns out) broke a beautiful window (huge) because he was jumping on it when the usps guy comes. It was glass that had that swirly hand blown effect. I cried for about two day's. It was orginal to the house. I felt so sick.I just happened to call her for the first time and the window repair guy was there.

It was all thier error but that glass was so pretty. :( So they paid. :)

Ginny B
March 14th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I wonder why they want you to email or call "ASAP". As far as how to respond, well, I suppose you don't really have to respond but a polite. "Thanks, but I am not interested in selling at this time." should be all they need to hear. If you do meet with them, I agree take someone with you for sure and meet in a neutral place --- like a coffee shop or something.

Keep us posted.

Ginny B

ChristineB
March 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Wow! That's interesting - getting a letter out of the blue like that. And, the fact that you are in two different states!!!
I agree with Karen, it was unsolicited so you don't need to respond at all. And, if the realtor had anything to do with it, she certainly wouldn't connect a buyer to a seller directly, that would me she would lose out on the commission.
If you know somebody who lives near the house, maybe ask them to do a drive by to make sure everything looks ok with it.

toggpine
March 15th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I'd ask someone to drive by and take a look at your house just to be safe.

It might be odd, but I very nearly did the same thing. I was out in the country on a job and I passed a piece of property a couple of times. It was like it called to me. I slowed down to look at it more closely, and I had the feeling that it was "home". I even went so far as to look up the property owner, and they lived out of state. The more I thought about it, the less practical the location was for me to live (too far from my job, and no real local job opportunities), but I had the letter composed to send.
I went by a few years later and still got that feel.

I can hope that this is the case. The other option is someone looking to buy real estate in the area. They saw that you were renting the place out and were an out-of-state landlord, and figured it might be a headache for you and you might jump at the chance for a sale.

Hulamoon
March 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I think that's right on the button toggpine.

The thing about this property is that is located really close to a really sought after school. It's up in the mountains? lol
Our future president is there . lol

Tanya D
March 15th, 2013, 02:21 AM
No need to respond.

Hulamoon
March 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I think so too. I'm just going to ignore it. It was too out of the blue. If the realator would of brought it up I would of said something just to to her. I just don't want to keep getting weird emails from someone I don't know. She can spend her energy on sending me letters. lol

Mchelem
March 15th, 2013, 03:46 AM
We get unsolicited emails and phone calls all the time. Drives me nuts!!

Recently we got a call about someone (in another state) wanting to purchase our business. I told him we weren't interested in selling and he just refused to listen. I finally had to hang up on him and then he called back!!! I used the "please stop harassing me on my business phone" line and he hung up. Irritating!!

Hulamoon
March 15th, 2013, 03:59 AM
We get unsolicited emails and phone calls all the time. Drives me nuts!!

Recently we got a call about someone (in another state) wanting to purchase our business. I told him we weren't interested in selling and he just refused to listen. I finally had to hang up on him and then he called back!!! I used the "please stop harassing me on my business phone" line and he hung up. Irritating!!

This was adressesed so personaly. Lorie, hello my name is.... On yellow pad paper. It sounds so sincere and desperate at the same time. lol

I have a couple more hundred of I spy squares to cut out so if another letter comes or the realator emails I'll let you guys know:)

rebeccas-sewing
March 15th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I'm the executrix for my aunt's estate. I have received at least 3 letters from various people wanting to buy my aunt's home. I think these folks keep their eyes on obituary's. The info. in the obit. helps them access the public records. They get the name and address of the person in charge of the estate from that information. That information has to be made public so creditors can contact the person who is responsible for the estate if the deceased has debts to be reconciled. All of that is taken care of in probate. Once all debts are cleared then whatever is left is distributed to the inheritors. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I think this is how they got your name and address. Ignore it. These folks are mainly looking for a great deal on buying a house, most likely an investment property.

Bubby
March 15th, 2013, 05:45 AM
If you pay taxes on the house, the name of the owner is public information. It's quite simple to get that type of info. Barb