PDA

View Full Version : I am down in the dumps

cyndiofthevortex
March 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I hate to whine, but I am having a really hard time adjusting to life back here in New Hampshire after my vacation. I have gone from a care-free, warm, beautiful place to the cold and snow of New Hampshire with all the responsibilities of life. I haven't even gone into my sewing room for two weeks.

My motto when I feel like this is "Do The Next Thing" on my list of things to do. But I can't even make a list! So I'm here to ask you, "What should I put on my list of things to do?" Can you help me?

ilive2craft2
March 14th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Put some music on loud and dance like no one is watching! :)

kensington
March 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM
1. Look at your own Avatar and smile.
2. Do something fun and nurturing for yourself... Bubble bath, candles, music... relax so you can create in your mind!
3. Get away for the day... go to lunch, take a walk, just be away from the house for some time.
4. Buy something. LOL. Even the most simple thing can perk up my day! Less than two weeks til Easter... Have you bought your Egg Dye kit yet?

auntiemern
March 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Listen here missy. You get out of that funk right now!!!!. You have a wonderful, new foster GD, and a family that is a true blessing. Do what Lisa said. Put on something you just gotta shake your booty to. I have several of those. Get the kids together and have a dance party. We, my DH and I, dance with the grands all the time. Spring will be here shortly, I promise.

shannonsaulter
grab a warm drink and a movie you love

pcbatiks
Hi Cyndi............I usually dread coming back to the "real world" after having fun and relaxing somewhere on vacation. I would think that it is a harder adjustment going from the warm climate back to the cold & snow. You probably didn't even realize how much you needed a vacation. Are there any quilt shows in your area coming up? Saturday is Worldwide Quilting Day......maybe your local quilt shop will have some tempting activities. There is a quilt show in our area tomorrow and Saturday........if you can get here by morning.......I would love to have you go with me! :D But seriously.......I do hope you feel more like yourself very soon.

I just watched one on the Quilt Con lectures by Angela Walters on Craftsy..........I really liked it and now want to try some of the modern style quilts!

jsmetcalf
March 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I get where you're coming from. For Christmas, my husband and I took a cruise to the Virgin Islands for a week. It was absolutely fabulous...something we had never done before. Came home to the cold Virginia winter and a farm full of animals! Needless to say, it was a rude awakening to be back at my old life - not that I dislike my "old life" but it doesn't exactly compare with the beaches and sea air. My sewing room was still is the process of being finished so I sped that process along and got to sewing. Nothing soothes the soul, quiets the mind, and keeps your hands busy like creating something. I know you haven't been in your sewing room in awhile, but go back in, find something to create, and maybe you'll feel better. Try something with a springy print...it might make NH more tolerable through the last little bit of winter.

alliek
March 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Great advice I think I'll do that now! Seriously, The first thing is "go into my sewing room" even if you just straighten out and put everything in order, then DANCE! You have to get moving, when the body moves so does the mind. You need a hug also so((((()))))) and remember Spring is COMING!

SallyO'Sews
March 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hi, Cyndi! I find that being deliberately thankful in everything (even if it's not FOR everything), those blues really can't get a hold on me. I had to learn to do that many years ago (long story, but the short version is that God won and I am glad!), and it has helped me tremendously. Go take a look at those vacation photos and be thankful you were able to go. Be thankful you live in a place where there are four distinct seasons.

Be thankful you raised a daughter who is willing to make sacrifices for other people's children! That one is just amazing to me.

Be thankful for your aging body... Getting old may not be fun, but it sure beats the alternative! :D

Be thankful that so many people here not only care about you, but are so wanting to read your uplifting posts that we are willing to pull you up out of your sadness!

Hugs,
~ Sally \0/

Lisapc
March 14th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Make a cup of tea, pull out your favorite quilt, the summer issue of Quilting Quicly, hand hubby the phone if you can and give in. Just give in. Wallow in a few moments of Blah! I gave up fighting that feeling last week and spent every day napping. I don't do that.

Emotionally I am right down the road from you and physically 1 hour and 10 minutes tops away from you. I would come drag you out of the house but I might run into my MIL and I don't like her and she lives down the road from you.

Make spring and summer plans. Are we going to meet up at the quilt show in April? Take some mental time for you and go to bed early. Tomorrow when you wake up you should feel more like yourself.

Swedish leo
March 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Go fabric shopping!! Even if it just in your own stash. When I am feeling a bit down I go and pet and reorg, my fabrics and it make me feel better!

Love Annika

Bubby
March 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Do the math...count your blessings and before you are done counting you will be smiling again. Barb

Tanya D
March 14th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Lots of great ideas already posted here.

Winter is a tough season...we've had snow on the ground since mid-October and it's snowing out again and will continue to snow right thru to Sunday. It's dreary, it's colorless and yes, it's at times depressing.

So do something you love...something that makes you smile. Turn up the music, cook your favorite meal, sing, dance. Watch a funny movie. Go to the greenhouse and get some flowers that you can nurture until planting season. Or go buy yourself some pretty flowers at the flower shop (if I waited for hubby to buy me flowers, I'd never get them).

I hear that new Oz movie in the theatre is amazing, full of color...ask your hubby on a date and go see it.

Someone else mentioned looking thru your vacation pictures. If there is one in particular that just brings you back to that moment, order it in a larger size, head to Michaels and buy a nice frame and hang it up where you'll see it all the time.

I hope you can find something to cheer yourself up :) Big hugs to you Cyndi :)

Loonwatcher
March 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Cyndi, it might be a bit of a haul for you but starting tomorrow for the next couple of weeks Vermont is having its shop hop. There are, I believe, three shops in south eastern Vermont that are all awesome. Take a day trip. If you google Vermont Shop Hop you can learn all about it.

GrammaBabs
March 14th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Cindy and Lisa.... if you two go..(to MQX in Manchester).. let me know what day you plan... i am going for the whole thing with a friend....i'll try to open some time for whichever day you two come... not sure which day my classes are.. but when i get my "more final" schedule... i'll let you know!!!!..:)
OH,, and as for being "bummed"... i am a pro at that one... just hang in there... it will pass... and remember... we have so much to be greatful for.. honestly...we do... it's just hard to "push thru it sometimes"... but keep as positive as you can...hugs Barbara

Mom23
March 14th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cyndi,

I too just got back from a vacation to Mexico. Came home to rain/sleet/snow. I woke up mad every morning. Yesterday I decided to get myself out of the funk I was in, so I decorated for Spring/Easter. It helped me at least feel more like spring when I'm in the house. Went to lunch with a friend today just to get out of the house. Hang in there, spring will be here soon, hopefully!!

bhaggerty
March 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Grab a picture of a landscape from your awesome vacation and make a landscape quilt! You are awesome at those!

kensington
March 14th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Flowers perk me up! Last week I had my brothers and sisters for dinner, and I picked up some colored daisy's at the store and filled a vase for the table. It made my day! I love fresh flowers. I like to take a bouquet and split it up into small vases all over the house. That perks up every room!

Also, I have a TV and DVD in my sewing room so I can pop in a comedy, romance or a musical when I am in there to keep me company. It works really well.

I am feeling better today. You were right about the swelling, and I thank you for that! Still yet to try your hubby's idea though. I laughed and laughed! Be encouraged, you helped someone who was down!

Monique
March 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Oh Cyndi I hope you find yourself out of your funk soon. Do something that makes you smile, no matter what it is. We all get moments like these.

Sandy Navas
March 14th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I hate to whine, but I am having a really hard time adjusting to life back here in New Hampshire after my vacation. I have gone from a care-free, warm, beautiful place to the cold and snow of New Hampshire with all the responsibilities of life. I haven't even gone into my sewing room for two weeks.

My motto when I feel like this is "Do The Next Thing" on my list of things to do. But I can't even make a list! So I'm here to ask you, "What should I put on my list of things to do?" Can you help me?

As I told Al this afternoon "I'm headed down the road to BJ's RV Sales, picking up a small traveling home, get the keys and drive off just as I am . . . I did tell him if he wanted to go with me he could. Ever try to reattach a clothes dryer hose/vent? Nuff said.

Lisapc
March 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Cindy and Lisa.... if you two go..(to MQX in Manchester).. let me know what day you plan... i am going for the whole thing with a friend....i'll try to open some time for whichever day you two come... not sure which day my classes are.. but when i get my "more final" schedule... i'll let you know!!!!..:)
OH,, and as for being "bummed"... i am a pro at that one... just hang in there... it will pass... and remember... we have so much to be greatful for.. honestly...we do... it's just hard to "push thru it sometimes"... but keep as positive as you can...hugs Barbara

A week before the show I will be starting a thread. I have never been to one and am sooooo excited.

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM
The gloom and grey of winter can be a real downer. That is probably one of the first things I noticed about New Mexico when I moved here. We have blue skies probably 350 days out of every year. It makes a huge difference in winter.

I just shot this out the living room window where I am house-sitting this week. The sky is bright blue and you can see the mountains behind the house next door. The snow on the mountains Monday has almost all melted off now. I don't think you can see any in the picture.

cyndiofthevortex
March 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM
You guys are all the best. I want to reply to every post individually, they are all so great! I feel very much cared for. Tomorrow I am definitely going into that sewing room, if only to look around and touch my fabrics. I have a date with Jonas to go to Keepsake Quilting this weekend, and we are going to go to the New England Quilt Festival in April. Now I'm going to go to bed with a nice quilt magazine and think about all things quilty.

Suzyq
March 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Oh I would so love to go to Keepsake Quilting! Lucky you, and the quilt festival in April... You have so much to look forward to... Today's a new day, one day closer to spring, flowers peeping out of the ground ...we're almost there... How are you today? Don't forget to get into that sewing room.... You go girl!

Iris Girl
March 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
browse through the net see what makes you happy, look at jennys tutorials see how wonderful everything is something will make you say Yes I want to do that, If all else fails come here and read the forum it will give you inspiration.

rebeccas-sewing
March 15th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I bet you're in need of sun! Is it starting to warm up where you live? As we all know, the winter months can make for the blues for lack of sunlight. Try to get out in the sunlight if you can. A nice walk might be just the thing.

Slamelung
March 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hope you are feeling better today. Life's everyday responsibilities can be a little wearing day after day. Lets find the sunshine in today.

Lisapc
March 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
How are you doing today? I really hope a lot better.

CrazyMtnLady
March 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Cyndi....hope your blahs pass quickly. I loved the idea of putting on some music and dancing.....And since I need to start some spring cleaning this weekend I think I will do just that....Dance!!!!

Open a window and listen to the birds....it sure sounds like spring here!

WendyI
March 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Glad the blahs have passed. (((HUGS))))

Tanya D
March 15th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Cyndi, I hope you woke up today feeling refreshed and loved and most importantly HAPPY! I hope the sun shines on you today.

Happy Friday!

lilmouse
March 15th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Hope you are feeling better today!

cyndiofthevortex
March 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Choose some fabric and iron it - check
Cut out squares for some pinwheel blocks - check
Clean off sewing machine table - check
Change thread in machine - check
Check thread tension - check

I'm on my way!