• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tanya D
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2012

Sewing machine envy

I have a quilty friend who I went for lunch with yesterday. During lunch she was talking about wanting to buy a new sewing machine. She had a list of features she was looking for and said she had kind of found one but she was going to think about it a bit longer.

So lastnight I popped over to her place to pick up a pattern we had talked about. She said "Come upstairs, I have something to show you!"

Well, didn't I come upon a very pretty, newly purchased sewing machine. It's a Pfaff Creative 2.0 which up until last night, meant nothing to me. She told me to sit down and put a piece of fabric under the needle. She said, "Now press the pedal". I said, "Where's the lever to drop the presser foot down?" She repeated, "Press the pedal".

Oh my, what a dream machine that is. It dropped the presser foot, it put the needle down, it backstitched, it sewed like a Cadillac and then it backstitched and cut the thread!

I have a little Singer that I think my mom paid $189 for. Granted, I've made some pretty quilts on my little machine but boy, what a treat it would be to sew on her machine every day.

One day, I will have the $$$ to afford such a nice machine.
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859
  • Cat n bull
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Sewing machine envy

I ADORE Pfaff's Creative machines.

They frequently have no interest financing options, plus rebates.

Cathryn

Comment

• Roxanne
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2012

There are some super nice machines out there if you have the money. I love my Janome but it certainly isn't top of the line by any means. Your friends new machine sounds wonderful!

Comment

• KatiesQuiltingCorner
        The Guild President
        • Dec 2011

I started on a little Janome 415 so I feel your pain! Trying to quilt my own quilts was not easy. I ended up making 9 quilts for a friend and selling several others on commission to pay for an upgraded machine.

I also have the Creative 2.0 and it's a great machine. I bought a used version at a discount from a great dealer. It made it really affordable.
        Katie's Quilting Corner
        Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
        Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

Comment

• pcbatiks
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

Wow.........that sounds like fun!!
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Iris Girl
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2013

I have the quilt expression 4.o and it is a dream to sew on. got a good deal on it had to travel an hour but was 700 bucks cheaper than the local shop AND I did not have to trade in my old work horse for that price!!!
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

• K. McEuen
              Super Moderator
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2011

I've had my Creative 1471 for 20 years or so and I purchased it used. It's still going strong.
              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

• kensington
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

I just got a new Janome, it does everything you mentioned except put down the foot. This is interesting, I need to go drive one of these and see what it's about. LOL.

Comment

• Cat n bull
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

kensington, the REALLY sweet thing about them is they also RAISE the foot back up again when you stop sewing, if you ask it to.
                  Cathryn

Comment

• Cat n bull
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Iris Girl I have a QE4 also, and a Creative 4.

I LOVE the QE4 for FMQ!
                    Cathryn

Comment

• janluna
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2009

I worked on a Phaff 4.0 at a quilt shop, when I took a class. It was wonderful! I think I still want a Janome 12000 some day. I wouldn't turn down a Phaff though if one passed by me. lol Right now I'm sewing on a Singer Confidence Quilter. It was affordable and it sews great. I'm happy for now. So glad your friend got a dream machine. Hugs, Jan L.
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

• Lisapc
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

I have an old Singer that was my mothers that she gave me and it is a work horse. I have a 40 maybe 50 or more year old serger. I also have a 4 yr old Singer Futura ce-350 embroidery machine. I love them all but need to replace the serger because I am just done with it. I want a new Embroidery/sewing machine because the throat on mine is so tiny and the new one I want has continuous hoop function which is something I dream of. I can have it if I earn the money to buy it. I will eventually.
                        Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

• ChristineB
                          The Guild President
                          • Nov 2011

I am looking on line at sewing machines practically everyday. I need to pick the ONE I want and then look for a good deal. My sister has a Pfaff that is about 10 years old. It is really basic and doesn't have any of the new convenient features on it but she loves it.

Comment

• Mchelem
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2013

That's why I love my ruby!!!
                            "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• Tanya D
                              Missouri Star
                              • Sep 2012

kensington, the REALLY sweet thing about them is they also RAISE the foot back up again when you stop sewing, if you ask it to.
                              Yes, it did that too! And it has a deep throat, an extension table and probably 150 stitches to pick from...including turtles, cars, butterflies and bees!

It really was a beautiful thing...I just sat there rubbing my fingers on all the buttons. If you would have said 4 years ago that I would go gaga over a sewing machine, I would have laughed at you.

And quiet as a whisper. Sigh...one day I will have something like that I hope.
                              Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Comment

Working...
                              X