PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine envy

Tanya D
March 13th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I have a quilty friend who I went for lunch with yesterday. During lunch she was talking about wanting to buy a new sewing machine. She had a list of features she was looking for and said she had kind of found one but she was going to think about it a bit longer.

So lastnight I popped over to her place to pick up a pattern we had talked about. She said "Come upstairs, I have something to show you!"

Well, didn't I come upon a very pretty, newly purchased sewing machine. It's a Pfaff Creative 2.0 which up until last night, meant nothing to me. She told me to sit down and put a piece of fabric under the needle. She said, "Now press the pedal". I said, "Where's the lever to drop the presser foot down?" She repeated, "Press the pedal".

Oh my, what a dream machine that is. It dropped the presser foot, it put the needle down, it backstitched, it sewed like a Cadillac and then it backstitched and cut the thread!

I have a little Singer that I think my mom paid $189 for. Granted, I've made some pretty quilts on my little machine but boy, what a treat it would be to sew on her machine every day.

One day, I will have the $$$ to afford such a nice machine.

Cat n bull
March 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I ADORE Pfaff's Creative machines.

They frequently have no interest financing options, plus rebates.

:D

Roxanne
March 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
There are some super nice machines out there if you have the money. I love my Janome but it certainly isn't top of the line by any means. Your friends new machine sounds wonderful!

KatiesQuiltingCorner
March 13th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I started on a little Janome 415 so I feel your pain! Trying to quilt my own quilts was not easy. I ended up making 9 quilts for a friend and selling several others on commission to pay for an upgraded machine.

I also have the Creative 2.0 and it's a great machine. I bought a used version at a discount from a great dealer. It made it really affordable.

pcbatiks
March 13th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Wow.........that sounds like fun!!

Iris Girl
March 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I have the quilt expression 4.o and it is a dream to sew on. got a good deal on it had to travel an hour but was 700 bucks cheaper than the local shop AND I did not have to trade in my old work horse for that price!!!

K. McEuen
March 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I've had my Creative 1471 for 20 years or so and I purchased it used. It's still going strong.

kensington
March 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I just got a new Janome, it does everything you mentioned except put down the foot. This is interesting, I need to go drive one of these and see what it's about. LOL.

Cat n bull
March 13th, 2013, 06:13 PM
kensington, the REALLY sweet thing about them is they also RAISE the foot back up again when you stop sewing, if you ask it to.

Cat n bull
March 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Iris Girl I have a QE4 also, and a Creative 4.

I LOVE the QE4 for FMQ!

janluna
March 13th, 2013, 11:12 PM
I worked on a Phaff 4.0 at a quilt shop, when I took a class. It was wonderful! I think I still want a Janome 12000 some day. I wouldn't turn down a Phaff though if one passed by me. lol Right now I'm sewing on a Singer Confidence Quilter. It was affordable and it sews great. I'm happy for now. So glad your friend got a dream machine. Hugs, Jan L.

Lisapc
March 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I have an old Singer that was my mothers that she gave me and it is a work horse. I have a 40 maybe 50 or more year old serger. I also have a 4 yr old Singer Futura ce-350 embroidery machine. I love them all but need to replace the serger because I am just done with it. I want a new Embroidery/sewing machine because the throat on mine is so tiny and the new one I want has continuous hoop function which is something I dream of. I can have it if I earn the money to buy it. I will eventually.

ChristineB
March 13th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I am looking on line at sewing machines practically everyday. I need to pick the ONE I want and then look for a good deal. My sister has a Pfaff that is about 10 years old. It is really basic and doesn't have any of the new convenient features on it but she loves it.

Mchelem
March 14th, 2013, 01:28 AM
That's why I love my ruby!!!

Tanya D
March 14th, 2013, 02:55 AM
kensington, the REALLY sweet thing about them is they also RAISE the foot back up again when you stop sewing, if you ask it to.

Yes, it did that too! And it has a deep throat, an extension table and probably 150 stitches to pick from...including turtles, cars, butterflies and bees!

It really was a beautiful thing...I just sat there rubbing my fingers on all the buttons. If you would have said 4 years ago that I would go gaga over a sewing machine, I would have laughed at you.

And quiet as a whisper. Sigh...one day I will have something like that I hope.

Roxanne
March 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I worked on a Phaff 4.0 at a quilt shop, when I took a class. It was wonderful! I think I still want a Janome 12000 some day. I wouldn't turn down a Phaff though if one passed by me. lol Right now I'm sewing on a Singer Confidence Quilter. It was affordable and it sews great. I'm happy for now. So glad your friend got a dream machine. Hugs, Jan L.

I have a Singer Confidence as my second machine. It sews just as smooth as the Janome and was about 1/4 the price. I mainly bought the Janome for the deeper throat to machine quilt. Also love the thread cutter. But, since I have a separate quilter now the Singer would be just fine. Bells and whistles are fun but lets face it, the inexpensive machines still stitch the quilt together.

Tanya D
March 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
You're right Roxanne. My little $189 Singer has made 8 quilts.

I don't need one of those machines...but I sure do want one!

Oh, and I got a call from another quilty friend yesterday afternoon telling me she had bought a long arm and frame off of my LAQ as my LAQ is upgrading.

I have some spendy quilty friends!

Roxanne
March 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
You're right Roxanne. My little $189 Singer has made 8 quilts.

I don't need one of those machines...but I sure do want one!

Oh, and I got a call from another quilty friend yesterday afternoon telling me she had bought a long arm and frame off of my LAQ as my LAQ is upgrading.

I have some spendy quilty friends!
I totally understand. Even though I was doing fine quilting on my Janome, I wanted a Sweet 16 and was able to get one. Just cause we don't "need" something doesn't mean we don't "want" it. Just human nature. Maybe your friend will do your longarm quilting for you now! Or, even better yet, let you come over and use it and you can do your own quilting and get experience so that when you can afford your own longarm, you will already be trained :) Sound good?

Tanya D
March 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM
It sounds great Roxanne! I'm pretty sure my friend will let me have a go on her long arm. I hadn't even thought about that...now I'm excited at the thought of it!

Thanks bella :)